• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Poughkeepsie Contract Number 535ac28560

w1rc

This was the only contract awarded to the Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Company Inc. in May 1942. Can anyone please tell me if it is made of horsehide or other leather? What does Gary Eastman’s book say about this contract?

Thanks,

Michael
BAE058A4-D8C3-4EBA-8C9E-74A48F0F6661.jpeg
BAE058A4-D8C3-4EBA-8C9E-74A48F0F6661.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

Not having seen Gary’s book, I assume they didn’t do a DNA test on every contract then? I guess that would be prohibitively expensive. So if it’s visual appraisal only, we don’t really know?

Officer Dibley

If the hide looks like it’s “authentic” in appearance, grain, weight, heft & colour, does it even matter ?
I’m sure pre-mission talk did not consist of young airmen worrying about the type of hide (or pocket placement or collar points...) It was enough for them that it marked them out as aircrew.
Dave

2BM2K

Not having seen Gary’s book, I assume they didn’t do a DNA test on every contract then? I guess that would be prohibitively expensive. So if it’s visual appraisal only, we don’t really know?
27 jackets/contracts were tested for bovine DNA but only 6 jackets provided good DNA samples.

The remaining jackets were assessed visually.

w1rc

I have not seen Gary’s book so I cannot comment. I would love to see a copy before shelling out about a hundred USD but it is privately published and I cannot get one theough the Interlibrary loan system. I am simply curious to know but really don’t care whether it is HH, goatskin or cow/steer hide. I am amazed at the incredible condition of the leather and the liner of this jacket. The knits are perfect and close examination indicates that they were replaced but by an expert. I sure wish I knew who did it because I would send them all my work.

I was suspicious that it might be an early high-quality reproduction based on its extraordinary condition; can this jacket actually be 77 years old? But everything points to a positive answer. Notwithstanding it is a keeper. And yes, it fits me but I won’t zip it closed for fear of damaging the zipper. It is original and still works.

Attachments

• 545E2540-58E2-4D89-B71A-BDD8AFC543E3.jpeg
    545E2540-58E2-4D89-B71A-BDD8AFC543E3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 217
  • A2B0EDCF-4BCC-4F42-88CC-4635320FD728.jpeg
    A2B0EDCF-4BCC-4F42-88CC-4635320FD728.jpeg
    962.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 226F73F2-B8DB-4F0F-9498-5D1B24BDDAEA.jpeg
    226F73F2-B8DB-4F0F-9498-5D1B24BDDAEA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 216
Last edited:

w1rc

If the hide looks like it’s “authentic” in appearance, grain, weight, heft & colour, does it even matter ?
I’m sure pre-mission talk did not consist of young airmen worrying about the type of hide (or pocket placement or collar points...) It was enough for them that it marked them out as aircrew.
Dave
I agree Dave.....I will bet that the boys paid little or no attention to any of these details. They had other things on their minds at the time. But these jackets were a badge of honour and they wore them proudly.

I watched the 75th D-Day commemorative celebrations of both the US and Canada live yesterday. It was sad to see all these frail old men revisiting the beaches at Normandy again, probably for the last time. I did not see one veteran wearing an A-2.

Micawber

I agree Dave.....I will bet that the boys paid little or no attention to any of these details. They had other things on their minds at the time. But these jackets were a badge of honour and they wore them proudly.

I watched the 75th D-Day commemorative celebrations of both the US and Canada live yesterday. It was sad to see all these frail old men revisiting the beaches at Normandy again, probably for the last time. I did not see one veteran wearing an A-2.

Out of all the 8th USAAF veterans I've met, and over the years I met and interacted with lots due to connections with groups and curating the museum, the numbers that enthused about leather jackets could have been counted on one hand. The vast majority were far more concerned with making sure they stayed warm and remained effective enough to be able to complete their duties, getting through their tour, using their off hours to best advantage. A few, a few mentioned that they got their jackets painted but that was generally only after prompting or in passing.

RAF and Commonwealth guys? No chance for the same reasons above.

Happy Hooligan

was this the only contract Poughkeepsie ever had? The reason I ask, is I bought one back in the 90's from a veteran's son. This jacket was clearly goat skin.

Last edited:

33-1729

was this the only contract Poughkeepsie ever had? The reason I ask, is I bought one back in the 90's from a veteran's son. This jacket was clearly goat skin.

Yes, Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co. had only one A-2 contract, W535 A.C.-28560, for 50,000 jackets (link below). There is no reason to doubt your assertion that they made it in goat skin too. Horsehide was first, of course, but as cowhide and goat skin were approved for use they could include any of them within any contract order. The U.S. government procured the materials to create the A-2 and sent them to the manufacturer for construction, hence the garment cost for the original maker was a manufacturing cost and not the complete garment cost (I don’t know if this applies to the Australian flying jacket contract).

w1rc

Does anyone have an idea how long it would take a contractor (like Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co.) to manufacture 50,000 pieces? The contract date was May 1942 and I am wondering what might be the actual life of the contract. Since these things do not have serial numbers it would not be possible to determine approximately when it might have been made. But it might be nice to have a date range......