• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few questions about Deck Hook jackets

Enigma1938

Hi there

I have a few questions about deck hook jackets.
I'm interested to add one in my collection, but I'm not sure if the common replicas are historical correct. On the sale pages of Bronson or BobDong there are a few differences between them. So the Bronson has 5 hooks on the front and a plain wool liner, while the BD has 6 hooks and a woolen fake-fur liner. So what is correct?
Originals I've seen have always 6 hooks and plain wool liners.
And what about the button/ latch closure on the Bronson collar? Never seen it on originals...
I'm on a budget so I'm not interested in Buzz Ricksons or other "expensive" makers.
Who can help me with some information??

Thank you

Thomas Koehle

Well in general I never seen any evidence of a N1 jacket with hooks.

Of coarse for the shorter deck jackets there have been these clasps to close them - as far as I know the idea behind was to make it easier to close the jacket even with heavy mittens on.

As for the liner I would expect they had in general the same liner like the N1 namely alpaca.

As for original N1 jackets there was usually and kinda of plastic like extra layer inbetween the outer Fabrik and the liner I think to make the jackets water-thight

As for colors the short “deck hook jackets” have been produced in a grayish almost black color which faded to a grey pretty quick under the impact of salt water, sun etc.

I got some samples of the color if you’re interested.

The lettering was done in SILVER but not in white which is a major shortcoming of all repops.

I own brandnew never worn foul weather pants in exact that color tone with the silver lettering.

Not that much details to answer your question but maybe a general overview of differences and situations.

Maybe as an extra information: the hook-jackets did not have a zipper as far as I know.

Enigma1938

Thank you and Danke for your answer Thomas.
Yet there are still some mysteries about it.
The User Geeboo here had a crush for deck jackets a while ago. Here's one of his Threads with some photos of this kind of jacket in ww2 use, so there's some evidence these jackets have indeed existed.

taiAtari

Here's some nice 1944 colour footage of a deck hook, tanker and blue zip/button/alpaca N1 jacket:

Saunders Militaria has had some nice originals come through, here a picture of earlier zipped and the hooked variants: http://instagr.am/p/BzsqXDNBccG/
The Bronson deck hook jacket is your best 'cheap' option, the production model has 6 clasps (the one with 5 is a test sample I think), silver letttering across the back and a dark blue wool(mix) lining. Colour of the shell is also very dark blue as it should be. The button and loop on the collar are wrong, but not that hard to remove.

asiamiles

BR reproduction Deck Zip and Deck Hook jackets have the internal lining. Becomes a nuisance sometimes. And the USN is a semi reflective silver as you mention.
Buzz did them both with and without the interlining which, of course, is hidden. Some prefer having the extra waterproof layer, others have found it 'noisy'. The Buzz has 6 clasps.

Thomas's reply contain some misinformation. As Jack said, unlike the N-1 the Hook and Zip Deck Jackets both had a blanket lining, and they are dark blue, not grey/black.

I have a couple of BR Hook Deck Jackets and a Zip Deck Jacket, but depends on what size you need and how much you're looking to spend.

ausreenactor

Buzz did them both with and without the interlining which, of course, is hidden. Some prefer having the extra waterproof layer, others have found it 'noisy'. The Buzz has 6 clasps.

Thomas's reply contain some misinformation. As Jack said, unlike the N-1 the Hook and Zip Deck Jackets both had a blanket lining, and they are dark blue, not grey/black.

I have a couple of BR Hook Deck Jackets and a Zip Deck Jacket, but depends on what size you need and how much you're looking to spend.

Noisy... I got worried about the 'rustlin'..

Thomas Koehle

Thx for correcting me ...

Like i wrote i would "expect" the short jackets would have a liner similar to the N1 jackets but wasn't sure

Thomas Koehle

That's the BD version i bought 2 or 3 years ago - back then there was the blue version available in 44 only

04YaFos.jpg

bJ2EBfo.jpg

the US NAVY stencil was on the jacket already - i just added the LCI mark (Landing Craft Infantry 539 which participated in the D-Day landings in Normandy

zoomer

Orvis made an unlined version several seasons ago. Decent bedford cord but of course lighter weight (all that is available as a rule). Blue or khaki. No stencils. Cheapish feeling cotton blend cuffing.

The latches are really just gingerbread on such a lightweight garment.

Thomas Koehle

Nice jacket Thomas. I ordered a bronson now. I like their darker blue color more and the fact that they use the blanket liner instead of the fake fur.
I also like the dark blue version more because it is more accurate. Where do you order your jacket? And are they available in 44 or like lately up to 42 only?

Would be thankful for a hint

Enigma1938

I also like the dark blue version more because it is more accurate. Where do you order your jacket? And are they available in 44 or like lately up to 42 only?

Would be thankful for a hint

Bronson only has this jackets up to 42. Unfortunately they are sold out on the Bronson website currently so I had to find a ebay dealer in China who had this jacket still in stock (was his last 42). Jacket is shipped already, I dunno when it will arrive but I expect it will last two weeks except the customs put their hand on it - then it could last up to four weeks more.
As you should know german customs are extremely slow :rolleyes: hope it will slip through

asiamiles

bJ2EBfo.jpg

the US NAVY stencil was on the jacket already - i just added the LCI mark (Landing Craft Infantry 539 which participated in the D-Day landings in Normandy
You did a really nice job - I think such markings add character to the jackets - and you should pick up a BR in your size if you can find one and be unafraid to repeat the process.

I think I'd be afraid of ruining a good jacket, but having just acquired a couple sweatshirts from Japan I may try stenciling something on one of them; USN stenciling often looked pretty rough so it's not like one has to be too neat and tidy, ie. one can afford to make a bit of a mess of it! :)