• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Jacket in Best Years of Our Lives?

Bronco

Hi,
Is there a consensus on the maker of the leather jacket Dana Andrews wore in Best Years of Our Lives?
I'm always amazed at how great this A-2 looks when I see this movie.
Mike

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum Mike. It's certainly not a Bronco! ;) It seems to have a collar stand, wide epaulets and rounded pocket corners suggesting it is a Rough Wear A2.

crazyace

That is a good question. I love that movie and often wondered the same thing. Thanks for the answer Andrew.

cmk-2

I love the scene where Dana Andrews is at his fathers house and he puts the jackets on it sounds wonderful! New and not broken in.

EmergencyIan

^ I noticed that this evening, as well. Name tag and patch is removed on the left side. I noticed because I got a new TV, which is 75” and I can now see so many details in the jacket. The left front of the jackets grain stands out much more than the right front. It’s war surplus, but it’s, obviously, in great condition. The movie is wonderful, and I’ve seen it many times. Because of that, I now find myself focusing in Dana’s A-2 in scenes that he wears it. It aired this evening on TCM and I was taken in by it.

- Ian

jeremiah

wow, I think Dana Andrews was wearing a BK jacket made in victory hide. watched this again last night paying careful attention to the jacket shots. Drapes and creases like mine. even the leather looks similar. what a co-inky-dink.

Juanito

I recall in my hazy memory that discussed on some forum (maybe here for all I know) and the consensus was unequivocally Rough Wear, although I don't think anyone specified a contract.

I have toyed with the idea of making a "tribute" jacket for the movie with Fred Derry's name tag and rank with the "Round ? Trip" nose art painted on the back. Lord knows I have a few disposable A-2s to experiment with, starting with an old Avirex MacArthur Horsehide.

Brent

tumblr_nai246alfW1tus777o1_r1_1280.png
fe7d670a5b73649d7a1b0dcf35858a46.jpg

EmergencyIan

I recall in my hazy memory that discussed on some forum (maybe here for all I know) and the consensus was unequivocally Rough Wear, although I don't think anyone specified a contract.

I have toyed with the idea of making a "tribute" jacket for the movie with Fred Derry's name tag and rank with the "Round ? Trip" nose art painted on the back. Lord knows I have a few disposable A-2s to experiment with, starting with an old Avirex MacArthur Horsehide.

That would be pretty neat! Just keep in mind that in the movie Fred Derry’s A-2 is “plain.” I know that you can see where a name tag and patch have been removed from the left side chest of it. I’m only supposing, but my guess is that’s because the jacket was actually used during the war and had said patches removed before becoming a movie prop in 1946. Again, that’s a guess.

Would be a cool tribute, though. Lord knows the original is one nice A-2!

- Ian

Juanito

That would be pretty neat! Just keep in mind that in the movie Fred Derry’s A-2 is “plain.” I know that you can see where a name tag and patch have been removed from the left side chest of it. I’m only supposing, but my guess is that’s because the jacket was actually used during the war and had said patches removed before becoming a movie prop in 1946. Again, that’s a guess.

Would be a cool tribute, though. Lord knows the original is one nice A-2!

- Ian
Yes, it is a plain jacket. The one in my mind would be a wholly fictitious creating of the man, the jacket and the B-17 in the wrecking yard, which was painted for the movie.

EmergencyIan

Yes, it is a plain jacket. The one in my mind would be a wholly fictitious creating of the man, the jacket and the B-17 in the wrecking yard, which was painted for the movie.

That sounds great, actually! I’d love to see it, if you do it.

- Ian