• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5* kids G1 project for daughter

coolhandluke

My youngest daughter's birthday will be coming up soon at the end of October. She's an animal loving, free spirit that is the epitome of a daddy's girl. I saw on Instagram today that 5* is now offering a kid sized A2 and G1. I plan on ordering a G1 and patching it so that she'll have her own jacket like dad's.

I'm hoping to get some direction on the patch. I know that the aspiring zoo keeper would be over the moon for an AVG Flying Tigers patch. Would this be considered acceptable to use this patch on a repro G1? If so, I'm assuming that I'll need to locate a patch that is a much smaller diameter than the standard 4.5" - 5" size.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

Screenshot_20220802-180245_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

Flightengineer

My two cents

If I were you, I would wonder if she (herself) wants such a jacket. Is it her desire to have a jacket like yours or is it more yours wish?
Your desire as a father to dress your child in a jacket "like dad" is quite typical and many have gone through this here.
However, also typical that children and teenagers, especially girls, are changeable and it may turn out that in the end she will not wear it.
I went through this and almost ordered a jacket for my little princess, first from Jay and then from Sean, but her desire to imitate me passed faster than I could order ;)
My daughter followed me to all the air shows, came to my airline's open days, knew the planes and knew the names of the jackets, she wanted to follow my path and become an airline pilot for a very long time, but then suddenly at the age of 13 everything went away and now she indifferent to it.

Recently, she said in a conversation that she wouldn't wear either A2 or G1 or even Amelia's jacket - and this despite the fact that Earhart is still her idol.

It happens quite often.

The issue with the patch in this case is secondary and the patch on the children's jacket can be any.You can sew on whatever she likes. Unless she's immersed in reconstruction like you are.

Last edited:

Saint-ex

I totally agree with Flightengineer's wise words.

And also regarding the patch. In the case of a child, I would prefer the friendly and joyful side to the historical reality. This flying tigers patch is way more indicated than a Burma Banshees one per example. :D

And for the size, let see with the available width so that it remains harmonious

coolhandluke

My two cents

If I were you, I would wonder if she (herself) wants such a jacket. Is it her desire to have a jacket like yours or is it more yours wish?
Your desire as a father to dress your child in a jacket "like dad" is quite typical and many have gone through this here.
However, also typical that children and teenagers, especially girls, are changeable and it may turn out that in the end she will not wear it.
I went through this and almost ordered a jacket for my little princess, first from Jay and then from Sean, but her desire to imitate me passed faster than I could order ;)
My daughter followed me to all the air shows, came to my airline's open days, knew the planes and knew the names of the jackets, she wanted to follow my path and become an airline pilot for a very long time, but then suddenly at the age of 13 everything went away and now she indifferent to it.

Recently, she said in a conversation that she wouldn't wear either A2 or G1 or even Amelia's jacket - and this despite the fact that Earhart is still her idol.

It happens quite often.

The issue with the patch in this case is secondary and the patch on the children's jacket can be any.You can sew on whatever she likes. Unless she's immersed in reconstruction like you are.

She has specifically stated that she wanted a jacket like my Avi G&F repro. She's only 5 at this point. Still young enough to think that having something that her father has is something to be proud of.

The jacket is $130 and I figure that she will likely only get two years of wear out of it at best. If it weren't for the fairly inexpensive cost, I would never have given it a second thought. I am very much assuming that this will be a passing phase, but figured that it would be a good opportunity to give her a special birthday gift. No other expectations or forcing of my interests on her.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

I totally agree with Flightengineer's wise words.

And also regarding the patch. In the case of a child, I would prefer the friendly and joyful side to the historical reality. This flying tigers patch is way more indicated than a Burma Banshees one per example. :D

And for the size, let see with the available width so that it remains harmonious

Agreed, I have mixed feelings about even putting something war related on an article of clothing that will be worn by a child. On the other hand, I also have hang-ups with patching a repro jacket with a fantasy patch. I felt that a Disney designed patch would be a decent middle ground. I've also been strongly considering going the route of a 2nd PS panda patch. Pretty much a nondescript, animal themed design, that the general public probably wouldn't recognize.

VQhYOcO.jpeg

Flightengineer

Come up with a Disney-style patch for her, don't take a historical one. For example, in the style of a funny animal sitting on an abstract plane.It can be drawn or given to someone to embroider.

CBI

Enjoy your kid jacket project!

Here are mine I did for my daughter in the 6 to 11 year old range. The NASA was worn a bit in high school. The one she wears now is a ratty MA-1 no patches, wears not often and probably won't in college.

IMG_1400.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg

Micawber

A 91st Bomb Group B-17 ball turret veteran and special friend of ours procured a mini leather A2 jacket that he also painted with the group patch and unique, personalised artwork on the back. He presented this to us when our son was still a baby and it was not until he was two or three ish that he was big enough to wear it - but only on special occasions. Needless to say that it still hangs in pristine condition in his wardrobe. A special reminder of a special time.

I say go for it and embellish it however you fancy Luke, you know your daughter better than anyone here.

My preference would be for an A-2 style but that's just me.

Kermit3D

Enjoy your kid jacket project!

Here are mine I did for my daughter in the 6 to 11 year old range. The NASA was worn a bit in high school. The one she wears now is a ratty MA-1 no patches, wears not often and probably won't in college.

View attachment 81789View attachment 81788View attachment 81787

Wow I love them!

One of my two daughters is on the right track

20210316_105809.jpg

coolhandluke, a disney style patch, with no weapon or bomb representation is a great idea.

Kermit3D

I've always loved this Disney cartoon: "Pedro"
A theme to explore ?

coolhandluke

Hey, what about a WASP patch? Its classic Disney, girly, fun and is an opportunity for the little aviatrix to learn about woman flyers in real life, and their contributions etc...
View attachment 81819View attachment 81820

I thought about using a Fifinella patch. Figured that would look out of place on anything other than an A2.

I actually discussed some of the patch designs with her yesterday evening. The flying tigers and panda were the two that were best received, with the tiger being her favorite. I may see if I can find a flying tiger patch without the blue and white field. I may also attempt to paint a fantasy patch using the flying tiger as well. I used to be a decent sketch artist, but haven't done much in the way of painting within the last 20 years.

Ideally, I'd like to place a patch with a name tag over the top on the left side of the jacket, like the AVG USN jacket examples.

One of the other thoughts that I had was to somehow encorporate The Lion Guard logo into a design since it is one of her favorite Disney Programs.

view.jpeg.jpg

coolhandluke

I've located a 2" x 3.5" flying tiger patch that looks like it may be a good candidate, since it's lacking the blue and white field. The size should be perfect as well. The only issue is that it has a hook and loop backing.

Screenshot_20220803-192254_Samsung Internet.jpg

FlakMagnet

I've located a 2" x 3.5" flying tiger patch that looks like it may be a good candidate, since it's lacking the blue and white field. The size should be perfect as well. The only issue is that it has a hook and loop backing.

View attachment 81823Try soaking it in hot water to loosen the glue that holds the velcro/hook and loop fabric on the back. It should make it easy to separate it