• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Couple Of Dubows

D97x7

Hi all, think this is my first thread :)
Just wanted to show the difference between the two I own, one Bill Kelso, one Five Star.
As you can see there are small differences in collar, pocket and epilets, to be honest I don't know which is closer to the an original, I suspect the Kelso. But I don't have an issue with the Five Star, it's just different. One thing I'm not sure about though is where the epilets meet the collar, definitely prefer the Kelso on that score.
All in all both great jacket, with the Five Star being exceptional for the price.
IMG_20210103_090800.jpg
IMG_20210103_090828.jpg
IMG_20210103_090834.jpg
IMG_20210103_090844.jpg
IMG_20210103_090854.jpg
IMG_20210103_090909.jpg
IMG_20210103_090918.jpg
IMG_20210103_090544.jpg
IMG_20210103_090548.jpg

Amit

Hi nick hoping you would put this up, it would have bugged me as well, I am no expert but to be honest was surprised when you purchased the 5 star.........

D97x7

I've put on a few pounds recently so the BK is a bit tight at the moment, plus I'd been wanting to try something in goat for a while, so I thought why not, at the FS price point it makes for a good beater if nothing else.

s4rmark

Hi, Nick, great jackets. I also am considering getting a five star A-2, (a Doniger In seal Goat) I’m just having a bit of an issue with their sizing chart. They seem way off compared to my other A-2’s . Are the measurements and sizes the same for both of your Dubows?

D97x7

No, the BK is a 42, the FS is an XL which if I recall is a 46,not sure without checking. BK has a 23 p to p, FS 24.

leper-colony

Great comparison!

Any differences noticed may just go back to the specific example(s) that was/were copied.

Shawn does have pictures of the one he built from, and it could be helpful to go back to those pics to see if its truly not true to the pattern.

The pocket flaps on the 5* are not the typical as you see on repros, but they definitely do match the jacket he had on hand.

Both look great!

B-Man2

Hi all, think this is my first thread :)
Just wanted to show the difference between the two I own, one Bill Kelso, one Five Star.
As you can see there are small differences in collar, pocket and epilets, to be honest I don't know which is closer to the an original, I suspect the Kelso. But I don't have an issue with the Five Star, it's just different. One thing I'm not sure about though is where the epilets meet the collar, definitely prefer the Kelso on that score.
All in all both great jacket, with the Five Star being exceptional for the price. View attachment 50513View attachment 50514View attachment 50515View attachment 50516View attachment 50517View attachment 50518View attachment 50519View attachment 50520View attachment 50521
Hi Nick
Great first post ! Hope you’ll consider doing more. Your photographs are nicely done as well. So... regarding the differences between your two DuBow jackets with the pocket flaps and the epaulettes, quite possibly the reason may have to do with the fact that your jackets represent two different DuBow contracts .For example the Bill Kelso is a repo of a 1755 contract which was the last contract DuBow made in 1943 , whereas the 5 Star represents the 27798 contract made in April 1942. While most jackets from the same maker follow the same patterns there are subtle difference between contracts . Looking at photos of the two contracts in my ELC A2 manual by Gary Eastman there is a very slight subtle difference in the height of the pocket flaps in the two contracts with the 1755 having an ever so slight size increase of the pocket flaps. Regarding the epaulettes, in all DuBow contracts the epaulettes are sewn in front of the shoulder seam as in your 5 Star jacket . So offering my non expert opinion , this might account for those differences in your two jackets .
Cheers

D97x7

Thanks. Well apart from the the obvious hide difference, I think they're pretty much on a par with each other, slider on the FS feesl a little looser in construction, but the knits, liner and snaps feel about the same.