• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

91st BG (H) A2

Micawber

This jacket was transferred to my ownership in the late 1990's direct from a good friend and veteran who owned and painted it during the latter stages of the war back. Since that time it has been on loan and display in a museum up until recently when it was withdrawn and returned in order for a condition assessment to be undertaken.

The gentleman in question painted the entire crew's issue A-2's using paints obtained from Tony Starcer who was the principle noseart artist in the group.

This jacket was a replacement for his issue A-2 which was taken, along with lots of other gear, from his locker when his crew was listed MIA after the plane lost two engines and had to put down on the continent while repairs were made. He states in a latter that this jacket was "obtained from supply on the field" and painted by him using paints, thinners, brushes etc from Tony Starcer with whom he had become friends. He says he didn't pay attention to the fact it had no manufacturers label.

Unfortunately the jacket was quite frail on receipt all those years ago, he attributed this to it having been displayed on board a ship before being withdrawn and sent to me. I hope it is of interest.
01.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

dmar836

Micawber, It is of interest but please post about yourself in bios, as has become the custom here. We can't ask it only of those who appear to be spamming us(obviously you are not). The hide and three piece sleeves are quite interesting on this one and I hope you have other jackets in your collection to share.
Thanks for dropping in,
Dave

B-Man2

Hi
Your jacket sure is of interest here. Thanks for posting.
We have a new members Bio Section so please take a section and introduce yourself . I’m sure more members will be along shortly to comment on your jacket. We are a collective of international hobbyists who have an interest in these type of items. Welcome to our group.
Cheers
B-Man3

Micawber

My apologies. Long time lurker here so took it for granted. Off to post in the bio bit....

Edited to add that I could have sworn I had posted here before - not to worry!

Brettafett

Wow. That is one interesting jacket, along with an interesting story.
Thanks for posting, and welcome.

Micawber

Yes indeed, thank you. I am aware of the sleeve construction of issue A-2.

The veteran concerned was adamant that he procured this from supply on the base, my take on that as this was late in the war the jacket had seen prior service and was either turned in or the result of a locker clearance. Of course this is speculation on my part. Fortunately among the huge volume of correspondence with this gent I have a note from him relating the background to the jacket.

B-Man2

Memories fade with time and timelines get confused . It’s a great looking jacket for sure but questionable as an issued item. Having said that I’d be the first guy in line to have one like this.

Roughwear

Yes indeed, thank you. I am aware of the sleeve construction of issue A-2.

The veteran concerned was adamant that he procured this from supply on the base, my take on that as this was late in the war the jacket had seen prior service and was either turned in or the result of a locker clearance. Of course this is speculation on my part. Fortunately among the huge volume of correspondence with this gent I have a note from him relating the background to the jacket.

I am pleased you are aware of the sleeve construction on an A-2! It is quite likely that this privately purchased jacket had a previous owner.

Silver Surfer

late war? post war? civy made of water buff? a replacement for the original? often as not, bombs indicating missions were added during the war, and finalized at the end of the war, or post war. from the look of the paint, it would appear to be enamel of some sort. oh, and welcome to the abusement park, mica.

Greg Gale

The guy crouching in the middle? At least it has the same group patch, and it's definitely the same B-17. It doesn't have the shoulder paint (yet?) though.

Roughwear

Yes it has the same group patch but I doubt it is the same jacket as it does not have Dutch painted above the patch.

Greg Gale

True, it has a leather name tag instead. If it had ever been removed, the stitches would be visible on the one in the OP.