• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few observations and an appeal.

Micawber

At the risk of ruffling a few feathers or being accused of preaching to some of the converted here...

Since re-registering on VLJ last year I have followed some very interesting threads where repro's are discussed in the minutest detail to the enth degree. Excellent. I have looked at some of the many photos of original and accurate reproduction military flight jackets often photographed against very nice scenic backgrounds. Sometimes it reminds me of a fashion parade.

But next time you don one of these reproduction garments remember to spare a thought...

What about? The accuracy of the workmanship? Materials? Best way to capture the colour and grain?

No.

Just spare a thought every now and again for all those who endured hours in awful conditions and constant danger, sometimes fighting for their lives while wearing the original clobber. Remember the many many thousands who received life changing injuries, never made it back, those that were killed either as a result of accident or in combat. And those who waited back at base - or at home.

Please remember them. All of them.

Wee Willie 01.jpg
Wee Willie 02.jpg
Wee Willie 03.jpg

Brettafett

I do. This is one of the reasons I am so passionate about these jackets (and the era) and proud to wear them. In a way, for me at least, its a way of remembering their 'spirit'... Thats what I choose to focus on. The indomitable spirit of standing up for what is right, for courage, daring and adventure.

Stony

Absolutety! It's always the story behind the object that has inspired and held my interest. Having worked directly with the American Fighter Aces Association for many years, I got to hear the stories first hand from scores of fighter pilots and saw a few of them break down from the memories. I've also heard stories from Harry Ferrier, one of only two survivors from VT-8 that were in the initial attack on the Japanese fleet at Midway. What they went through is unimaginable.

Micawber

I apologise if my initial post comes across as patronising as that was not my intention.

I grew up surrounded by the lucky ones. Involvement in various organisations means that in the past I've helped men and wives of different nationalities walk on the spot where many of their mates took their last steps on this earth and shed tears alongside them while doing so. I've taken many to pay their respects to fallen comrades at cemeteries and have never, ever failed to have been moved. Such occasions have always been a privilege and honour. My message is simply not to forget the price thousands and thousands paid to enable you to wear similar items to that which they wore while fighting for our freedom. Please.

Earloffunk

I think there´s no need for an apology!

It is important to focus not just on being cool it is even more important to understand the story behind the "being cool". I often wonder what it would have been like to fight in a war - taking into account all the issues that you have pointed out in the opening post of this thread.

Smithy

I do too. And there's no damn way I could forget.

My family fought in the skies over Britain, Europe, Africa, and on the ground in Europe, Africa, Burma and the Pacific. Several were killed in action, two were POWS with the Japanese and were tortured terribly. I'm a member of the RAFA, and when it was still going the BoBHS, and have also had much to do with veterans outside my family as well.

I think most here are well aware of the sacrifices made by those who wore this clobber, and especially those with families who were involved and lost members. If this board was a bunch of teenagers then it might be worth pointing this out but you're preaching to the converted here.

You might be surprised how many on here have as close a connection to the war and to those who fought it as you.

Stony

My father served in the P.I., but he was a REMF, so he didn't see any combat. However, both of my older brothers were in Nam and I've heard stories from both of them.

Micawber

I do too. And there's no damn way I could forget.

My family fought in the skies over Britain, Europe, Africa, and on the ground in Europe, Africa, Burma and the Pacific. Several were killed in action, two were POWS with the Japanese and were tortured terribly. I'm a member of the RAFA, and when it was still going the BoBHS, and have also had much to do with veterans outside my family as well.

I think most here are well aware of the sacrifices made by those who wore this clobber, and especially those with families who were involved and lost members. If this board was a bunch of teenagers then it might be worth pointing this out but you're preaching to the converted here.

You might be surprised how many on here have as close a connection to the war and to those who fought it as you.

I agree with all you say and of course I am aware that many have connections. I'm not preaching, just reminding. No more, no less.

MikeyB-17

It has a great deal to do with the reason we're all here. Because we know that it's not just a fashion thing. Most of us probably were aviation and military enthusiasts before we got into jackets. And that's why we did. Because we wanted to have jackets like the guys we read about, or were related to, who did all these incredible things in the name of freedom. Yeah, we quibble over details, and how a jacket looks, it's all part of it. But I think it goes without saying that we, more than most, know what these things represent.

Edward

agreed. its what got me into this "hobby" to begin with. learning about the hardship, the dangers and the incredible losses. I wear my A-2 repro for fun of course but also as a tribute to honor their memories and sacrifices. never forget.

RB25

These men, the greatest generation, they saved the world from tyranny and oppression and are the reason we have the freedoms we do today. these guys are my heroes. Great post to keep their legacy alive and great to see so many that are involved in keeping it alive.

kowalski

quoting the classic; Never so many owed so much to so few...

I will add from myself; thanks to them I can be who I am now, I am a happy man
Thank and praise the heroes every day..that's all I can do for them
My Father was a military aviator.. I have it in the genes:cool: ( on the right)

Attachments

• DSC01423.JPG
    DSC01423.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

kowalski

remember

They fought For Our and Yours freedom!!!!

in my country, memory and gratitude is still alive (monument crash US AIR FORCE Liberator B24 Dinah might )) We have many such places of memory

Attachments

• IoJktkpTURBXy8zNGU5NTlmODNlNDI3ZDBjZjk0MjNhMWU1OGQ3YmVhZi5qcGeSlQMAWM0Grs0DwZMFzQMUzQG8.jpg
    IoJktkpTURBXy8zNGU5NTlmODNlNDI3ZDBjZjk0MjNhMWU1OGQ3YmVhZi5qcGeSlQMAWM0Grs0DwZMFzQMUzQG8.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 196
  • eaba172b4d43a2df699b7e08ee45.jpg
    eaba172b4d43a2df699b7e08ee45.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN3104.jpg
    DSCN3104.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Micawber, there's nothing to apologize for. You're absolutely right.
I do.
History is a part of wearing A-2 and other WWII jackets. To remember about those brave guys is a part of it, they deserve to live forever in our hearts.
They paid too high price for Victory, they paid with their lives for that.
P.S. I won't wear any WWII german jacket because of the same reason I've just said above.