• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"80's or 90's" Era Eastman Non-Contract B-3

adfrost

As much as I like the brand new size 44 Werber contract B-3 I purchased earlier this year, one of my frustrations with it is how tight across the back it is when I raise my arms (when driving for instance). So I've had my eye out for a size 46, and thanks to eBay, I'm now the owner of this "80's or 90's" era Eastman non-contract B-3. Aside from that older jacket smell (which is tolerable), it's pretty mint. The only real wear is very small crack on the left shoulder and some rubbing on the horsehide seams. Even the ends of the cuffs show no signs of thinning or wear. I do think the 46 is a perfect fit. It's large enough to use the side adjusters to tweak the fit, but not huge like the size 48 .50 Cal I had, and I can now raise my arms without that uncomfortable pulling on the back. About the only thing I would change is that I wish the cuffs were a tad bit tighter and maybe 1/2" - 1" shorter.

If anyone has any insight on how old this jacket actually might be, I'd love to hear it. The shearling is more golden yellow and thinner than my new jacket. This appears to be pre "broken grain" shearling that they use now.

Quarter Front - Fit
by Aaron Frost, on Flickr

Front Fit - Open

Unzipped

Back

Label

The biggest difference I notice between this and newer jackets, aside from the shearling, is the horsehide trim pieces on the front zipper. Every other B-3 I've seen just uses the zipper tape.

Waist Adjusters

A comparison of this jacket vs the Werber. The Werber collar is about 1" wider, possibly due to the cut, or due to the thicker shearling.

Collar Comparison

ausreenactor

As much as I like the brand new size 44 Werber contract B-3 I purchased earlier this year, one of my frustrations with it is how tight across the back it is when I raise my arms (when driving for instance). So I've had my eye out for a size 46, and thanks to eBay, I'm now the owner of this "80's or 90's" era Eastman non-contract B-3. Aside from that older jacket smell (which is tolerable), it's pretty mint. The only real wear is very small crack on the left shoulder and some rubbing on the horsehide seams. Even the ends of the cuffs show no signs of thinning or wear. I do think the 46 is a perfect fit. It's large enough to use the side adjusters to tweak the fit, but not huge like the size 48 .50 Cal I had, and I can now raise my arms without that uncomfortable pulling on the back. About the only thing I would change is that I wish the cuffs were a tad bit tighter and maybe 1/2" - 1" shorter.

If anyone has any insight on how old this jacket actually might be, I'd love to hear it. The shearling is more golden yellow and thinner than my new jacket. This appears to be pre "broken grain" shearling that they use now.

Quarter Front - Fit

Front Fit - Open

Unzipped

Back

Label

The biggest difference I notice between this and newer jackets, aside from the shearling, is the horsehide trim pieces on the front zipper. Every other B-3 I've seen just uses the zipper tape.

Waist Adjusters

A comparison of this jacket vs the Werber. The Werber collar is about 1" wider, possibly due to the cut, or due to the thicker shearling.

Collar Comparison

Solid zipper too. I hate playing with the repro Crowns...

busdrivermike

Awesome looking jacket
I can fully understand your feelings about fit, personally on a sheepskin jacket
I prefer slightly oversized in the chest and shoulders for driving and reaching for things ect...
I ordered my first one years ago from aviation leathercraft so could fit a heavy hoodie under
It, I did the same with my noble house, though I never wear a hoodie under it, My personal experience
from wearing a sheepskin for a month or two straight as a regular winter jacket, looser in the ribs
Shoulders and armpits is better

Last edited:

jack31916

Nice early Eastman! I bought exact the same jacket in a size 46 from Eastman in 1991. So you're probably right that this jacket was made in the late 80's / early 90's.

( I thought my sleeves were to long and I never liked the jacket for that reason.)

Enjoy wearing it!

MikeyB-17

I remember them offering that leather strip on the zip as an option ‘for improved appearance’ in the first catalogue I got from ELC, which would have been around 1997. How long they had been offering that I don’t know. That one (beauty, btw) looks like the ones in that catalogue. I would have thought ELC would replace the cuffs for you.

John Lever

Merino sheepskin from Fenland tannery circa 1990 to 1994. Possibly steerhide facings.
These early jackets are on another planet compared to the ones made today. For the life of me I can't understand why Eastman make jackets from dryed out fluff.
Colymer are producing absolutely stunning sheepskin hides for McCoys and Y2 Leather.

adfrost

Here's another shot comparing the two. The Werber is on the left. The "broken grain" is thicker, but the older jacket is more pliable. For better or worse, the coating on the newer shearlings is thicker.

IMG_4082.jpeg

The cat approves too, which is an added bonus. :D

IMG_4083.jpeg

Is it just me, or do the older ELC Irvin's and B-3s seem like they were nicer and better made than todays jackets?

I'm nowhere near as qualified as most around here to speak to that, but both of these seem like very well-made jackets. It's just a difference in materials.

Enigma1938

Here's another shot comparing the two. The Werber is on the left. The "broken grain" is thicker, but the older jacket is more pliable. For better or worse, the coating on the newer shearlings is thicker.

View attachment 45246

The cat approves too, which is an added bonus. :D

View attachment 45247

I'm nowhere near as qualified as most around here to speak to that, but both of these seem like very well-made jackets. It's just a difference in materials.
My cat did the same with my B3 a while ago. I just noticed it after an hour and then I already had a ton of extra fur in it ;)

John Lever

If you don’t mind me asking, John, what changed?
This us what Andrew Tinnion the owner of Fenland told me
Eastman rejected a batch of skins when it started flaking ( reasonable I think) problem was the jackets had already been made up so Fenland refused any come back. They fell out permanently.
Similar story with Aero I think, a box of skins got lost in transit or something.
I actually re introduced Aero to Fenalnd about 10 years ago, I think the sheepskin was called Eagle hawk or similar. They were South African Merino skins, same used now by Colymer.
Fenland went bust after Andrew Tinnion sadly died of cancer.

adfrost

Welp...I guess the shearling on this was more fragile/brittle than it first appeared. :( Not blaming the seller, as everything about the jacket appeared to be just fine. All I did was wear it to work once. In fact, I actually adjusted the belts out, so there was less pressure on the shearling than how the seller shipped it.

B3 Tear 2.jpeg

B3 Tear 3.jpeg

B3 Tear 4.jpeg

Enigma1938

Ouch that hurts. What a shame. But it dont have to mean the jacket is fragile all over the jacket. I had it on a B3 too, was only brittle at one area, the rest was fine.