• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5th AAF WW2 patch

Flightengineer

Nice Dimitry!

'Straya mate! Had to be quality

Thanks friends.
Patch has come a long and winding path to me :) Initially, my friend from Ohio bought it for me from this seller (who turned out to be a lady). She accidentally sent it to her another customer who bought other item from she (oh...these women :)).
My friend and I crossed fingers waiting for the patch to return to the seller and will be sent again. At this time, my other friend from Chicago was going to fly to Moscow last sunday and we asked the seller to send a patch to his address .... was done but lady indicated the bit wrong address on letter.
Thanks to the neighbors of Alex - my Chicago's friend - they received it and gave it to my friend right at the moment when he was start to go to the airport...a couple of minutes more and it would be late ....and would have to send it to me by mail.
Yesterday I met Alex at the airport and received a patch :)

Today morning I took my A2 to my tailor and right now I am sitting and waiting for it to be sewn on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Flightengineer

Looks awesome Dmitry, love it, nice one!

I too think the 5th badge is the nicest looking.

оh yeah :)

684651ad27ec.jpg

Flightengineer

Continuation of the history of my WW2 Australian patch.
Today I moved this beautiful patch to my jacket of the first league - Platon Dubow. I must say that the location of the epaulettes on my ELC Star Sportswear and Platon Dubow is different, on Dubow contract they are slightly moved forward. So the positioning of the number 5 on this patch took some time to placed correct when the hand is down it didn't look displaced from the vertical axis. If on Star the top bar of the number 5 was exactly parallel to the side line of the epaulette and perpendicular to the side seam of the sleeve , then on Dubow I had to align it along the shoulder seam and the vertical seam of the sleeves.
It's funny but my seamstress and I changed patch positions several times until we achieved, in my opinion, an ideal angle.
I'm sure the souls of WW2 pilots would laughed at this perfectionism. For I've seen in the Conway's books and in the lot photos of the originals, including Jorge's wonderful jacket, completely different positions and corners of these patches.
However, it was difficult not to succumb to the temptation and not to do everything beautifully, cause I didn't have to rush to a combat mission, unlike these guys.
My Star in return received a wonderful 8AAF shoulder repro patch embroidered on felt, recently received from Steve from UK.
If anyone is interested, I can add pics bit later.

B-Man2

Continuation of the history of my WW2 Australian patch.
Today I moved this beautiful patch to my jacket of the first league - Platon Dubow. I must say that the location of the epaulettes on my ELC Star Sportswear and Platon Dubow is different, on Dubow contract they are slightly moved forward. So the positioning of the number 5 on this patch took some time to placed correct when the hand is down it didn't look displaced from the vertical axis. If on Star the top bar of the number 5 was exactly parallel to the side line of the epaulette and perpendicular to the side seam of the sleeve , then on Dubow I had to align it along the shoulder seam and the vertical seam of the sleeves.
It's funny but my seamstress and I changed patch positions several times until we achieved, in my opinion, an ideal angle.
I'm sure the souls of WW2 pilots would laughed at this perfectionism. For I've seen in the Conway's books and in the lot photos of the originals, including Jorge's wonderful jacket, completely different positions and corners of these patches.
However, it was difficult not to succumb to the temptation and not to do everything beautifully, cause I didn't have to rush to a combat mission, unlike these guys.
My Star in return received a wonderful 8AAF shoulder repro patch embroidered on felt, recently received from Steve from UK.
If anyone is interested, I can add pics bit later.
Would love to see photos :)

ausreenactor

Sure, everything is as usual according to the AAF regulation - 1 inch from the shoulder seam ;)

SSI were originally authorized only on the service coat and shirts, but Change 1 added them to the overcoat and field jacket as well, and Change 9 of November 1942 added SSI wear to the mackinaw. Placement of the SSI was specified as the upper left shoulder, ½ inch below the shoulder seam on all authorized items. (Paragraph 47)

Flightengineer

SSI were originally authorized only on the service coat and shirts, but Change 1 added them to the overcoat and field jacket as well, and Change 9 of November 1942 added SSI wear to the mackinaw. Placement of the SSI was specified as the upper left shoulder, ½ inch below the shoulder seam on all authorized items. (Paragraph 47)

This is still true, but this is for shirts and field jackets etc., however, as far as I know, this did not apply to flight jackets and I remember that, for example, the reg. for applying the official AAF decal meant exactly 1 inch. In general looks like no one seems to have followed rules according tons of WW2 A2 pics.

On the original jacket of Jorge which is presented here too, an inch and not half as far as I remember, and this can be seen from his pics.

By the way, the punctual Japanese from MASH also lead this to the instructions of their AAF decal

Last edited: