• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 jacket artwork - Recommendations

Brettafett

Hello gents,

Looking for recommendations on who to contact in UK or EU, who can paint a great, WW2 authentic, vintage-looking design on an A-2 jacket.
As you can see from the images below, Im looking for something that would pass as 1944-art, weathered, and not shiny new bright modern art.

Look and feel below.

a-2-flight-jacket-art-15-wwii.jpgon3292__1.jpg49e614d50e8a6dc03fd5f0b95c8b4ba3--aviator-jackets-bomber-jackets.jpg44262508_1157179471111698_4576083737430720512_n.jpg44823266_1163625773800401_695538849434042368_n.jpgf5aef46ad214f0a206a0c37d2c22db10.jpg

Micawber

I could but no longer undertake commissions I'm afraid. My chum Robin Mott over in Watford may still paint jackets and might be able to replicate the style you are after, he used to be a member here years ago. Feel free to message me for contact info.

Flightengineer

Wow, Brett, you finally decided !
I sold mine with C-47 art to one friend, now I'm sad for it and I think that maybe one day I'll do it on my AVI.

pathdoc2

Jennifer Thomas in the US can paint anything, a real pro. Attached is a jacket she just finished for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.52.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.52.53 AM.png
    655.4 KB · Views: 590

Brettafett

Thanks guys, yes am aware of Simon Williams, will send an email.
Would prefer UK/ EU artists, posting a jacket to the US and back, plus artwork... ugh ÂŁ$ÂŁ$ !!!

Brettafett

mmmm I am looking for it to fade and crack a bit. Look at those pics above...
Bright, clean art may be beautiful, and striking... but it does not lookWW2 authentic.
I am to be corrected, still learning about actual WW2 jacket art techniques and tricks, but most, if not many WW2 jackets were painted with enamels (what was available), which did crack and rub off (fade) over time.
These jackets were not likely treated and prepared to be painted, like today. And seems a lot of modern artists use acrylics and sealers... Certainly create amazing work that will last forever...
But from what I see for example, ELCs special Edition jackets are done well, but they are staying mum regs the artwork. (I did speak to Rob and Gary a while back about it, but can't recall the details)...

Steve27752

mmmm I am looking for it to fade and crack a bit. Look at those pics above...
Bright, clean art may be beautiful, and striking... but it does not lookWW2 authentic.
I am to be corrected, still learning about actual WW2 jacket art techniques and tricks, but most, if not many WW2 jackets were painted with enamels (what was available), which did crack and rub off (fade) over time.
These jackets were not likely treated and prepared to be painted, like today. And seems a lot of modern artists use acrylics and sealers... Certainly create amazing work that will last forever...
But from what I see for example, ELCs special Edition jackets are done well, but they are staying mum regs the artwork. (I did speak to Rob and Gary a while back about it, but can't recall the details)...
Speak to Simon Williams.

Brettafett

Emailed Josh also!
I have a couple of designs, one I can do myself, but the other is a bit more detailed and intricate and requires some experience... Hence the call out...

Thomas Koehle

Emailed Josh also!
I have a couple of designs, one I can do myself, but the other is a bit more detailed and intricate and requires some experience... Hence the call out...

Since he is not that active on FB lately (at least the last couple of months) i'm not sure whether he is currently taking in new Business - awesome Artist anyway

Micawber

My advice FWIW is to go through lots images of wartime, theatre painted jackets such as those at Wright Patt and then ask if the intricate shading and design work loved by many today were the norm.

Having curated the 91st BG museum I know from personal contact with lots of veterans that Tony Starcer, the main jacket, patch and nose artist with the group would charge a set amount and the stuff was churned out virtually on a production line basis using basic colours obtained from supply on the base or locally mixed to suit. Such was the demand he had guys helping him. Further, such was the rate of attrition of flight crews he was often left with half finished and completed gear due to the owners being MIA or KIA, same applied to painting noseart on aircraft.

Speaking with regards the above group in particular, while there obviously exceptions, generally speaking there just was not the time for overly complicated artistic renditions.

Last edited: