• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

82nd Airborne A2 advice

Flash Badger

Hello all, I have a quick question which I’m hoping the brains trust can help me with.

I have the opportunity to purchase an original Aero Leather ( not the Scottish one) A2 which belonged to one of the glider pilots of the 82nd Airborne division on which the owner has listed the operations he wore the jacket in on the lining. It also comes with a provenance document.

Now, I’ve owned originals before which came without provenance so that was easy and cheaper but I’m wondering if there is anyway to confirm this particular soldier took part in that particular action.

Also, I’ve done a bit of googling of 82nd Airborne A2’s to try and get an idea of worth but can’t find anything specific to glider Sqns. Does the fact that there were (I assume) fewer jackets issued to glider crew make it more valuable?

Lastly, the leather is solid but in need of a feed but the knits are shot, full of moth damage. Would you replace the knits with NOS or leave it as is?

Regards

Garry

Micawber

Hi Gary,

An original with provenance I would leave as is, no question about it. As to value I think it is indeed relative as you suggest ...but something is only worth what someone will pay. There are a lot or resources online for tracing individuals and half the fun is in the seeking. Good luck.

Micawber

That depends. Can you post up some photos?

Edited to add when I said leave as is I meant in terms of knits. My view is that an attributed jacket isn't going to be a daily wearer, others see things differently though.

ausreenactor

That is what you would pay for a repro. IF is in good shape? Do it.. And leave it alone, shy of looking after the hide.

Micawber

I don’t actually have it yet mate. He wants $2k Australian for it which is a significant outlay for me.

IF, and it is IF, the provenance is bona fide and IF the jacket is solid apart from the knits I would consider it.

That said much depends on the kind of provenance. Period documentation or something more recent?

Flash Badger

I’m in Melbourne his week so I mighty nip in and have a closer look at the documents and maybe see if I can get a few photos. It’s also patched so that might give a bit more info on its history. It really is in pretty good shape other than the knits. It’s too small for me but in my size I would feel pretty comfortable wearing it.

decisions decisions!
Garry

foster

Perhaps the 82nd Airborne Division Museum can help.
I did some research there in the last decade and they should be able to help, if you have some time to wait for them to do some digging in their archives.

I am trying to remember how things were organized, and I think the glider pilots may have not been assigned to the 82nd, but attached personnel as needed.

jack31916

Glider pilots were part of the Army Air Force and the Troop Carrier Groups / Squadrons were attached to the Airborne divisions.

Flash Badger

Ok, got a bit more info which pretty much adds very little to the personal story of the jacket. The owner is unknown however there might be a few clues inside the jacket. The owner has had "J-6165 stenciled in large black letters inside the jacket (Pic 1) and the following has been written inside the jacket:-

HBJ-6165
316th TCG (316th Transport Command Grp)
N, Africa
Italy
France
Holland
Germany
Home?
Nov 45

it also has some related patches sewn on. I did a quick google search and the wiki entry for the 316th does tie up but I dont undestand the relivance of the "J-6165" or the "HBJ-6165". Could this be something relating to his training Sqn as the HBJ-6165 is written at part of list of countries he appears to have been in? I guess what I'm getting at is that I want to be sure for my $2000 Australian dollars is buying me what I think its buying me

I'll try and add the photos for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 183

Pilot

Just bought a minty untouched WW2 original Bronco A-2 in 46”..paid 2000 Euro for it...so yes, IF the jacket is legit...these are normal figures...
Have my doubts about the legit question... but others may chime in.

Last edited:

2BM2K

One thing is for sure, the contract label is not for an A2 jacket contract.

A quick search shows that it is a B3 jacket contract.

This airborne jacket might not even be an Aero jacket.

foster

HBJ-6165 could be initials and the last 4 digits of his army service number.
J-6165 is the usual laundry number format, last name beginning with the letter J and 6165 being the last 4 numbers of his 8-digit ASN.

jack31916

HBJ-6165 is most probably the initials of his first name, middle name and last name followed by the last 4 numbers of his army serial number as stated by Foster.
316th T.C.G stands for 316th Troop Carrier Group.

When using google there's a more info to be found.

An online book where you might find info on your man:
link: https://books.google.nl/books?id=mL...onepage&q=316 transport command group&f=false

A similar jacket was sold on this website:

Good luck with your search !

Flash Badger

Thanks for the assistance fellas. I have to say tho that if the contract label states it relates to a B3 contract, it does worry me and throws the rest of the jackes autheticity into question. I'll get a few photos of the whole jacket, that should make IDing the maker easy enough.

thanks again

Garry