• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

48th FIS Alber Turner MA-1 Patching Project

bw-8

I had been contemplating how to patch an original Albert Turner MA-1 and was inspired by this one from BR's fall 2007 line:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/miyoshiya-net/446601/898673/974228/

I hunted around and scored a nice lot of original 48th FIS patches on Greed Bay and may patch the jacket like this:

48thfisma-1.jpg

I've got the 48th FIS squadron patch on the right chest; a white stenciled name tag with a F-106 48th FIS "Devils" underneath it to cover the "water stains"; F-106 "Dart" on the right sleeve and early 60's "Air Defense Command" on the left.

The pictured name tag actually reads "500FMS" (and is part of another project) but I intend to get a similar one to put in its place. Some of you may be thinking I should use a plastic pouch and leather name tag with wings but I'm not real keen on those. I am even thinking of stenciling the back like on the BR version but this may be overkill.

What do you guys think? :geek:

P.S. Anyone ever heard of the 500th FMS? I can't find any info about it anywhere but have an original patch and name tag from this unit. I know it's a Field Maintenance Squadron but there was no 500th bomb Wing in SAC and I can't find any record of it being part of the 500th AR Wing either. :?

watchmanjimg

Great project! I like the idea of borrowing the BR concept but with original jacket and insignia. However, I'm not sure the ADC patch should be on the left shoulder. We explored similar issues awhile back and while there was no definite consensus on whether major command insignia was worn at all during the late '50s-early '60s, I believe it's clear that it would be attached to the right chest. You might try an ADC skill patch on the left shoulder instead. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will look fantastic.

Here's one of my project jackets, in honor of the 318th FIS. I used an original photo as a guide, and as mine is a post-'68 jacket it bears an Aerospace Defense Command skill patch. Sorry for the poor scan quality.

JimL2B028.jpg

The 500th FMS indeed seems to be a tough unit to find information on. Can you post a scan of the patch? You may want to submit a pic to USAFPatches.com as they maintain an extensive database of patches. I suppose you already know they don't have anything on the 500th FMS . . .

Weasel_Loader

I like the idea. I don't have a lot of knowledge on ADC units and patching. Not sure about the 500th FMS. Not sure I'd use those particular patches with a FMS name tag, since FMS was a maintenance oriented squadron and the jacket is patched more like a pilot jacket. Maintenance folks did wear nylon flight jackets up until about mid to late 60s but were patched differently than the pilots. I've never been a big fan of the Buzz jackets with the stencil on the back since I've never come across any period photos showing that in use. I'm just really picky when it comes to patching flight jackets and only using period photos to get it right. Good luck with your project and it seems your on the right track to making a nice ADC jacket. Sorry I have no info on 500th FMS. Might have been a small squadron that existed for a VERY short time. Pretty common during that period. ;)

tamoko

This original Patched Jacket from this SQ
http://www.f-106deltadart.com/48fis.htm

Hard to see but not so many patch. Looks like "Air Defense Command" wrong for this SQ.
Typical from time photos i saw ADC like wing patch on right chest not on the left sleeve.
From original photos i think F-106 "Dart" on the right sleeve, right chest 48th FIS, blue name tag, left sleeves 48th FIS "Devils" ? or ADC competition "skill patch".
48fis_korea_500lb-2.jpg

48devil.jpg

48.jpg

This example for "Air Defense Command" & "hustler"? pilot on right.

ursini-3.jpg

ADS on SR-71
tail003.JPG

tamoko

I think Leather in Plastic name tag (not blue name tag) and orangelined Jacket more correct for this Squadron and this time. And probably 60' L-2B not graylined MA-1.
F-106 pilot
15rogers_182.jpg

bw-8

Here's the 500 FMS patch lot that I recently found. I've posted it on USAFpatches.com to try to grt more info!

500fmslot.jpg

I don't intend to use this name tag on the MA-1. I'm just using it as lillustrative of the type that I am thinking of using.

bw-8

Here's what I got from the forum at USAFpatches.com:

"these are more than likely from the 500th ARW (Air Refueling Wing), Selfridge AFB. in Michigan. (15 Nov 1962-15 Dec 1964) -- KC-97's"

A short lived unit as Danny has suggested! :cool: