• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'40's horesehide civilian A-2 project

fishmeok

I picked this up a little while back, thought it was much little larger than it actually is. I'm not disappointed though, it is a VERY cool example. I particularly like the long pointed collar. It has some odd features, like cloth pockets with cut-outs in the body of the jacket (no handwarmers!) and some other interesting construction features. Triple marked Talon, with a bad spot on the left side that I think I can fix. Thick horsehide with some incredible wear, and in great condition. I'm going to replace the original trashed liner with an A-2 style, and use this jacket to try my hand at making a pattern (it's the only original I have) so I can replicate it- scalloped Dubow-style pocket flaps would go much better with that collar. This will take a while, have to pull the motor out of a saab first, but I think a normal sized version of this coat would be pretty damn nifty. It's about a 40, and after I'm done copying and repairing it the jacket will be going back on the 'bay.

Cheers
Mark

DSCN3910.jpg

DSCN3912.jpg

DSCN3913.jpg

DSCN3915.jpg

DSCN3917.jpg

DSCN3918.jpg

DSCN3919.jpg

DSCN3920.jpg

DSCN3921.jpg

A

Anonymous

Interesting how it has the side panels similar to the Cooper.

Hawkeye

Very nice, it'll look great once you've finished working on it. It actually looks more like a civie ANJ-3 to my eyes than an A-2.

fishmeok

Forgot to post the tag and liner- this jacket is a real mishmash of various A-2 and civilian features. By the time this jacket came out (I'm pretty sure it's post WWII) the A-2 design had been around for a while, had probably percolated into the fashion industry the way "members only" jackets did in the '80's. The tag is from some company in California, and while the stitching is good, it's clearly not as good as what is found on military A-2's. The thread is too thin and the stitch count is too high. NICE friggin horsehide though. Wish it was that easy to get this kind of stuff today.

Cheers
Mark

DSCN3926.jpg

DSCN3924.jpg