• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 year old Irvin - smells like it as well

RobinEyre

Evening all. Joined just now and really enjoyed reading the various threads.

As title suggests my question is re an Irvin I have just a acquired. It's at least 72 yests old. All zips original and work. No tips or tears. Lovely fleece all round a really good buy. It was very frustrating and stiff buy multiple applications of Pecards is bringing it back to life.

Ok, looks great but the fleece and leather have a smell that means can't be worn though would help with social distancing !

Seen various ideas, white wine vinegar, Fabreeze, baking powder etc.

Any views on the safest / best.

Attachments

• 20201129_132635.jpg
    20201129_132635.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 243

Micawber

Next dry day hang it outside. Repeat. Turn it inside out. Repeat.

It's an old garment, you have to make allowances.

Most things you apply will only mask the smell - Freebreeze is disgusting stuff.

Rather than reinvent the wheel use the search this forum for existing hints and tips.

busdrivermike

If you have access to an ozone machine and a good box you can seal
That’s supposed to work really well

costume companies use vodka from a spray bottle on costumes
Of course , I definitely would not put it on the leather it might be safe
On the wool but I’d check with a furrier and test a spot that can’t be seen

I bought a used sheepskin car coat last year in a thrift store for $20 and it had a serious musty smell
As a test I washed down the exterior with warm water and a damp towel
Then turned it inside out, gave the wool a light vodka spritzing not a soaking then a smacking with a brush a few hours later
and vacuumed it [no beater brush] Then hung it outside in the sun for a couple days it really improved.
a friend sold it for me at her flee market stand
@Micawber is correct about things like freebreeze it will end up
Smelling like a run down brothel at a back road truck stop

sad truth is depending on how long and conditions it was stored it might not improve much.

Last edited:

bazzer

I use the Tesco equilent of wool lite mixed very searingly as above in a spary bottle the hang it in the loft with the windows open does the trick for me
as Micawber states Freebreeze is not very good full of chemicals
I used it and have regeted it Did not get rid of the smell just added to it
Baz

Dumpster D

Let it air out for a very LONG time, get some lavender, in a cheese cloth bag and keep that stored inside the Jacket, smells great and keeps the moths out. You can grow your own Lavender too.

Might try a little dab of 'eucalan' on the fleece and see if that helps freshen it up...it's special stuff for wool, you don't have to rinse it.

Febreeze? please don't be 'that guy'. I'd rather deal with the musty smell than the smell of Febreeze, That stuff never comes out, try cleaning that stuff out of clothes!

Also, Get a repro Irvin to wear instead. It's worth it.

Last edited:

geedee

I once had an original vintage wool coat like a pea coat type thing which smelled horrible. I put it in a chest freezer for a few days and after that (when it thawed out!) it had lost the smell. I think the freezer killed the bacteria which made the smell. Good luck - it sounds like you got a real find!!

JonnyCrow

I once had an original vintage wool coat like a pea coat type thing which smelled horrible. I put it in a chest freezer for a few days and after that (when it thawed out!) it had lost the smell. I think the freezer killed the bacteria which made the smell. Good luck - it sounds like you got a real find!!
I once had a original two part Kriegsmarine leather suit, rare, but it smelled horrible it wasn't a keeper so i sold it one, in on of the pockets was a old handkerchief, a cigarette and a news clipping from Beobachter, it was a U Boat suit so i didn't care because it was rare, imagine how it smelled on a submarine,

Dumpster D

Wouldn't go with Baby powder either, what a mess, and the smell. Also breathing a known carcinogen. Not even for changing diapers...motorcycle tires maybe.

Rather stick with cigarette butts and a proper aroma of old surplus.