• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5* versus AVI

Thomas Koehle

Gents,

owning both a G1 bought off AVI as well as a 5* M422 / G1 i did a short comparison today.

The AVI jacket is the seal Brown one on the piccies - 5* sent me the chocolate Brown jacket.

tKYmZko.jpg

LI5rlGw.jpg

Basically both jackets seem to be almost identical except some very small Details.

I ordered the AVI in 46 and based on the dimensions of the AVI i ordered the M422 made to order with the same sizing except i choose to have the sleeves 1.5 cm shorter.

Starting with the ZIP both seem to be identical - no real difference obvious for me

rXBX172.jpg

BpHDKC6.jpg

the distance 'tween both the left and right frontside of the jacket is a thad wider on the 5* which mackes zipping and unzipping more comfy on the 5* (i'm reffering to the width of the track the Zipper passes - do not know how to describe that any better) - the tab of the zip with the "Talon" stamped on once in a while stays in a crooked Position on both zips - again difficult to describe hope you guys know the phenomenom when the tab of the zip points not in a 90° angle to the runner but - yeah - is "crooked" somehow.

Armpit-construction of both jackets is identical
0KHyTX9.jpg

pic of the graining - i used to wear both jackets for almost the same time - for me Shawns jacket developed a nicer grain than the AVI
RGdCkIk.jpg

the knittings on the sleeves do have a seam on the AVI but not on my 5* - strenghts and elasticity is equal

comparison of the back-construction of both jackets - also here no real differences
fRAIeia.jpg

collar - the tab on the AVI is slightly longer - never used one of them before so cannot really say which one might be the more practical length???
H0n0w8y.jpg

Shawns collar is about 1 cm wider than the AVI but this was explicitly ordered by me - the mouton imho feels better on the chocolate version
ntJZKWn.jpg

knitting on Mortens G1 is wider than on Shawns construction and None of them has the typical "2 weave" construction like originals have - liner of the AVI feels kinda cheap compared with the softer Quality of the 5*
61YcIM2.jpg

BFIjCNu.jpg

KQG0J1G.jpg

obviously the "wind-flap" on the G1 is slightly longer

and finally the width of the 5* pockets is different whereas on the G1 both pockets left and right are identically sized - as far as i know usually the pockets with the Penholders have been wider???
GxQTMeQ.jpg

Bottom-line for me: i like the 5* more than the AVI ... - for me it is not about the Details but simply the fact when i pick up both jacket the 5* feels richer and more valuable although Price including shipping was less than half of the AVI

i also love the 5* more coz i'm not as convinced with the Quality of the AVI-leather - as can be seen on the pics there was a damage on the G1 which was repaired somehow and simply patched/spraypainted with a dark Color to blend in - maybe a rare occasion and only on my jacket and hopefully meanwhile AVI does a more intensive income Quality check when they receive new Batches of jackets to Denmark

the leather of the 5* is flawless as far as i can see
pWLeGX8.jpg

finally i'm pretty convinced both jackets have been manufactured in the same area - maybe even in the same Workshop - they simply look too similar

the Facts i described are from my subjective point of view! Maybe someone else has a completely different experience or is maybe able to give a more professional comparison of both items ...

Greets from friggin cold Germany

Thomas

Last edited:

Kennyz

Thanks Thomas for this comparison. I've wondered what actual differences there might be in the jackets produced by these companies, it's not a big variation apparently. They both seem to be cool jackets.

Ken

Gents,

owning both a G1 bought off AVI as well as a 5* M422 / G1 i did a short comparison today.

The AVI jacket is the seal Brown one on the piccies - 5* sent me the chocolate Brown jacket.

tKYmZko.jpg

LI5rlGw.jpg

Basically both jackets seem to be almost identical except some very small Details.

I ordered the AVI in 46 and based on the dimensions of the AVI i ordered the M422 made to order with the same sizing except i choose to have the sleeves 1.5 cm shorter.

Starting with the ZIP both seem to be identical - no real difference obvious for me

rXBX172.jpg

BpHDKC6.jpg

the distance 'tween both the left and right frontside of the jacket is a thad wider on the 5* which mackes zipping and unzipping more comfy on the 5* (i'm reffering to the width of the track the Zipper passes - do not know how to describe that any better) - the tab of the zip with the "Talon" stamped on once in a while stays in a crooked Position on both zips - again difficult to describe hope you guys know the phenomenom when the tab of the zip points not in a 90° angle to the runner but - yeah - is "crooked" somehow.

0KHyTX9.jpg

pic of the graining - i used to wear both jackets for almost the same time - for me Shawns jacket developed a nicer grain than the AVI
RGdCkIk.jpg

the knittings on the sleeves do have a seam on the AVI but not on my 5* - strenghts and elasticity is equal

comparison of the back-construction of both jackets - also here no real differences
fRAIeia.jpg

collar - the tab on the AVI is slightly longer - never used one of them before so cannot really say which one might be the more practical length???
H0n0w8y.jpg

Shawns collar is about 1 cm wider than the AVI but this was explicitly ordered by me - the mouton imho feels better on the chocolate version
ntJZKWn.jpg

knitting on Mortens G1 is wider than on Shawns construction and None of them has the typical "2 weave" construction like originals have - liner of the AVI feels kinda cheap compared with the softer Quality of the 5*
61YcIM2.jpg

BFIjCNu.jpg

KQG0J1G.jpg

and finally the width of the 5* pockets is different whereas on the G1 both pockets left and right are identically sized - as far as i know usually the pockets with the Penholders have been wider???
GxQTMeQ.jpg

Bottom-line for me: i like the 5* more than the AVI ... - for me it is not about the Details but simply the fact when i pick up both jacket the 5* feels richer and more valuable although Price including shipping was less than half of the AVI

i also love the 5* more coz i'm not as convinced with the Quality of the AVI-leather - as can be seen on the pics there was a damage on the G1 which was repaired somehow and simply patched/spraypainted with a dark Color to blend in - maybe a rare occasion and only on my jacket and hopefully meanwhile AVI does a more intensive income Quality check when they receive new Batches of jackets to Denmark

pWLeGX8.jpg

finally i'm pretty convinced both jackets have been manufactured in the same area - maybe even in the same Workshop - they simply look too similar

the Facts i described are from my subjective point of view! Maybe someone else has a completely different experience or is maybe able to give a more professional comparison of both items ...

Thomas

Thomas Koehle

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your enthusiasm for jackets having little to do with the originals. AVI jackets are just leather jackets..not more than

Do not see where I was „enthusiastic“ - I simply tried to compare 1 repop jacket with another one. I did no comparison or eval. concerning originality nor did I give any statement which of the jackets in my opinion is nearer to the „real thing“ ...

Maybe you‘d better read the text once again - if you have any questions coz maybe my English ain‘t good enough you are invited to pm me

Ken at Aero Leather

If you recall, I was the first to point out on VLJ thjat they were "to all purposes" the same jacket, only the price differed. (What a lot of dog's abuse I suffered too, the whistleblower got well and truly shafted)
One openly declarter their jackets were made in the Far East
The other suggested strongly (and wrongly) that they were the product of Scandavanian origin

Was it Woodie Guthrie that said "You can fool some of the people some of the time " etc etc

B-Man2

The real problem is that the forum shows bad leather jackets more than good leather and good vintage ones.
I think you’ve missed one of the basic purposes of the forum . While we all would love to have original vintage jackets, many of us are unable to afford them. The forum gives us an opportunity to view the products of up and coming manufacturers and see what’s available for those with a restricted budget . Additionally it lets us provide suggestions and insight to the people making these jackets which then lets them create new and better products over the course of our discussions and reviews of their jackets . This is a process thats been on going on this forum long before your arrival here. I simply mention that fact not to insult you in any way, but to simply advise you why these types a comparisons are relevant.
Cheers

Last edited:

B-Man2

Gents,

tKYmZko.jpg

LI5rlGw.jpg

rXBX172.jpg

BpHDKC6.jpg

0KHyTX9.jpg

RGdCkIk.jpg

fRAIeia.jpg

H0n0w8y.jpg

ntJZKWn.jpg

61YcIM2.jpg

BFIjCNu.jpg

KQG0J1G.jpg

GxQTMeQ.jpg

pWLeGX8.jpg

Thomas
Nice work Thomas
Thanks for the review.

Thomas Koehle

If you recall, I was the first to point out on VLJ thjat they were "to all purposes" the same jacket ...
One openly declarter their jackets were made in the Far East
The other suggested strongly (and wrongly) that they were the product of Scandavanian origin ...

Yeah Ken I remember that one ...

And you nailed it - having both jackets on the table it is obvious they come out of the same area somehow - maybe not out of the identical workshop but from operators with similar skills and similar basic materials - although still i think 5 Star‘s materials (leather, liner) are of higher quality

B-Man2

Exactly, the originals are rare and expensive - there is no news, then it is necessary to discuss all the crap that appears?
With all due respect , I think you blew right over the main part of my post. What I was trying to say was, that part of what happens here, when jackets are posted that in your words “are crap”, is that the feedback that is posted often helps the makers of those “crap jackets’ make critical changes that helps develop their jackets into well made accurate repros which some here want to purchase and wear. It’s an ongoing process. For example Eastman jackets weren’t the classic well made jackets that they are today when Gary Eastman first started that company . The same holds true with Good Wear and the rest of the top tier makers . They all started with a basic concept of a WWII jacket and then refined those concepts often times based on feedback from this forum. Maybe I should have explained it that way on my previous post and I would have been clearer .

Thomas Koehle

Maybe, but I want to help people who want to understand the truth of vintage leather jackets not to get on your advertising trash

Thank you your highness to enlight us and to honor the forum and in particular this thread with your presence!

May flowers grow out of each of your footsteps! May Angels sing and praise your knowledge, May the unworthy kiss the ground where your feet ever hit him and may the Holy Spirit of leather jacket experts be with you wherever you go

B-Man2

That will definitely help. Prunes if you need a helping hand.
Tim
It’s obvious that this guy has a case of diarrhea of the mouth and isn’t interested in any meaningful dialogue or exchange of ideas or information . His comments are unencumbered by any reason, logic or intellect and my douchebag meter is fully pegged when I read his comments. How’s that fart smell Eastwood!:)

Earloffunk

Eastwood, it may help if the water you use for showering ist not too hot - hot water makes your brain soft (as proof see your recent posts).

BTW could it be Eastwood is of Greek origin?

Smithy

Burt, I'm not buying jackets now so I just hang around here for the history and my mates on here but I seriously cannot understand why anyone would or could get steamed up about a bloody jacket. It's JUST A PIECE OF CLOTHING. Nothing more, nothing less.

I will never understand now why a bunch of grown men will get upset, offended, pissed off, angry and all the rest of it about a flying jacket. Who cares? Everybody has different ideas about what they want and levels of it, be it, historical accuracy, ease of wear, and all the other shit.

For probably most here, their interest in these things grows out of an interest in the men who wore them and the history that this silly, old jacket represents. So just wear what you like, what you can afford, and what has a connection to the men who used these jackets.

Yes it's something that men went to war wearing and it's what many flew in, but let's be honest it's just a bloody jacket.