• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5th AAF WW2 patch

Flightengineer

They both look great Dmitry . Nicely done .

Thanks, Burt.
I wanted to say in spite of the great look, this is the case when the original, which is almost 80 years old, is better than a good repro. On 8AAF uses a more modern felt and looks a little different from the thicker Australian WW2 felt.
I understand that during the war years they used everything that was and this repro was accurately copied from a sample in the museum, Steve wrote to me about this. This is an exellent job and I have long wanted the embroidered short wings, early version.
But this little nuance I wanted to noticate.

B-Man2

Thanks, Burt.
I wanted to say in spite of the great look, this is the case when the original, which is almost 80 years old, is better than a good repro. On 8AAF uses a more modern felt and looks a little different from the thicker Australian WW2 felt.
I understand that during the war years they used everything that was and this repro was accurately copied from a sample in the museum, Steve wrote to me about this. This is an exellent job and I have long wanted the embroidered short wings, early version.
But this little nuance I wanted to noticate.
Dmitry
Thanks for that information . I always enjoy learning about new areas of collecting and this was interesting information.
Cheers

ausreenactor

Some Aussie made AAF patches.

20210814_203001.jpg

Flightengineer

By the way, one of the examples of shoulder patch placement. Here is all 3 inches up to the top edge of the patch :)

This is Capt. Jay Zeamer's A-2 from the USAF Museum in OH.

This is Capt. Jay Zeamer's A-2 from the USAF Museum in OH.

Awesome manly pilot and crew

Flightengineer

The main point is that he was an excellent pilot and a real hero.

I'd not be upset and if you look at his photo in uniform, everything is perfect there - the patch and the wings are adjusted to the millimeter like in a parade accordanse to the regulation. It should be so. In any army in the world.
However ... I studied, as most of us here on the forum, a lot of photos in books, on the net, I also saw personally many times A2 jackets on display in Dayton and I want to say that these small deviations only add charm to the A-2s. They say a lot about that era, about how and where it was drawn and sewn. In the ceremonial photos of the pilots in uniform, everything was impeccable according to the regulations. But this art of yhe flight jacket and patching made on war theaters was all essentially unofficial and was done by the guys at the base, sometimes right under the plane in the hangar. Huge variety of options, materials and locations - it's cool. There is no other flight jacket like A-2 in the world history where where there was so much diversity and each one was unique and no exactly similar in drawings and patches to the other one.

This is part of the phenomenon and the public offer of A-2.