• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2's Can Inspire Weight Loss

Smithy

I found I grow more if I only workout two or three days a week. I was overtraining a couple of years ago and hated taking a day off but quickly realized I needed not only recover time but a lot more than most due to my age. And I go for higher reps rather than higher weight. I tore my shoulder really bad (could hear and feel it tear) as I brought the bar down on the bench press. Needless to say I couldn’t do any benching for almost 9 months!!!! Couldn’t even do my preferred wright with dumbbells as it still pulled on my shoulder. That sucked.

I have not ever done fasting . Mentally I don’t think I can do it. I’ve wanted to try. For me it’s more small healthy snacking instead of 3 big meals. I can eat a handful of almonds and a banana or appl and be full an find for another couple of hours.
Walking! Now that I also like to do. Easier onthd body and therapeutic for me. I can walk for miles! love it!

I found it took a couple of weeks to adjust to fasting but now I wouldn't go back. I fast between 14 to 18 hours everyday (I don't have a set rule but listen to my body) and then usually eat one big meal and one or two smaller meals or snacks. I tend to adjust this on the fly depending on what I'm eating or have eaten, so if I'm at a celebration and there's loads of food or cake I'll cut down on what I eat later or earlier. I eat pretty healthy most of the time but with this approach I can eat pizza, have some beers and all the other fun stuff without piling on the pounds. Without doubt the best thing I've done in terms of lifestyle and I would never go back.

Lord Flashheart

There's quite a lot of sense here taking on board all of the comments made. This place has space for anyone interested in flying jackets and so the rest is frankly up to the individual as quite a few have said. I have learnt a huge amount reading others posts and their pics on they forum never mind body shape, exercise or whatever. If you're happy with your jacket that's enough.

I do a pretty sedentary office job so cycling is now my preferred exercise regime. I'm sure in lycra I make an interesting sight. And I still have a lot of affection for my Sportys Pilot shop repro A2 that I got in the 90's when I was young and long before I knew there was so much more to flight jackets. After a few years of it lying unloved in the wardrobe I've reunited with it and been keen to try and keep wearing it because I still love it. So that, my own fitness and the aim of getting a proper A2 have all been good motivation personally. But that's not important here really it it? Appreciating the jackets, their history and not forgetting. That's the important thing IMHO.

Smithy

As Steve wisely pointed out above there's chaps who have medical conditions or take medication which can make it hard to stay lean. But at the end of the day with these jackets, if you like 'em, wear 'em no matter what size you are. None of us are 20 years old anymore anyway and none of us are WWII aircrew for that matter so who really cares. Wear what you want and be happy in it. Confidence comes from swagger and how you wear something and not what you wear ;-)

B-Man2

We spend several hundreds of dollars, pounds, rubles whatever, for a lightweight leather jacket, probably the most expensive piece of clothing most of us have in our wardrobe and then we’re not going wear it because someone might not like how we look in it?????
Now that’s sick!

Last edited:

Smithy

We spend several hundreds of dollars, pounds, rubles whatever, for a lightweight leather jacket, probably the most expensive piece of clothing most of us have in our wardrobe and then we’re not going wear it because someone might not like how why look in it?????
Now that’s sick!

Damn right Burt, wear what you have and have the confidence to do so with a smile on your face and an attitude that you don't give a damn what anyone thinks.

I think the crux of the matter is just to be happy with who you are and who you can be. For those who can and want to change their physiques through exercise or whatever good on them too, the real key is to be happy and confident in yourself.

CBI

you know, my family and friends really don't like my leather jackets. I can and do wear them sometimes but yes, since I know they don't like it, then I am perfectly comfortable wearing something else. I have to agree I don't do vintage well but I enjoy it from time to time!

Silver Surfer

my old man used to say that i have tape worms. eat, and eat, and eat, and stay the same weight. been the same weight for well over 40 years, and i eat pasta [if it were up to me every day], like a danish with my mud, drink beer, wine, liquor, and consume every and all. recently suiting up for a surf, one of the young guys commented, "your the only old guy that doesnt look like a sausage in a wet suit". i told him about my eating-drinking habits, and then said, "i just dont know where it goes". a gal surfer chimed in with, "i know where it goes". cracked up the bunch of us. funny thing is, the weight is pretty much the same, but the displacement is a little different. about the way an a-2 should look, or be worn. i used to be judgemental about over weight guys sporting a-2s and other flight jacket, i have, over the years come to appreciate that those guys want the look,, just as we do.......not exactly the 19 year old bs or fighter jocky look, but something that in their mind, speaks to them. bottom line? ya like what ya see in the mirror?, your other half likes it? go for it. hell, life is too short to get buggy about this stuff.

