• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

91st BG (H) A2

Ken at Aero Leather

I think it is a big misconception with the general public that the smaller the oz the thinner the leather. When that is not always the case.

I think the "clothing trade" are largely to blame for this misconception.

The "default" selling description from tanneries in USA is "Ounces", The weight to a sq ft ratio being a really good guide to what the customer will get, as opposed to the standard British method, thickness (mm)
However I've noticed recently that manufacturers both sides of "the pond" are tending to choose the measuring system they think "sells" best.

Bottom line, to be historically (and factually) correct
The leather in a European design (product) should really be described by leather thickness
The leather in a North American design should be described by leather weight.

Ken at Aero Leather

Thanks for the further comments, much appreciated. I might just point out that those photos were taken soon after receiving the jacket back and even sooner after a dose of Pecards.

I would be very interesting to know exactly how much your A-2 weighs.
My feeling is it'll be quite heavy , certaintly in comparison to an issue A-2

What an amazing jacket...........sorry I'm repeating myself here :>) Envy, Envy................

Micawber

I would be very interesting to know exactly how much your A-2 weighs.
My feeling is it'll be quite heavy , certaintly in comparison to an issue A-2

What an amazing jacket...........sorry I'm repeating myself here :>) Envy, Envy................

Hello Ken,

Out with the kitchen scales this morning to weigh the jacket although I'm sure my wife initially thought I was going to bake her a cake!

To the best of my ability the results are as follows: 1550 grams total / 3lbs 7oz.

Hope this is of interest.

Ken at Aero Leather

Hi Micawber

My horsehide A-2 weighs 3lbs 2oz, I don't have a WW2 issue here to check but I'd say it wouldn't weight much over 3 lbs as my A-2 (Aero repro) always felt fractionally heavier than my last original (When I had both to compare)
At 3 lbs 7oz your A-2 is almost certainly Buffalo..............unless it's a really huge size 50"?
Weight proves it can't be sheep, it could be Steer but I've never seen that sort of grain on steerhide.

Ken

Skyhawk

Yep this one is a lot heavier than my 1.5 mm Cape size 40 A-1. It weighs in at at 2 lbs 1 oz and it is 1 to 2 sizes bigger.

I concur, Buffalo on this one.

Skyhawk

Threw it on the scale again just now. 2 lbs 7 oz. On my digital scale. 2 lbs 1 0z on the spring scale. Maybe time to calibrate that springer.......

Anyway. Light, thick, almost a spongy cloth like texture. Really cool hide!

That buffalo looks amazing too! I would imagine it would be much heavier, stiffer, and harder feeling in the hand than my Capeskin here.

Regards,
Jay

Ken at Aero Leather

The Buffalo we used back then was quite soft to the touch not hard or stiff in any way, a tad spongy even in places,but yes, thick and heavy and almost had a drape to it.
I imagine, tanned differently, Buffalo could be made quite stiff.

Silver Surfer

mechanical [spring scales] are affected by atmosphere. the spring will expand in hot humid weather, and contract in cold dry weather. the didg scales are not prone to this issue. the old ohaus tripple beam scales, though mechanical, do not have springs. however, the v bearings have to be replaced every 100 years or so if the scale is used often, hahahahaha

Nickb123

Love the “Out House Mouse” illustration. They really had a humorous imagination back then. The sister B-17, “Nine-O-Nine” is still flying.

Micawber

The B-17 "909" flying now is an aircraft finished to represent the original aircraft. The original returned to the States and was eventually cut up and melted down at Kingman. I met one or two of the ground crew of the original "909" & "Out House Mouse" personally and they were all proud of the service record of their a/c. "909" completed 140 missions, 126 without a mechanical abort.