• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 arts

Andrew

Despite being nice jackets, the artwork on both of these are fakes IMO.

silly BIN
seller goes to lengths to convince you they are not fakes.
Both appear in Art of the FJ No.01 pages 38 and 88.
Patch on PLP is on crooked.
Artwork is vastly inferior to that shown in the book- rather contemporary look as well.
Artwork on LRB is exactly the same as that in the book down to the Majors rank and the serial number- which isn't the number of the ship (337938)
Patty's butt is far better looking in the book.

A

Anonymous

Leadsky said:
Despite being nice jackets, both of these are fakes IMO.

silly BIN
Both appear in Art of the FJ No.01 pages 38 and 88.
Patch on PLP is on crooked.
Artwork is vastly inferior to that shown in the book- rather contemporary look as well.
Artwork on LRB is exactly the same as that in the book down to the Majors rank and the serial number- which isn't the number of the ship (337938)
Patty's butt is far better looking in the book.

Oh the art is 99.9% fake. I'm just interested to know who's selling them. There's not a chance in hell (unless this is the luckiest day in my life) that a jacket like this would just appear in Thailand and be sold for peanuts. Makes you wonder, doesn't it! Someone has taken a good A-2 (probably worth the BIN price) and spent hours painting it only to sell it for nought...

taikonaut

I think that is the best attitude to take, to see if the jacket alone is worth the price regardless of patches and artworks. If they turns out to be real then that is a bonus. It would be a mistake to reject a jacket even for a relatively low sum on the basis that the patches or artwork isnt original.

A

Anonymous

taikonaut said:
I think that is the best attitude to take, to see if the jacket alone is worth the price regardless of patches and artworks. If they turns out to be real then that is a bonus. It would be a mistake to reject a jacket even for a relatively low sum on the basis that the patches or artwork isnt original.

They aren't real. I'm wondering whether to buy it or report it.

Roughwear

This is all very interesting. The jacket i have bought is an original United sheeplined A2 in a size 42. Everything is correct from the AM inspector's stampt marked 222 to the pocket tag, Crown zip and is worth considerably more than the BIN price. As for the artwork I suspect it is copied from Major Richard's Dubow in "The art of the Flight Jacket". I will inspect the jacket cafefully when it arrives. Actually I like the artwork-fake or not!

TankBuster

Nice Condition jacket for the money though! It's a shame that someone would paint
up a nice jacket like that with bogus artwork. At least you won't get hurt at the price!

A

Anonymous

TankBuster said:
Nice Condition jacket for the money though! It's a shame that someone would paint
up a nice jacket like that with bogus artwork. At least you won't get hurt at the price!

Absolutely. Strange, isn't it!?! Someone takes a jacket worth say... $800, then spends time modifying to sell it for poultry $550. Something weird. It must have taken hours to paint/create this jacket.

Andrew

Tranquility Base said:
TankBuster said:
It must have taken hours to paint/create this jacket.

Not in TL.

I bought a beautiful Lichtenstein (all the dots in the right places) on Koh Samui for peanuts. They will copy anything you want.

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
taikonaut said:

The jackets are real aren't they? I read the description, it says nothing about the art work specifically, a report might be for naught.

A

Anonymous

392NDBOMBGROUP said:
Tranquility Base said:
taikonaut said:

The jackets are real aren't they? I read the description, it says nothing about the art work specifically, a report might be for naught.

Seller provided a full refund this evening.

Roughwear

The United Sheeplined A2 arrived today. First of all it is not a fake, but an original A2! Yes the paint job is modern, done using modelling paint. I spent an hour tonight carefully scraping it off and there are now no traces of it. A light coat of Pecards has made all the difference to the jacket and it is a nice russet, lighter than my other Sheeplined. A previous owner had stitiched a brown strip to the collar lining. This I have removed to find only two small sections of separation which can be sewn together. The Crown zipper is very smooth, without any separation in the usual place. All in all a very nice, wearable jacket bought at a bargain price. :lol:

A

Anonymous

I thought you liked the artwork? Besides, you're a real winner. Congratulations. When will it go up on Ebay? I'm sure you could make a $200 bucks on it.

Roughwear

Tranquility Base said:
I thought you liked the artwork? Besides, you're a real winner. Congratulations. When will it go up on Ebay? I'm sure you could make a $200 bucks on it.

The artwork was ok, but was not particularly well done when compared with the real thing-Major Ruchard's Dubow. So it had to go. I am not planning to sell it on Ebay, at least for the time being.