MrProper

And none of us have the time and money that, say Hollywood actors have. Unless somebody has a secret identity haha

Regardless of the fact that everyone should wear what they want, lack of time and/or money is almost always an excuse not to do any sport. HIT training, for example, can be done at home in half an hour every day. A chin-up bar and a pair of sneakers only cost a fraction of a leather jacket ;)

kirova

while I agree what people are saying: just be happy with yourself, but don't forget to keep an eye out on your health too.

this is coming from someone who used to weight almost 300lbs, had high blood pressure/blood sugar/cholesterol, and started to having kidney issues, my doctor was basically telling me to get my affairs in order (obviously my example is on the extreme side).

over the last couple of years, I have brought my weight down to just under 160lbs, jeans size went from 44 to 32 (but apparently not for LVC!) and all my blood test figures have returned to normal, while A-2 wasn't my motivation, but I went from not able to do up the zipper of my size 44 Aero 42-15142, to have recently brought a new size 42 Aero 38-1711 (Holly@Aero reckons I could've gone to size 40 if I wanted another 15142), and I look much better now, even getting winks and smiles from girls 20 years younger then me these days as I am out and about :)

if you want to loose weight but can't exercise for whatever reason, eat less/better is what worked for me, if you cannot eat less, pad out your meals with lots of veggies (and make sure to not drown then in salad dressing or melted butter), otherwise, just be happy :)

Smithy

while I agree what people are saying: just be happy with yourself, but don't forget to keep an eye out on your health too.

this is coming from someone who used to weight almost 300lbs, had high blood pressure/blood sugar/cholesterol, and started to having kidney issues, my doctor was basically telling me to get my affairs in order (obviously my example is on the extreme side).

over the last couple of years, I have brought my weight down to just under 160lbs, jeans size went from 44 to 32 (but apparently not for LVC!) and all my blood test figures have returned to normal, while A-2 wasn't my motivation, but I went from not able to do up the zipper of my size 44 Aero 42-15142, to have recently brought a new size 42 Aero 38-1711 (Holly@Aero reckons I could've gone to size 40 if I wanted another 15142), and I look much better now, even getting winks and smiles from girls 20 years younger then me these days as I am out and about :)

if you want to loose weight but can't exercise for whatever reason, eat less/better is what worked for me, if you cannot eat less, pad out your meals with lots of veggies (and make sure to not drown then in salad dressing or melted butter), otherwise, just be happy :)

Well done mate, that must have taken a lot of hard work and dedication, worth it though.

Griffon_301

Many good arguments brought along here already...
Following the logic of the original poster, people above 40 should also think heavily about wearing flight gear...combat flying was and is a young men's game and guys above 40 seldom (if ever) flew regular combat missions...top brass on the other hand was not always of the slim type either...

Edward

Wow that’s very impressive! Awesome job! Just shows it can be done and how it can benefit one health wise! It is so hard but worth it in many ways... but... you must be a handsome man anyway as I don’t get winked at by any women my age or 20 years less! Lol!

ausreenactor

I was fine until I came home and started working 4m from the 'fridge'. And it was harder to go for a run with the track so far away.. and I hate road running.. cars, dogs and....people.

kirova

I tried different diets, but every time after I stop dieting, I ended up gaining even more weight. Moreover, probably like most of you, I couldn’t stop eating some of my favorite foods. Obviously, when you eat a lot and do not exercise, you get more weight, especially in your problem areas.

This is just my own personal experience, once I have stayed off certain foods for long enough (probably at least 6 months), then I no longer crave them. Don't go cold turkey overnight (or you will give up within a day), gradually ease yourself off whatever you think you shouldn't be eating, I guess the same principle applies if you are trying to give up smoking or drinking.

same goes for portions as well, I now probably eat only half of what I used to eat.

anyway, my suggestion is, don't treat as a short term diet, but instead a permanent change in life style. Not saying you will have to give up everything you love for the rest of your life, I still eat fast food/sugary snacks and drink beer as well, but instead of doing that 6 days a week, now it is only once every 2 or 3 weeks.

hope this helps and good luck :)