• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40's bike jacket by Smith's of California

Peter Graham

Here's a nice little jacket I picked up recently that's quickly become a favourite. The lining is quite worn but the horsehide is very solid and the bi-swing back makes it super comfortable. The tags are all present including a linen tag in one pocket which is hard to make out but has the number 2165 amongst other info. A nice touch is the blackened Talon zippers which work perfectly. Any info on the manufacturer would be appreciated.
jacket001-2.jpg

jacket005-1.jpg

jacket006.jpg

jacket003-2.jpg

Vcruiser

Peter
Never heard of that particular maker...but it looks of good quality and fits you very well.
Van

HHjackets

that is one cool jacket! i must get me a halfbelt, no luck so far!
the side straps sit quite low, tightens the jacket right at waist/belt. they are usually sewn higher at the halfbelt section.

Jamesp

Great Jacket Peter!

Love the Bi-Swing back.

Can I ask how much you paid?

I am looking at 40/50s half belts myself at the moment and am trying to get an idea of what to pay.

James

T-Bolt

Hey Peter,

Very nice looking jacket. Do you plan to have it re-lined sometime or are going to leave it as is??

It sure looks good on ya!

Ted

Peter Graham

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Jamesp, I paid £70 for the jacket plus £20 shipping from the US. I don't know if that's good or bad. I have no experience of these jackets but I'm happy with what I paid cause it's a great jacket. Ted, I think I will leave the lining original. It's not bad enough to warrant replacing. Bill, I'm still riding my Triumph speed triple but I think I need a change. I've had this mad idea for a while about building an old skool chop. Maybe this summer !

Jamesp

I have just paid £150.00 for a 50s half belt horsehide, not even a bi-swing back!

I would rather have paid £70.00 for yours so I would say you have a bargain, well done.

I guess it's what's avaiiable at the time and, if like me, you are impatient, waiting for a bargain is hard to do.

But I did get a 30s pleated bi-swnig back in cape-skin recently for £25.00 although it has some damage.

The 50s one is due to arrive tomorrow, so If I get time over the weekend, I shall post some pictures of both jackets.

Cheerio for now.

jonbuilder

Petter
I like your jacket - you fit it well. Regardless of what you paid for it, your expression is priceless

best regards
jon

Jamesp

Two Half Belts

Here is my £25.00 bargain: late30s/early 40s ‘Daniel Boone’ half belt.

It is a very fine jacket, very soft cape skin and feels great.

I have carried out some repairs to some pretty awful tears on the shoulder by using flexible glue to stick down the torn flaps of leather. I then applied boot polish followed by some Pecards.

The next is a quite different half belt!

It’s front quarter horsehide, I think 40s or 50s and is thick, supple and tough.

I may have paid a bit much for it (£150.00) but just had to have it!!

Cheerio

James.

HHjackets

looks like the chest zipper on the second jacket is designed to be used with the left hand i guess, how practical is it?

Jamesp

Only practical to use with the right hand.

The pocket is shallow which makes it easy to retrieve any contents.

Peter Graham

Nice jackets James. I'm really getting into these half belts. I wonder if they were marketed as motorcycle jackets or just general utility jackets ?

Jamesp

Interesting question Peter,

Can’t say I know the answer, although I suspect they were marketed to both.

I wore the horsehide jacket today on a ride out on my vintage motorcycles.

I am aware that they do not offer the protection of more modern motorcycle jackets but I just feel it’s more appropriate to wear period gear on the older bikes.

I would not wear an original Irvin or A2 on a bike for fear of wrecking it.

But then I could wreck a 70 year old bike if I dropped it!

Do you, or anyone else one else, have an opinion on this?

James

jonbuilder

The most valuable asset when you go down is your passenger and yourself. Jacket, motorcycles, and other riding gear like full face helmet are replaceable. The last thing I am thinking about bouncing off the road after a high side is my jacket.

keep the rubber side down
jon

Peter Graham

jonbuilder said:
The most valuable asset when you go down is your passenger and yourself. Jacket, motorcycles, and other riding gear like full face helmet are replaceable. The last thing I am thinking about bouncing off the road after a high side is my jacket.

keep the rubber side down
jon
You must ride pretty hard to high side on the road but I tend to agree with you now I'm older. A few years back I would have said that people heal for free but you gotta pay to fix bikes but I realise now after breaking a lot of bones that the most important thing is to be able to get up and walk away. Dress acordingly to the bike you ride. If you ride a 50's Norton you can get away with vintage gear but if you ride a GSXR 1000 you better wear the best armour you can afford.

Happy Hooligan

Love the original half belts. I've been shopping for a while for an original. But I'm really picky...

Tough to find a 44 long.

I have my Aero and love it, but would love a real one.