• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

34th Bomber Sqn - Doolittle Raiders

fleet16b

Hi
I am trying to find a good color photo of this squadron patch as worn by some members of the
Doolittle Raiders
It can be seen on pics taken of them on the Deck of the Hornet just prior to the missin
The squadron was know as the Thunderbirds
If anyone can pass a long a good example I would appreciate it as I am hoping to have an example made for me

Thanks

dujardin

34bs_zps67755e1d.jpg

;)

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
Not sure, but I think these were done as painted on canvas. Not currently painting patches but get a hold of my friend Jim.

The some of the later war versions were layered leather, which should be right up your ally!

a2jacketpatches

unclegrumpy said:
a2jacketpatches said:
Not sure, but I think these were done as painted on canvas. Not currently painting patches but get a hold of my friend Jim.

The some of the later war versions were layered leather, which should be right up your ally!

No kidding? If I knew that........Anyone got a pic of it? It'll be a regular item now.

EMBLEMHUNTER

There 's a nice one on this site ranger95 go into the "airforce" category scroll down to "Bomber Squadrons" click it and then 34th and scroll down and look at lowest right side one, I think this one is an original
Johnny

a2jacketpatches

Looking for the multi-piece leather version that Uncle Grumpy mentioned or a good close up of the embroidered version on brown wool if anyone has it. This is going on an expensive Eastman so I'm trying to get it right for him.

a2jacketpatches

Was posting the same time as you John, didn't mean to not comment on the good work, awesome as usual. Here's an original on the jacket. Would like a close up of this one.
Stilllife_zps06d12eec.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

The few "originals" I have seen of the 34th have always had a thin "red" border around them,and a large brown outer most border not the "yellow" depicted with the large red area then brown border in the other post, what proof do you have of the yellow being used please ,I'm curious ???????????????
Johnny

a2jacketpatches

I think the only proof is that of the original raiders patch embroidered on brown, and it absolutely does not have the yellow. The possible later war multi-piece leather version could have it and I'm very anxious to see one, but doesn't really matter if a guy is out to represent the actual Raiders. Most of the references I see on Google have the yellow so everyone most likely just copies without giving much thought. I don't even see a cheap copy that tried to be true to the original. I think the unit has been around forever so the change is very possible, but certainly not for 1942 on the Hornet. The photo I posted is good enough to go by for me along with another I have, but I sure love to see that late war MPL version. If I never do, I'll be designing mine after the original Raiders no yellow on brown version.

CBI

Sean - looking forward to seeing it. I have seen so many pics with different color variations. The Raiders is from a stateside embroidered run. But then there's the MTO and ETO era and I think they were all over the map.

A "true" Raiders version look is going to most probably need to be embroidered in any case, not painted or layered leather??????????

Based on all of those Raiders pics on the Hornet.......................

a2jacketpatches

CBI said:
Sean - looking forward to seeing it. I have seen so many pics with different color variations. The Raiders is from a stateside embroidered run. But then there's the MTO and ETO era and I think they were all over the map.

A "true" Raiders version look is going to most probably need to be embroidered in any case, not painted or layered leather??????????

Based on all of those Raiders pics on the Hornet.......................

I'm with you on the true Raiders patch, but embroidered is a difficult process for me and not cost effective for most, I think he's going for the MPL version and I'll be using the embroidered patch as the model for it. Would be a cool thing to see the variations as they changed locations anyway. Is your incised based on an original photo or your educated guess design for the MTO?

fleet16b

Hi Guys
As Sean states above I have opted for the layered leather version
Am very excited to see the final outcome and how it will look on the jacket
I am sure Sean will post some pics of the patch here on VLJ
and I will will post some also once it is mounted on the jacket

Next project will be to research patches as seen on some of the early A1 Army Air Corps jackets

CBI

Sean's result will be cool for sure and I can't wait to see it. To be honest, I don't recall exactly which photos I used. I only remember resolutions not being very good in many cases. I think brown or red instead of yellow is certainly a safe bet!!!!!

Apologies, I have had no time to even give this hobby much thought the last 6 months or so. Just very occasional visits!

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thanks for posting the photo of the image I mentioned from ranger95 site , I think that one is a fairly close rendering of the early version, at least on leather , I also think the Hornet worn patch of the 34th was a sewn type .
Johnny