• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Couple Of Dubows

busdrivermike

I did a side by side with yours and Shawn’s also I hope you don’t mind
And I think it reinforces what @B-Man2 said, differences in contracts
Are a great point to consider when looking at reproductions and definitely when comparing
Reproductions
0C2297BF-1BD1-4D61-AAC2-33F5075E2D10.jpeg
431D18C5-BFAC-4EB7-8408-9A86C75472A9.jpeg

mulceber

I just went through JC's CD of original flight jackets again to look at how the Dubow 27798s fit. I saw some examples that looked to me like Nick's BK 1755 and some that looked like his FS 27798. My conclusion is that it probably isn't a difference between contracts. I think it's one of two possibilities:
  1. Different 27798 jackets were slightly different in how they were constructed, resulting in some of them having epaulets that sit a little further forward on the neck. This might partly depend on the size of the original and how the pattern Dubow was using scaled up.
  2. It could also be a visual effect caused by how the jackets fit - a tighter fitting jacket might cause the epaulets to sit a little further back.

Last edited:

busdrivermike

I just went through JC's CD of original flight jackets again to look at how the Dubow 27798s fit. I saw multiple examples that looked to me like Nick's BK 1755 and Multiple that looked like his FS 27798. My conclusion is that it probably isn't a difference between contracts. I think it's one of two possibilities:
  1. Different 27798 jackets were slightly different in how they were constructed, resulting in some of them having epaulets that sit a little further forward on the neck. This might partly depend on the size of the original and how the pattern Dubow was using scaled up.
  2. It could also be a visual effect caused by how the jackets fit - a tighter fitting jacket might cause the epaulets to sit a little further back.
This is what I joined the forum for, the learning
Personally I think comparing reproductions to originals and other reproductions
Can be fraught with issues
Possible differences with contracts, then just the human factor of having dozens or hundreds of people
Cutting and sewing in Mass production is bound to have inconsistent results
The old adage about not buying a Monday or Friday made car comes to mind
Then when looking at archival pictures you gotta take into account the persons build their posture and stance
Then style of how they like to wear a jacket, off the neck or up against the neck , loose or snug fit ect.....
I know to my non expert eye @Shawn Ali did a really faithful reproduction of the the original jacket he had
It’s impressive.

Last edited:

busdrivermike

Well said, Mike. Ultimately these are tiny differences. I don't think either Five Star or BK/Dubow are making any mistakes here. They're all reproducing the details on the originals they've examined, and we all get to benefit.
I agree if your reproduction matches the original you have it really can’t be wrong style wise
And the amount of time and detail that go into is to our benefit
It would be interesting to have a time machine to see production of originals
The noise the smell of leather and sewing machine oil the people involved
And you know the words that close enough or that’ll do being said.
I know from watching the documentary the cold blue the difference in jackets
Was really remarkable

Last edited: