• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

550th bomb squadron patch with hedgehog :)

Flightengineer

nice patch. here's a vintage
View attachment 10735

Thank you! Very intеresting!
I haven't seen it before and I will add it to my database. Does it belong to you? If so, what is its exact size of 5 or 5.5 inches?
I had photos of two other patches with hedgehogs of the 550th squadron and I based my repro on them. They are similar in the main, but there are small differences, perhaps they were drawn even by different people. The patch you posted confirms this again . Some of them were rather primitively painted in fast way like this :

Now I understand that later embroidered version was based exactly on your patch - it repeats almost all the nuances of your hedgehog.

Maybe later, if I don’t lose my desire, I’ll make an exact copy of your version of the patch.

Thanks again.

Hey Dmitry you are an artist ...

Thanks my friend.

Last edited:

shedonwanna

here is another of the same style with a ruler. they appear to be 4 to 4.5 inches. yes, looks like a stencil was used. units and personnel get transferred and variations in patches occur. I paint for active squadrons and over time I get requests to make changes or i'm given an older patch as an example to reproduce.
550thbs_size.jpg

Flightengineer

here is another of the same style with a ruler. they appear to be 4 to 4.5 inches. yes, looks like a stencil was used. units and personnel get transferred and variations in patches occur. I paint for active squadrons and over time I get requests to make changes or i'm given an older patch as an example to reproduce.
View attachment 10757

Thank you, I have this photo.
I asked about the size of the patch that you published earlier (stenciled).

shedonwanna

Thank you, I have this photo.
I asked about the size of the patch that you published earlier (stenciled).
i don't own either patch but the image with the ruler indicates a size that was used for this similar design and construction. possibly same artist. the design could have also been a block print that was then finished by hand. the spines may have been painted instead of stenciled or stamped. just adding my opinion on technique based on decades of experience.

Flightengineer

Hey Dimitry,

433 tactical fighter squadron is base in my hometown where I grew. Lots of CF-5 in my memory, now CF-18's. It depicts a porcupine.
Nice patch, have you done more?

Qui s'y frotte s'y pique!

Thank you for sharing.

D

Hi Dany,
Wow, I didn't know it was a porcupine! I just saw a photo of this СF-18 tail and decided to share this photo here, in the old thread about my patch with a hedgehog.

Yes, I make patches from time to time. I didn't made with a hedgehog anymore, but there are others.
Almost all of them are here https://www.instagram.com/flightpatches/

ausreenactor

A little background ... I always like hedgehogs. Cute smart animal ;)

I am also not big fan of bomber aviation (transport or fighter more), although I respect these fearless guys, of course. But in this case it all came together. Hedgehogs ... bombers :)

Sometimes I draw patches, this is one of my hobbies. It usually takes an hour on one day off, then an hour on another, and so on until I finally finish the work (sometimes I manage to be at home for a week, but not often).
Not long ago, I found some interesting pics a rather rare WW2 patch belonged to AAF 550th Bomb Squadron.
The patch was not so famous and mass and 550th usually used the other patch (beast with a bomb in fangs). But there was this one, with a hedgehog walking on the clouds and carrying a bomb. The red color of the bomb is not accidental, it is the color code of this squadron.
Only a few originals survived , they were a little different from each other as were all the hand-drawn patches of those years.
I studyied them and did this repro on leather.

cbba92b9929b.jpg

Today finished. Here is such a hedgehog (5 inches).

1f871f8425d7.jpg

Briefly about this unit during WW2.
550th Bomb Squadron (heavy), 385th Bomb Group, flew B-17s, were in Europe in UK as part 8 AF in 1942-45.

I don't know, maybe one day this hedgehog will find home on one of my flight jackets :)

3de4340fa5ba.jpg
Another patch 'Master'. Great work.