• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2x ATC patches & a bonus

Yardstick

Here are a couple of AFATC patches I finished a few weeks back. The first is an interesting variation on the novelty nude. Whilst I try to stick as closely as possible to an original, I had to draw the line at replicating the reclining nude's amputated left arm (whether it was deliberate or not). So my version reinstates the missing limb, whilst maintaining (at least in my eyes) the naïve look of the original . I also changed her hair, as the original made her look like she'd swapped ears with a cocker spaniel. The patch is composed of various pieces of goat and horse hide both painted and through dyed. The gold section is painted horse (the chestnut base colour helps to bring out the gold). The nude is goat skin with inked detail.

The other AFATC patch is my second go at replicating a medal ribbon Morse Code border and the silver section replicates the doped aircraft fabric used on many originals. The rest of the patch is a mix of painted, dyed, and suede goat.

As a bonus, given their 'Hump' connections, I've included my second version of the 1328th Air Force Base Unit 'The Gas Haulers' . This patch uses a mix of dyed and painted goat and is notable for the hack I used to replicated the neon pink leather of the original (the tailor probably had some leather left over from a run of ladies handbags). Anyway, the colour was impossible to reproduce with paint, at least any paint I have. So after I showed it to my wife, she suggested using a felt tipped colouring pen. Well I tried it on a sample piece and it came out amazing well, so I went ahead and coloured the whole section with the pen! I couldn't have matched the original better. :cool:

Image1.jpg

Img_0743.jpg

Last edited: