• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

501zxx versus 551zxx ?

blackcat

does anyone know what differences their are between the 1954 501zxx repros currently available and the 1997 (ish) 551zxx repros ?

Burnsie

blackcat said:
does anyone know what differences their are between the 1954 501zxx repros currently available and the 1997 (ish) 551zxx repros ?

551's were sanforized denim, had a copper top button, offset belt loop, and paper patch. They had a tapered leg. 1963 model.
The 54's have a STF denim, silver top button, no off set, and a leather patch. They're fuller cut in the leg.

Swing

Burnsie said:
blackcat said:

551's were sanforized denim, had a copper top button, offset belt loop, and paper patch. They had a tapered leg. 1963 model.
The 54's have a STF denim, silver top button, no off set, and a leather patch. They're fuller cut in the leg.

I've read that the current 54s are trim, and very tapered (unlike the 1955s, which you'd assume they would be indetical too aside from the zipper and patch), though I have no clue how that compares to the 551.

~Swing

stanier

As I understand it, '54's should be pretty much the same as the '55 apart from a leather patch and of course the zip. In the little book that currently comes with LVC purchases it virtually says as much. And that's pretty much how LVC Japan do their's.

For some bizarre, and frankly in my opinion deeply disappointing reason, LVC EU/US have decided this year to do them as a skinny "drainpipe" style jean. As far as my research indicates this is not true of the vintage, not authentic, but probably very saleable, it's just not a stitch for stitch facsilimie of the '54 zipper jean unfortunatley.

blackcat

Thanks for the info - I have decided not to buy these now because of the narrow leg fit.
This is one of the best things about being part of this forum in that the knowledge of others often saves you making expensive mistakes !
Without the forum I would have assumed that the 1954's would have been a loose fit like the 55's and gone ahead and bought them.
Thanks again.
Blackcat