• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 fit

nicky boy

Hi all,

I'm new here. I'm a big fan of the A-2 and the Irvin, and am in awe of the knowledge displayed here.

I'm in the market for a quality A-2 repro, and recently bought this one:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...e?page=displayproduct&subcatid=89&prodid=3099

... from Aero. I know they're not that highly thought of around here but my question is a more general one than fine detail. I sent the jacket back because I felt it sat up just too high on my waist, and wanted a bit more length towards my hips. However, when I see photos of people with their repros on here and in the FL I always think the same - lovely jackets that often look a bit small, for my taste.

I realise this will make me a dumb Cooper/Avirex type in many eyes, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that.

For example, look at the photo on the GW home page:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

To my eyes, these fine-looking fellows are mainly wearing longer, roomier fits than seems to be the chosen style of the A-2 purist. I also know the old adage that there are two sizes in the military - too big and too small. The guy third from the left has surely got one of the former. But the general cut of these guys jackets seems to me to be a little more generous.

What do you think?

You can find WWII-era photos to justify virtually any kind of fit possible, be it sloppy or skin-tight. The bottom line is Just to settle on a fit you are comfortable wearing. It's your jacket and you have to wear it, so who cares what anyone else says or thinks?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
nicky boy said:
BTW, I thought the Aero A-2 was pretty much the nicest leather jacket I've ever handled.

The A-2 is a short boxy jacket.

Maybe you should have kept it .... :)

269sqnhudson

I agree about the Aeros though, they are sometimes a bit TOO short. I'm 6'0 so not outrageously tall by any means and they're a wee bit short on me, even by A-2 standards.

rich

Won't Aero and Goodwear customize free of charge? Might present problems with returns though............

nicky boy

Steve27752 said:
Welcome to the forum. I would go for John Chapmans Good Wear.

Thank you very much. They certainly look beautiful. The choice of various patterns and hides I find a little dizzying, to be honest. I'd love to get in a room with a few of the different repro jackets and find out what fits/suits me. The internet is great for finding people like Good Wear, but these transactions in virtual space take some getting used to. Knowledgable folk like yourselves help in that, of course.

tgd31968

nicky boy said:
Steve27752 said:
Welcome to the forum. I would go for John Chapmans Good Wear.

Thank you very much. They certainly look beautiful. The choice of various patterns and hides I find a little dizzying, to be honest. I'd love to get in a room with a few of the different repro jackets and find out what fits/suits me. The internet is great for finding people like Good Wear, but these transactions in virtual space take some getting used to. Knowledgable folk like yourselves help in that, of course.

I have a US authentic in Russet Horse Hide, and it seems a bit longer than most. I almost wish it was about an inch shorter. However, I have lost about 20 lbs since I bought it, so it is a lot bigger on me then when I started. It was on the verge of too tight before, so now it is more comfortable. The sleeves were way too long, and I had them shortened 1.5".

Terry

I am one of those who tend to try and avoid the "trim military fit" that some of these jackets are supposed have. The pics that some of you were kind enough to show only prove that not all jackets and that fit on the boys of those days. I look at the pilots (Navy) that I work with and very few of their jackets have that slim trim fit. But you have to wonder; is it the cut of modern jackets or the shape of modern men?

nicky boy

tgd31968 said:
I have a US authentic in Russet Horse Hide, and it seems a bit longer than most. I almost wish it was about an inch shorter. However, I have lost about 20 lbs since I bought it, so it is a lot bigger on me then when I started. It was on the verge of too tight before, so now it is more comfortable. The sleeves were way too long, and I had them shortened 1.5".

Terry

Thanks Terry.

I have heard that US/A tend towards the long so they have aroused my interest. I'm 5'11", so no giant, but I am long in the body, which made the Aero standard fit a little too 'comedy' short for comfort. I have wondered whether what I need is a US Authentic length with a shortened sleeve. But, again, it's hard to know wthout being in the same room as one.

DiamondDave said:
NIck,

Another image from the website of Goodwear, Illustrates the point of fit just as well or better. Granted these "kids" are all very young and all, but look at the fit that was good enough for the QM... and IMHO good enough for todays man as well.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Proper_A2_Fit.jpg
]Good luck on your new found, albeit expensive, hobby!!!

DD

Thanks very much, Dave. What a picture. The problem I have is focusing on the jackets with all those young men's faces, full of life , hope... It might break your heart if you thought about it too long.

My budget is a limited one but I fear I have been bitten by the bug. I look forward to reading more wise words from you guys.

dadgad

I have an Aero 1938 repro and is very trim and boxy, short on the hips and with tight sleeves and I love it.
Remember that A2s are "bomber" jackets, structured to be worn in a cockpit, seated.
You wouldn't like to have the collar at eyes sight while piloting.

As far as fashion or personal preferences go, that's another matter.

GL

Robman

Trim military fit is fine, however it still has to fit comfortably. Looking at period photos shows most men with a comfortable drape.