• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-10 gloves: unknown maker

WingAndaPrayer

Hello all,
I recently purchased a pair of flight gloves from an eBay store called ARMY-SUPPLY in New York. It was listed as genuine goat skin and on sale for $10+4.99 S+H. So $15 overall. I figured for that price I will take a chance.
So far they are very nice, and have a good leather smell. I’m not sure who made them as the only tags say made in Pakistan and the size. Could this be a five star product? If anyone can tell me about these gloves I would appreciate it.
But on to the review!
I’ve never handled original gloves so I’m not sure how they stack up to originals, but, these are very well made and comfortable. The sizing was spot on as my fingers fit perfectly into the tip of the glove. It is however a little long in the knit area
Knits
The knit part is a seal brown and real wool. I’m surprised how nice it is and there’s no seam.
Leather
The leather is a nice chocolate shade of seal and buttery soft. There’s no constricted movement or chemical smell, just pleasant new leather. The stitching is a matching color and appears to be very sturdy. And the AAF stencil is nicely done as well.
Warmth
The glove is lined with a felt like insulation that is very soft. It’s too warm to use them outside but just wearing them around the house my hands were getting warm. I’m confident they can handle the cold just fine.
Overall
I’m pleased with these gloves and couldn’t ask for more from the price I paid for them. I would have expected to pay twice as much for this nice a pair of gloves. The only negative thing is it’s a touch to long in the wrist and the seems on the palm area seem a little big? But as I said, I’m unfamiliar with this type of glove so I’m not sure how the seems are in relation to an original pair.
I would recommend these gloves to anyone, especially at this price.
43ABC7A4-8DB7-46B3-81D9-3C26EE39E56D.jpeg
93ED2870-5C33-484D-BFF8-02B16E00C3BF.jpeg
D0AC0F6C-73E8-496D-B5BF-E57E29567AC2.jpeg
E0F517ED-4732-43C7-BDD9-818F74468B33.jpeg
0314F70B-5203-4DDA-BA58-5463F71604F5.jpeg
44F10CCD-5B44-4946-AA94-3D1001FC1C65.jpeg
43ABC7A4-8DB7-46B3-81D9-3C26EE39E56D.jpeg
93ED2870-5C33-484D-BFF8-02B16E00C3BF.jpeg
D0AC0F6C-73E8-496D-B5BF-E57E29567AC2.jpeg
E0F517ED-4732-43C7-BDD9-818F74468B33.jpeg
0314F70B-5203-4DDA-BA58-5463F71604F5.jpeg
44F10CCD-5B44-4946-AA94-3D1001FC1C65.jpeg

Chandler

To be (k)nit-picky, I think the knits aren't correct to original, but they look like great quality for the price paid.

Smithy

ELC A-10s from the late 90s. Knit is just starting to pit a little (not seen in image). Always liked these as an accessory to my N3-B.
zG7iu43.jpg

I've got a pair of MASH A-10s which I believe might be the same as what ELC sell. Absolutely love them, was even wearing them this morning to drive the kids to school.

Chandler

I've got a pair of MASH A-10s which I believe might be the same as what ELC sell.
Memory may be playing tricks, but when I bought mine from ELC they weren't working with another company yet, but maybe they just hadn't revealed it.

I just remember seeing the gloves in the Golden Book and thinking they were pretty cool. It didn't hurt that they used a great image from Stalag 17 as a marketing tool. ;)

Oh yeah, ELC also made them available with or without the AAF decal -- as you see mine without.

Chandler

Anyone remember an old image that showed an airman in WW2 who repaired his A-2's cuffs with cuffs from A-10s?

Smithy

Memory may be playing tricks, but when I bought mine from ELC they weren't working with another company yet, but maybe they just hadn't revealed it.

I just remember seeing the gloves in the Golden Book and thinking they were pretty cool. It didn't hurt that they used a great image from Stalag 17 as a marketing tool. ;)

We had a bit of a discussion about this here 3 or 4 years ago Chandler and although the jury was out, the majority thought that ELC and MASH gloves were made by the same maker. Hence the reason why on here of late those after higher repro A-10s have been buying MASH ones and saving a few pennies whilst they were about it.

Chandler

Hence the reason why on here of late those after higher repro A-10s have been buying MASH ones and saving a few pennies whilst they were about it.
I'm not sure I'd even heard of MASH yet when I bought these, but the internet was in its infancy, too.;)

And back then, was MASH really that much cheaper than ELC? Honest question, I thought they were all similarly priced items.

Smithy

I'm not sure I'd even heard of MASH yet when I bought these, but the internet was in its infancy, too.;)

If it was the late 90s when you got your ELC ones Chandler then that was probably back when MASH were still mostly selling to the Japanese market.

If you're ever after another pair the MASH ones are awesome and the goatskin they use ages beautifully (once again maybe the same as where ELC source theirs but cheaper).

I'll post some picks of mine here at VLJ tomorrow if I remember as they've developed a fantastic patina.

Chandler

If it was the late 90s when you got your ELC ones Chandler then that was probably back when MASH were still mostly selling to the Japanese market.

If you're ever after another pair the MASH ones are awesome and the goatskin they use ages beautifully (once again maybe the same as where ELC source theirs but cheaper).

I'll post some picks of mine here at VLJ tomorrow if I remember as they've developed a fantastic patina.
I see History Preservation Associates is selling Buzz Rickson A-10s -- is that what ELC is selling too? And where do they fall inline with who's making what?

FWIW -- I just looked at my gloves and the spec label has Eastman as "manufacturer." Looked like the new MASH tags don't show a manufacturer.