• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

85th FIS Varsity Jacket, Scott Air Force Base

Lignemaginot

I guess this technically comes under "cloth"....

I picked this up on ebay the other day - not normally a collector of post WWII militaria, but there was just something about this jacket that I liked.

First, it's a nearly mint condition mid-50s Wilson Varsity Jacket - the colors are still vibrant, no mothing, no pilling. Second, it's a wearable size (at least, for me) - a 44. And finally, the patches are outstanding: 85th Fighter INterceptor Squadron, and what is (I guess) a chenille basketball patch for the base team in 1955.

I pulled the B&W photos off of the following web site:

http://www.85fis.doncondra.org/Personnel%20pictures.htm

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

85th-Gruber_and_F-86D_at_Scott.jpg

85th-_1954_Vorhies_Habeck__________.jpg

MikeyB-17

I saw a similar one for NAS Miramar a while ago-had a serious think about it, but gave up on the idea in the end-nice though, as is that one.

Willy McCoy

I'm glad you got that jacket. I think I may have made an early bid on it, but I was mostly just watching how the auction went down. Great jacket from a short lived unit. Rare patch ta' boot! The nice thing about that patch/jacket is that it came at a time of a lot of transition for the US Air Force.