• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 jacket signed by Jimmy Doolittle

Brettafett

Apologies if this has been posted before, but worth a look-see.
Incredible story here...

Copy states...

Group of correspondence and Original WWII A2 Flight jacket, signed by Medal of Honor recipient and aviation legend General James Harold Doolittle.
The jacket is a 1942 contract run; W535ac 27798, by JA Dubow. Size 38.
It has the snap-down collar, sewn epaulets, and collar hook. Some heavy fraying at cuffs, slight tear on the tag, mothing at waistband, and some wear to the leather, but otherwise in good condition - supple leather, lining great. This A-2 Jacket is signed on the inside, "J. H. DOOLITTLE" and there is a photograph of him signing this jacket included with a letter that reads, "It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope that autograph doesn't fade. They sometimes do, you know." -- Letter is dated 1978 and signed "J.H. Doolittle" from his Mutual of Omaha office letterhead in Los Angeles, California. Envelope for this letter bears his return address and name as well. Two New Years cards, both from his home in California, signed similarly "J. H. Doolittle" one dated 1980, the other 1982, each with a personally typewritten message of thanks. Lastly, there is a letter on Mutual of Omaha personal Doolittle stationary, dated 1982, thanking the owner of this A-2 jacket for his Christmas card, signed simply "Jim." The letters are in near mint condition with their original envelopes, and the A-2 jacket is in excellent - near mint condition. 4 full autographs of JH Doolittle and one "Jim." Wartime A-2 Jacket, signed by Doolittle, with a photo of him signing it. Excellent.

67819848_1_x.jpg

B-Man2

I'd refuse to fly...
Or, I'd fly and if I made it, I'd demand a full factory tour (war bonds) of the Dubow factory... and have a custom-made A-2!
LOL! :D ..........That's called the "right of first refusal" . It works a little bit differently in the US Army during war time. You have the right of first refusal.... the US Army then has the right to lock your ass up in Leavenworth Prison for the next 20 years:oops:

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yeah, I'd tell them I want to go, damn I really do! But I just can't lift arms enough to reach the control column. They'd get me another jacket quickly!

ausreenactor

Super pics..

Easy to see who the 'workers' are in each crew. I did up an original enlisted AAF tunic up as a 17th BG tribute as one of the first must do tasks in the late 90s when I found eBay. Stellar task, stellar result (if you don't include the thousands of Chinese killed in retribution).