• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

613th Bomb Squadron

Yardstick

Inspired by Vera's excellent 'Miss Wing Ding' (fnar fnar), I decided to revisit the 613th BS. This was one of the first embroidered patches I did back about 20 years ago and probably the one that got me realising I could replicate the originals pretty faithfully. So after a 7 days toil, here's my latest creation.

Image2.jpg

And these are the two originals I used as reference...
Image1.jpg

Finally as free DLC - the first version I made with a few virtual moth nips added in Photoshop (only photo I have to hand).
Image1.jpg

Last edited:

Yardstick

On different level, have you ever made the 351st BS?

I've done all the other 100th BG squadrons but not the 351st. Most of the original squadron patches from the 100th BG are either embossed and painted (possibly printed) on leather or silk screened on leather - like the below examples for the 351st.

Image1.jpg

However, I do have images of an embroidered 349th patch on an A-2 and there is a variation of the 418th in multi-piece felt with embroidered detail.

Last edited:

VeraVoulik

I've done all the other 100th BG squadrons but not the 351st. Most of the originals squadron patches from the 100th BG are either embossed and painted (possibly printed) on leather or silk screened on leather - like the below examples for the 351st.

View attachment 70715

However, I do have images of an embroidered 349th patch on an A-2 and there is a variation of the 418th in multi-piece felt with embroidered detail.

Thanks. On a current original jacket I'm working reproducing, the 351st patch is painted which I believe was quite unusual so, didn't want to catch it the wrong way.

Yardstick

My version of the one of the above 351st BS patches. This one is custom stained veg tanned leather with the design set out and all the detailing done in black ink. It was then wet-tooled and painted using light washes of colour. Finally, it was sealed with beeswax. I was genuinely surprised with how accurately it came out, as the originals would have been stamped rather than tooled by hand.
Img_0621.jpg

Last edited:
I've done all the other 100th BG squadrons but not the 351st. Most of the original squadron patches from the 100th BG are either embossed and painted (possibly printed) on leather or silk screened on leather - like the below examples for the 351st.

View attachment 70715

Can you share the images of the embroidered 349th Squadron patch on the A-2? What's the provenance is there a name for the A-2?

Yardstick

Can you share the images of the embroidered 349th Squadron patch on the A-2? What's the provenance is there a name for the A-2?
Here you go. I've no idea of the provenance of this patch, it appears to be handmade and a bit crude in its construction (the black lining in particular has been done very quickly). In many ways it does exhibit many of the characteristics of an ‘Old Club Badges’ repro (you can find them on eBay). However, the A-2 does appear to be original.
349th BS_100th BG (5).jpg

Last edited:
Here you go. I've no idea of the provenance of this patch, it appears to be handmade and a bit crude in its construction (the black lining in particular has been done very quickly). The A-2 does appear to be original.
View attachment 79855
I’ve seen that. It was discussed in great detail with the folks at the 100th Bomb Group Foundation and the final conclusion was the patch and the jacket are fake. The name on the jacket isn’t in any of the records of the 100th’s flight crews and of all the legit A2’s that have 349th insignia none of the 349th patches are felt.

Yardstick

Can't comment on the jacket which looks period, although as you say it has probably been dressed up as a 100th BG original. However, the more I look at the patch the less I like it. The base is actually woven wool rather than felt and this is a feature of pretty much all the 'Old Club Badges' repros. To give them credit they are not sold as anything other than repros, its just that unscrupulous or naive individuals sometimes try to pass them off as original.

BTW, I have just completed a version of the 418th BS multi-piece felt patch. I've seen quite a few of these and believe them to be original, does the 100th BG forum have a view?

Micawber

Here you go. I've no idea of the provenance of this patch, it appears to be handmade and a bit crude in its construction (the black lining in particular has been done very quickly). In many ways it does exhibit many of the characteristics of an ‘Old Club Badges’ repro (you can find them on eBay). However, the A-2 does appear to be original.
View attachment 79855

Ah yes 'Old_Club_Badges' have been around for a relatively long time.

I love the 351st Bomb Squadron patches people are posting. Here's an original hand tooled 351st Bomb Squadron patch in my collection. It's not painted and there is another exactly like this one at the 100th Bomb Group Museum at Thorpe Abbotts. It was made while the 100th was stationed at either Walla Walla or Wendover not sure where exactly.

288329209_5010539782392125_871435431414854261_n.jpg

Here my versions of the 349th BS and 350th BS. Both designs were wet tooled into leather with painted detailing added afterwards. The 349th in particular was v. tricky to get right as the detailing on the bombs is unpainted i.e. there was no room for any errors.
View attachment 81287
View attachment 81288
There's an original 349th Bomb Squadron patch for sale on eBay thats really nice. Its leather but its not painted its silk screened which was a later variant produced during the war. I want it badly but the seller is asking for $1,000!!!! I'm willing to pay the appropriate price for these artifacts but $1K is highway robbery.

Yardstick

Not quite sure how this morphed into a 100th Bomb Group thread, I think we have Vera to thank for that :). But anyway to finish off the set for the 100th, here are two of the more common versions of 418th BS patches.

The first is ink on leather, with painted colouring. The second multipiece wool felt, with embroidered detail.
Img_1045.jpg
Img_1014.jpg

Not quite sure how this morphed into a 100th Bomb Group thread, I think we have Vera to thank for that :). But anyway to finish off the set for the 100th, here are two of the more common versions of 418th BS patches.

The first is ink on leather, with painted colouring. The second multipiece wool felt, with embroidered detail.
View attachment 81637View attachment 81638
There's an original felt 418th patch like this one that's for sale from a dealer I know. I have my eye on it that one's next on the list. My goal is to get an original patch from each squadron of the 100th.

Yardstick

I can't imagine what prompted me to add to my 100th BG collection but here a couple of new additions ;). First up is the group patch, there are loads of versions but this is my favourite and one of the more striking designs.
Image 1.jpg

Next up is the third version of the 418th BS patch that I've done - wet-tooled design on painted leather. I'm assuming this is an early war version of the patch as it lacks the chin turret present on the previously posted examples (B-17Gs with chin turrets would have arrived in theatre from Spring '44, gradually replacing the earlier F models).
Image 2.jpg