• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 jacket collar stand- yes or no??

JimO

I am so pleased with my new Five Star Leather goatskin Doniger A-2 (both the jacket & the 5* buying experience) that I am considering having @Shawn Ali make me a seal brown horsehide Werber ( just like the one for @Walt3r ), which has a collar stand.

Functionally, is there any advantage or disadvantage to the collar stand design? Cosmetically, does it add or take anything away from the look of the jacket?

From the images I have seen of well worn jackets with a collar stand, it seems as if the inside cloth lining in the stand area has a tendency to get dirty and worn out (and looks like crap), especially under & around the collar hook. This leads me to believe that this area contacts, chafes and wears against the skin of the wearer's neck and is perhaps a comfort issue.

What say you, owners of jackets with this design?

Thanks in advance for imparting your knowledge & experience!

Jim

ButteMT61

My 2¢ having owned a few of each is I love the collar stand. The workmanship I love and they stand better on me. I’ma big guy so maybe that’s why but I don’t think one is better than the other.
Personal preference. Takes more skill to build I’d imagine. I appreciate things like that.
As for being more prone to dirt I don’t see that. I’m an ocd clean guy and I always wear a collar. So maybe if you’re an oilier skinned person or wear T-shirts often, that would happen??

B-Man2

Hey Jim :)
Early jackets were made with collar stands which supported the collar in the upright position and let the collar sit up higher on the back of the neck . So the lining got a bit more wear in that area . The collars took longer to put together and required more detail. Later in the war several manufacturers did away with the collar stand, as jackets had to be made quickly and collar stands required additional leather or horsehide which was at a premium. If you’re looking for true authenticity and accuracy, then I would have my jacket made exactly as it was in the original contract. If you’d rather not have a collar stand, there are a number of contracts that were made without collar stands. I would check those contracts out .
Cheers
Burt

mulceber

Hi Jim,

My experience has been that the collar area tends to get cruddy whether there's a collar stand or not. See this picture from my original United Sheeplined, which does not have a collar stand:

IMG_2718.JPG

If you compare it to these original Rough Wears posted by Vic (both of which have the collar stand), you'll see the amount of dirt is pretty variable: one of the Rough Wears appears to have a little more dirt than my jacket above, but the other has considerably less:

img_2691-jpg.24723

img_3099-jpg.34495

I'd say go for the collar stand - you already have one without, and variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Never really paused or proceeded due to a collar stand. My beloved Monarch doesn't have one and I am digging the way it sits. The BR Rough Wears here have high collars... I think new jackets will subside in height as you break them in.

JimO

Gentlemen-

Thank all of you for your input & insight. I'm still torn and flipping coins between the 5 Star Leather Weber & Bronco.

It looks like I'll have plenty of time to mull the over while waiting for @Shawn Ali to replenish his seal horsehide supply.

Decisions, decisions...

ausreenactor

Gentlemen-

Thank all of you for your input & insight. I'm still torn and flipping coins between the 5 Star Leather Weber & Bronco.

It looks like I'll have plenty of time to mull the over while waiting for @Shawn Ali to replenish his seal horsehide supply.

Decisions, decisions...

Bronco sounds cooler?

Showerfan

The dream for me would be a Star Sportswear jacket with a RW collar stand. I dig the stand because I dig that button-down, Oxford-cloth shirt look. But I also want the slimmer torso and the rotated sleeves for a better reach. If I could find that I’d be fully stoked.

Any suggestions? Is there a house jacket like that, or do you think Aero would make a 1938 contract with inset sleeves?

mulceber

I think your best bet would be to talk to Andy. A Star with a collar stand would be pretty easy for him to do for an extra £50. If it’s your dream jacket, why settle for something that will be not quite what you want?

Last edited:

B-Man2

The dream for me would be a Star Sportswear jacket with a RW collar stand. I dig the stand because I dig that button-down, Oxford-cloth shirt look. But I also want the slimmer torso and the rotated sleeves for a better reach. If I could find that I’d be fully stoked.

Any suggestions? Is there a house jacket like that, or do you think Aero would make a 1938 contract with inset sleeves?
Normally I would say that ELC is unmoved by any pleas to change or customize one of their jackets. You may have better luck with Aero.
You definitely can have it your way with 5 Star. So it just depends on who you want to build your jacket. Good Luck with it.
Cheers

ausreenactor

Having thrown on the BR RW 23380 last night I am now 'off' collar stands.......

Just my revised opinion.....