• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 pocket spacing - again

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

Just stole this pic from Marcel's post in the Photo section and one thing caught my eye.

The wide pocket spacing - do you suppose the A-2 was designed with this style pocket width so that the wearer could access the pockets while wearing a May West vest?????

shavingrules.jpg

Marcel - thanks for the pic,

Bill French

Falcon_52

That's an interesting thought, Bill. I had never considered that. Maybe you are right. That could be the reason that the pocket spacing got wider between the A-1 and A-2 - to accommodate additional gear.

Noel

Striker

Is it a fact that some original A-2 manufacturers had a wider pocket spacing than others?

Personally, I like the way the wider spacing looks. It is interesting if the wide spacing was done for practical reasons rather than style (if in fact wide spacing was done on originals).

Striker

Cliff

Your implying Bill, that someone in Military Procurement "thought ahead" and tied in one design from one manufacture with another design from another manufacture. :eek:

rgds

Cliff

zoomer

The pockets-vs-straps issue was already on the minds of materiel officers in the early '30s, when chest pockets on B-1/B-2 jackets were ordered removed.

It could very well have been an idea from Switlik Parachute, a leading maker of chute gear and sole contractor for the B-1. (And still in business today at http://www.switlik.com.)

hacker

I'm not sure that pictured hasn't been altered. Sure looks like Bill, dawn patrol, Citabria in the background? :shock: