• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 collar fading in the fold...anyone else have this?

EmergencyIan

I have a Good Wear A-2 that I received at the beginning of September. The inside back of the collar where it folds has faded a bit. It's not a big deal to me, though I'm not thrilled about it either.

Has anyone else had this happen with their A-2 jacket? (It doesn't have to be a Good Wear)

- Ian

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Apply a tiny amount of leather conditioner cream, and it should return to the original colour.

better duck

Fading so soon eh? You lucky sod! Many of of have to work hard to get this effect: HWT, wringing, wearing the jacket to exhaustion, and what not.
Isn't fading what these - as close to an original - repros are supposed to do? And what we want them to do?

I can show you "new" and "six months down the road" pics of my ELC Werber, and they'll show that fading is what that jacket did, all over the jacket, not only the collar. Lighter on top of creases, more original collar at the "bottom" of the creases!

merlin

I have a Good Wear Aero that I've worn for about two years. After several months of daily wear I noticed some fading in a few spots, so out came the Pecards and I made the spots disappear. I soon tired of this routine, said "to heck with it" and let the A2 age naturally. And you know what? The more that jacket aged, the more I loved it.

Now, when I throw that jacket on every day, it feels like an old, comfortable, slightly faded pair of jeans. When my new Dubow finally arrives, I'll enjoy wearing a pristine jacket for a few months, then I'll let it age like the Aero.

merlin

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
merlin said:
... out came the Pecards and I made the spots disappear.

I'm guessing you've had a lot more experience at making things disappear than us ordinary folk. ;)

merlin

Right you are David! I used to be a classic OCD with Pecards, I even used to butter my toast with the stuff. Now I use it very rarely.

I think an A2 looks best when it's slightly faded and rumpled looking (but not so much that it looks like it's ready to self-destruct).

merlin

EmergencyIan

Thank you for all of the insightful responses, gents!

I've been breaking my new A-2 in as much as possible. It looks and fits so much better that way. I'm just not so fond of the collar fading on a "seal" brown jacket. However, the Bronco is gorgeous overall, as you might suspect.

- Ian

asiamiles

My Buzz SAT is faded at the collar fold; I hadn't thought about using Pecards to return colour to it but no harm in giving it a go.

merlin

I applied it very sparingly to the faded/worn areas and it slightly darkened and blended it with the surrounding leather. Bear in mind that this is only a temporary fix; two or three months down the road and it had returned to its slightly faded appearance after the Pecards had been absorbed. This is why I quit pecarding it; anyway I've gotten to really like the worn appearance that it's taken on.

asiamiles

Yes, obviously Pecards cannot return the colour due to loss of the dye. It just replenishes and in the process darkens the leather, right?

merlin

Quite right asiamiles. But rather than darkens it, it really just returns the color to its previous state until the pecards is absorbed after a few months. Anyway, this is what I've observed, YMMV. Cheers!