• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Repro Identification

Smithy

Hello all,

New member here with my first post. Firstly I am no A-2 expert by any stretch of the imagination so I am hoping that someone here may be able to clear something up for me.

Recently I was digging around on the net about the late Ray Hanna and found a number of photos of him kitted out in a repro A-2. I posted this on another forum where a couple of people suggested that it might be one of the Eastman Rough Wear repros, either a 1401 or a 27752.

I don't know whether it is possible to positively identify the jacket but I thought that if anybody could it'll be here.

Here's the photos (sorry the first one is not terribly good, neither in size nor quality), and thanks in advance...

Ray%20Hanna.jpg

DSCF0022aaa.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Smithy said:
I posted this on another forum where a couple of people suggested that it might be one of the Eastman Rough Wear repros, either a 1401 or a 27752.

I don't know whether it is possible to positively identify the jacket but I thought that if anybody could it'll be here.

Hi Smithy,

Good .... we need more support from NZ, our numbers are down.

Hopefully someone can help, but if you've posted it on the Hat Forum already, you'll find it's mostly the same team of experts here ... just with different names.

Tim P

While not 100% sure I would happily venture that that is a roughwear made by someone... the curve on the pocket flaps is the most telling sign in that photo at least. If it is an eastman then it is too light in colour to be a 27752. Other makers are less categoric about their shades and may make examples from the same contract (rightly) in a range of shades and hides.

A

Anonymous

HE, at least, doesn't seem the least bit concerned by 'the look' does he ? Ray was a real flier and couldn't have given a flying figg about whether or not his sleeves tunnelled or how loose his jacket was around his middle ! :eek:

I don't think anyone would have gone up to him and said his jacket looked shi'ite or that he didn't look like a 'real' flier !

Dave

rich

I don't think anyone would have gone up to him and said his jacket looked shi'ite or that he didn't look like a 'real' flier !

Dave[/quote]

Not even Rotenhahn? :D

Chandler

JACKET_ HEAD said:
HE, at least, doesn't seem the least bit concerned by 'the look' does he ? Ray was a real flier and couldn't have given a flying figg about whether or not his sleeves tunnelled or how loose his jacket was around his middle !

You can really tell all that by just looking at the picture? Wow. 'Cause by my "feel" of the look on his face in the first image, he looks pretty pissed-off at something, maybe the cuffs on his sleeves? :D

Chandler

Tim P

maybe they are too tunneled, or maybe he cant reach round his back to the pockets....lol

Chandler

Tim P said:
maybe they are too tunneled, or maybe he cant reach round his back to the pockets....lol

Oohh, I get it -- you're slamming under assumption. But no one has ID'ed the jacket yet -- maybe it's a McCoy's? After all, he was from NZ, right?

Chandler

Tim P

I think it is most likely a McCoys in all seriousness. makes sense to me. If one jacket will do.... and for most one will.. you are probably going to plumb for home grown..

Smithy

Thanks all for the help.

deeb7, yes another Kiwi here! Stunning weather here today, nice to be home for a bit.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Smithy said:
deeb7, yes another Kiwi here! Stunning weather here today, nice to be home for a bit.

Yes, always good to be home .... and it is a beautiful Spring day.

All the jackets are in the spare room, hibernating, and waiting for Winter. :)

Andrew

Hiya Tim, good to see you posting.

I have no idea but it appears to have a collar stand the way it's riding up so high so maybe it is a RW.

Interesting too that his artwork on the back also looks like one large patch.

Smithy

Leadsky said:
Hiya Tim, good to see you posting.

I have no idea but it appears to have a collar stand the way it's riding up so high so maybe it is a RW.

Interesting too that his artwork on the back also looks like one large patch.

G'day Andrew,

That artwork on the back is a big Breitling Fighters patch. I believe they were getting sponsorship from them. It's also on the side of the Spit, MH434.

Cheers,

Tim

Smithy

Many thanks Mikey. It would make sense that this is the same jacket, so that collar photo might just help narrow things down.

One of the greats of the warbird scene and nobody today can chuck a Spit round quite like him.

Thanks once again,

Tim

Smithy

rich said:
Welcome Tim, nice to see you posting here.

Is that my old aviation mate "Ethan" eh ;)

Well straight from the horse's mouth...

Had an email from Gary saying that they "made several of these for the Old Flying Machine Co, all of which were Eastman A-2 model in Russet Brown Horsehide. HOwever, this model is no longer available in this shade of Brown."

So there you have it, it was an Eastman.

Thanks once again to all who had a go at nailing what this was.

Tim