• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A B3 from Aero takes 16 weeks...

Pilot

Try ordering a Goodwear if you think 16 weeks is a long time. You won’t get a better jacket, but you’ll wait a Hell of a lot longer than 16 weeks-which will only put you in about February, and I’m pretty sure that’ll still give you plenty of cold weather in Amsterdam to wear it. And if Winter is over, so what? The thing will probably outlast you, there’s always next Winter, and many more to come. Personally, nice though they are, I don’t believe ELC are nice enough to justify all the extra bucks. IMHO they’ve got into the realms of charging what they can get away with, and good luck to them, but I don’t think their B-3 is better than Aero’s to the tune of £500. I’ve had an Aero B-3 for years, and have no complaints whatsoever.
Discussing WWII Authenticity:
N#1 unmatched Goodwear
N#2/3 Real Mccoys/Buzz Rickson’s ( for BR only older versions... not the recent ones..)
N#4Aeroleather ( for the japanese market)
N#5 ELC with their real maker jackets ( but only earlier versions not showing the “Gobi desert “ cracky shell finish, means when Fenland fleeces were still used ... these were top class )
N#6 ELC with real maker jackets.
N# xyz ...All others ....
Sorry but thats my experience regarding historical details/accuracy ( sold several B-3’s of all kind and prime makers to members here) and having handeled all a.m brands during the last 15 years.

Last edited:

mulceber

when I go to the size chart of Eastman, no size is suitable for a 190 cm length/81 kg weight/100cm chest, so I'm reluctant to go pre owned.

100 cm chest? That’s a 39 inch chest. That’s squarely within Eastman’s measurement range. Shearling required a lot of extra breathing room, since the material is so thick, so you should probably have a pit-to-pit measurement of 23 inches. Maybe even 24. Check out the measurements listed on the website historypreservation.com to get a more detailed idea of what size you need. Most Eastman jackets with a 23" pit-to-pit have shoulder measurements of about 20.5" (52 cm), and sleeves and back length of 24.5" (62 cm).

But I'm a guy with extreme measurements. 6 foot tall, so in general my fear Is that the jacket will be to short..

If you're 190 cm, that's taller than 6 foot. Just shy of 6 foot, 3 inches. I have a chest measurement that is slightly larger than yours, and I'm about 6'1", so you might require a tall measurement. But I'd look at the measurements on Historypreservation.com. Don't rely on Eastman's size chart, as it's very inexact.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Sorry we can't beat 16 weeks on Sheepskins..............or any of our non stock items. That's how long the waiting list of already placed orders will take us to complete
Don't know if you consider us a small company or not? We make around 70 jackets a week, I assume folk are prepared to wait because of the value of an Aero (and the resale value as a used jacket) compared to some other companies pricing for the same product?

MrProper

Sorry we can't beat 16 weeks on Sheepskins..............or any of our non stock items. That's how long the waiting list of already placed orders will take us to complete
Don't know if you consider us a small company or not? We make around 70 jackets a week, I assume folk are prepared to wait because of the value of an Aero (and the resale value as a used jacket) compared to some other companies pricing for the same product?
completely understandable for me. In the current situation, certainly understandable for many.
I'm happy when the jacket is ready. whether that is a few weeks earlier or later is not so important as long as it comes and the communication works.
And the people at Aero are all very patient and helpful.

mulceber

I assume folk are prepared to wait because of the value of an Aero (and the resale value as a used jacket) compared to some other companies pricing for the same product?

That’s an important point to consider. If you ever decide to sell your B-3, you’ll likely get a greater percentage of your money back on an Aero than you will on an Eastman.

elfraty

Maybe these ones may fit.
No waiting except for the mailman.
According to the invoice an ELC 46”.
and for the Aero a large 44”

Pilot your suggestion to look into the german ebay kleinanzeigen pointed me in the right direction. I got in contact with a very helpfull gentleman from Hamburg who gave me all the measures of his size 44 Aero B3 complete seal jacket. All the sizes were exactly the same as my NH Irvin, so no risk there anymore. I finally made the decision and bought my very very first Repro B3. Next week it will arrive. Then you all may judge!!!

elfraty

completely understandable for me. In the current situation, certainly understandable for many.
I'm happy when the jacket is ready. whether that is a few weeks earlier or later is not so important as long as it comes and the communication works.
And the people at Aero are all very patient and helpful.
All my respect and understanding too. Never before I was in the buying a B3 Business before, so for me it was a bit of a shock untill the experts over here learnt me some things about buying a piece of clothing like that.

Pilot

Pilot your suggestion to look into the german ebay kleinanzeigen pointed me in the right direction. I got in contact with a very helpfull gentleman from Hamburg who gave me all the measures of his size 44 Aero B3 complete seal jacket. All the sizes were exactly the same as my NH Irvin, so no risk there anymore. I finally made the decision and bought my very very first Repro B3. Next week it will arrive. Then you all may judge!!!
Happy it worked out for you!
Congrats, best choice!

elfraty

Pre-owned is probably your best bet if you want to avoid paying through the nose. A few B-3s usually come up for sale on the VLJ's sale section every year. You just need to make sure you know exactly what size you need and wait on it. In terms of makers, I'll echo Silver Surfer and tell you that Eastman's jackets are top rate.
Because this German guy even gave me pictures of the jacket with all the detailed measures, it completely convinced me to go for pre owned, unlike what I said earlier. Wow I must admit, I'm really exited..

MikeyB-17

Looks pretty damn good from the pics. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Here’s mine, over ten years old and still going strong.
B87C9972-86C9-4CE9-A278-F39D40A2E97E.jpeg

Spitfireace

Try ordering a Goodwear if you think 16 weeks is a long time. You won’t get a better jacket, but you’ll wait a Hell of a lot longer than 16 weeks-which will only put you in about February, and I’m pretty sure that’ll still give you plenty of cold weather in Amsterdam to wear it. And if Winter is over, so what? The thing will probably outlast you, there’s always next Winter, and many more to come. Personally, nice though they are, I don’t believe ELC are nice enough to justify all the extra bucks. IMHO they’ve got into the realms of charging what they can get away with, and good luck to them, but I don’t think their B-3 is better than Aero’s to the tune of £500. I’ve had an Aero B-3 for years, and have no complaints whatsoever.
I don't think that much extra for an Eastman is justified.

elfraty

100 cm chest? That’s a 39 inch chest. That’s squarely within Eastman’s measurement range. Shearling required a lot of extra breathing room, since the material is so thick, so you should probably have a pit-to-pit measurement of 23 inches. Maybe even 24. Check out the measurements listed on the website historypreservation.com to get a more detailed idea of what size you need. Most Eastman jackets with a 23" pit-to-pit have shoulder measurements of about 20.5" (52 cm), and sleeves and back length of 24.5" (62 cm).

If you're 190 cm, that's taller than 6 foot. Just shy of 6 foot, 3 inches. I have a chest measurement that is slightly larger than yours, and I'm about 6'1", so you might require a tall measurement. But I'd look at the measurements on Historypreservation.com. Don't rely on Eastman's size chart, as it's very inexact.
Thanks, good suggestion. Will get back on the right measurements I find there for myself. Actually the large(L size) Noble House "Irvin" I have I measured completely in cm and asked the german guy to do the same with the B3 he was selling and he was willing to do that and even sent me pictures to proof it. And it was the same size( 44 Aero) So then I was convinced that I could not fail.