• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Jacket Mystery Hunt - Son in search of Dad's jacket.

ausreenactor

Gents. From Facebook on the Suit Up! page.

"My father was a B-25 tail gunner in the 14th AF (Jiggs Squadron) in WWII. I recently ran across a 2014 sale online of his A2 jacket, with his name (Howard F Avent) and service # (14188071) written inside. I tracked down the seller but she has no record or recollection of the sale. I would naturally like to purchase this jacket if possible, so if anyone has info on its whereabouts, please let me know. Here's a 2014 pic from the sale, and wartime pic of him wearing it."

66058876_10157347630192760_3145537350696697856_n.jpg

65852359_10157347630277760_3483010501854625792_n.jpg

A matter of hours later Bill Kelso posted that they had it.. What a win....

Officer Dibley

Let’s hope that BK posted he had it because he’s prepared to sell it back to him.
I have to be honest, if i owned an original and a descendent said online they were looking to Find it with a view to getting it back, i’m not so sure i’d say i had it......let alone be willing to sell it to them. Interesting moral question.
Dave

ausreenactor

You're saying someone stole his jacket in WWII, he got a replacement (of course) and the stolen jacket has popped up 70 years later? ;)

Julius

No, I am saying that perhaps he got 2 jackets, or changed jackets for the photo with the guy on the far left...
or, that the guy can't see clearly and his dad is the one on the left. Who knows..

ausreenactor

No, I am saying that perhaps he got 2 jackets, or changed jackets for the photo with the guy on the far left...
or, that the guy can't see clearly and his dad is the one on the left. Who knows..

I get ya.. The 'wink' was the injection of humour indicator... 'Tin Hat Couchy' is thinking it might be a PR stunt by BK?

Julius

Look at this

It reads:
Service
B-25 tail gunner, 14th Air Force, Jiggs Squadron, under Claire Chennault in China. Over 55 combat missions flown. Awarded Air Medal and 2 Bronze Stars.

So a "Flying Tiger's" jacket. I bet now it's more valuable...

Officer Dibley

I wonder if BK offered to sell the jacket at the going rate, if the chap would still be interested..?
Sadly Couchy, i am a cynic like you. Be interesting to see what plays out

mulceber

Ooh, I'll be interested to see how this shakes out. It's so neat that you managed to track down your father's jacket. I hope they'll sell it back to you (and at a price you can afford to pay). My guess is a repro manufacturer will be more likely than most to sell it, seeing as the originals are of little use to them once they've gotten the measurements from them. Fingers crossed!

Also, out of curiosity, what contract is your father's jacket from?

Last edited:

ausreenactor

It never progressed beyond BK telling the poster they had the jacket....on two separate FB pages? Not even a post...

P.S. I am not the one chasing the jacket... ;)

Members online

Latest posts