• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2

rob20uk

Hey Guys,

So this is my first military flight jacket (an aero 42-15142-P Type A-2, size 44), I came on here looking for an Irvin back at the start of the year. You guys pointed out the options and I ended up with 2 aero highwayman and an aero civilian 1950s flight jacket. Anyway I have still not pulled the tiger on an Irvin, I'll save that until Autumn when the weather starts to change (Awesome advice from all the forum members by the way).

I really like the classic look of the M422a (which the 1950s flight jacket I have is based off), having said that its much more a winter jacket. As the A-2 is a much thinner jacket than the standard FQHH aeros I decided to snap up an eBay bargain and see what all the fuss about the A-2 was about.

My size is a 42 in civilian aeros and the 42-15142-P Type A-2 I got of eBay is a 44. I got this more as an experiment to see if I liked the jacket style. I am thinking its a bit short and from having a read it sounds like the Bronco A-2 might have a better fit.

So my question is what do you think to the fit?

Please accept my apologies for the sightly grainy pics.

So on to my A2

ydNNhCj.jpg

19CusTb.jpg

EMA6XoV.jpg

For reference the last picture below is me in my highwayman. Its got a really nice fit and less than a weeks use from new on it. Looking forward to seeing how this will start to look in the coming months.

FIZICvG.jpg

Persimmon

I do like a more to the waist size fit but that jacket is too short.
I would not be Surprised it’s a size 44 that has been customized.
The sleeves also look short.

B-Man2

Hi Rob
Unfortunately you’ve learned the first lesson in buying a reproduction A2 jacket which is:
Know your measurements!
Once you know these you will be able to check them against the listed measurements for the jacket you are thinking of buying to see if it will fit you. NEVER go by what the label says. Many jackets will say 44 and fit like a 46 , others will say 44 and fit like a 42. Many jackets are custom made for the first buyer but have a 44 label.
Once you know your measurements you can wade through all of that.
Here’s the best advice I can offer which is know the following:
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam
Shoulder seam down your arm to the end of the knit cuff.
Arm pit seam to armpit seam across your chest.
And in this case knowing your collar seam down the center of your back to the bottom of the knits would have prevented you getting stuck with a short length jacket.
Take this advice and you find an A2 that fits a little better that this one although this one doesn’t really look all that bad.
Cheers
B-Man2

Micawber

Rob,
All things considered that fit is generally not too bad although it appears a tad short in the body. Don't overlook the fact that back in the day trousers had a higher rise, meaning they came further up on the belly and that even raising an arm to hold a phone up will tend to make the shell rise a little. Spend some time going through period photos and you will see the fit of what was after all an issue item was all over the place.

Persimmon

Rob
Can you post please the measurements of the jacket -
Pit to pit
Rear length
Zipper length ( front length )
Arm length
Back shoulder width

rob20uk

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to let this one go for what I paid for it on eBay (£300), and considering its in near mint condition I don't think it will take long to go. I'll use this experience to help me figure out the right type of fit for me lol.

The measurements are below.

Pit to pit = 23
Rear length = 26
Zipper length ( front length ) = 21
Arm length = 24
Back shoulder width =20

It would be interesting to find out if the above are standard measurements for this pattern or if it was a custom job.

B-Man2

The arm length and the shoulder width tell me this was a customers measurements.
A standard 44 has a sleeve of 25 - 25 3/4 inches
Shoulders 19- 19.5 inches also the front zipper length is too short at 21 inches

rob20uk

The arm length and the shoulder width tell me this was a customers measurements.
A standard 44 has a sleeve of 25 - 25 3/4 inches
Shoulders 19- 19.5 inches also the front zipper length is too short at 21 inches

Thanks B-Man2, I was was under the impression I was getting a standard 44. Its a shame as the standard 44 would have fit me perfectly.

eBay return started now ;)

Thanks for your help and advice.

Persimmon

Thanks B-Man2, I was was under the impression I was getting a standard 44. Its a shame as the standard 44 would have fit me perfectly.

eBay return started now ;)

Thanks for your help and advice.

On the listing did it offer the various size measurements. If not that’s good if you were expecting a standard size.

Mind you if they were then I can see the seller saying hang on there, you saw the measurements , to decide if it fitted you or not.

Mind mind you - EBay always these days ridiculously bend over backwards in the favour of the buyer so you should be more than OK

rob20uk

On the listing did it offer the various size measurements. If not that’s good if you were expecting a standard size.

Mind you if they were then I can see the seller saying hang on there, you saw the measurements , to decide if it fitted you or not.

Mind mind you - EBay always these days ridiculously bend over backwards in the favour of the buyer so you should be more than OK

Hi Persimmon, the only measurements were pit to pit then they quoted the standard aero sales page. It gave the impression it was a standard size 44.

If the seller had given the full measurements then I would not have bid on the jacket.

Steve27752

Hi Persimmon, the only measurements were pit to pit then they quoted the standard aero sales page. It gave the impression it was a standard size 44.

If the seller had given the full measurements then I would not have bid on the jacket.
But did you ask for measurements from the seller?

B-Man2

Your good ..... you’ll get a full refund to include your shipping fees