• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

550th bomb squadron patch with hedgehog :)

Yardstick

Got to love a canvas patch.

Completely by chance I have just figured out how many of the US made, silk screened on canvas patches were edged. A cut edge on canvas can fray but these patches were finished with khaki coloured cotton tape. It's been puzzling me for a while what is was but it's blindingly obvious now that I've worked it out.

398th BS (M)_21st BG (2).jpg

Last edited:

Tattoo A2

Nice work everyone. and interesting post, I always wondered why they did away with the hedgehog emblem and went to the wolf head with the fangs holding the bomb in its mouth, I think its a wolf head, really cant say for certain. I might have to paint my own hedgehog patch now after seeing all of these today.

B-Man2

Nice work everyone. and interesting post, I always wondered why they did away with the hedgehog emblem and went to the wolf head with the fangs holding the bomb in its mouth, I think its a wolf head, really cant say for certain. I might have to paint my own hedgehog patch now after seeing all of these today.
I wouldn’t know where to begin.

ausreenactor

Completely by chance I have just figured out how many of the US made, silk screened on canvas patches were edged. A cut edge on canvas can fray but these patches were finished with khaki coloured cotton tape. It's been puzzling me for a while what is was but it's blindingly obvious now that I've worked it out.

View attachment 73408

Makes for a neat edge and prevents fraying. Stamped or punched 'rings'? Or strips of hide?

Flightengineer

View attachment 73408

Thanks Nick, that's an interesting method, but I read that they also usually simply treated the edge with any glue for canvas painted patches and this did not allow the fabric to fray.I did just that and the edge is strong.

B-Man2

Another guy who’s got skills .
Somehow ….. I was standing in the wrong line when they were being handed out :(
Well done Tattoo !

Flightengineer

That’s great work Dmitry .
How do you get started doing this ?
Do you trace the outline of the figure to go on the patch or do you do the art work free hand ? I’ve never tried this before and I’m just wondering how it’s done .
Thanks Burt.
Well, in short, first need to understand the size and cut out a circle of the desired diameter from a piece of leather or canvas, then prime or apply a background, then I look at the original drawing and draw its outline on the patch and then colorize it, correcting here and there in the process, then aging if needed.