• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Covey Of Jackets

Atticus

Except for an old Michigan State varsity jacket that I'm not sure why I bought, I hadn't scored anything vintage in a year or so---until this week. OK, I did buy my GW A-1 in February, but I don't think it counts 'cause it's still being made and it isn't really vintage.

But this week the curse was broken. I've bought three vintage jackets in the last seven days. With Peter's help, I finally managed to score a Vietnam-era M-65 in unworn condition. Then I stumbled onto a first-pattern CWU-45. Finally, day before yesterday I bought Clark's '67, size 48 Star.

I'm not sure why this is so, but somehow the act of buying a jacket always seems to flush out other available jackets. Kinda like after busting a covey of quail you can always count on kicking up a few fat singles while the dogs are out hunting your downed birds.

Maybe this is why you should always take care to never fire both barrels at one jacket. Or if you do, be sure you've got a couple of shells between your fingers that can be chambered before you move your feet. I've learned the hard way that failing to follow this simple rule will almost surely leave you standing empty handed and forlorn when the jacket of a lifetime pops up in front of you---and happily flutters away.

AF