• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

23rd FG

TankBuster

Another fantasy jacket! Ebay has become the Dollar store of original A2 jackets! 90% shit, but if you dig long enough, you may find a good one!

dujardin

not so strange, sometimes it's more suitable to KEEP YOUR SECRET SECRET...

if you want to avoid challenge

don't say to anybody you discover a treasure

byeeeeeeeee marcel

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:
Another fantasy jacket! Ebay has become the Dollar store of original A2 jackets! 90% shit, but if you dig long enough, you may find a good one!

..........like a real 23rd fg jkt? :eek:

shanghai joe

dujardin said:

byeeeeeeeee marcel

you blew it. Simon! should have kept it to yerself :)

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:
shanghai joe said:
TankBuster said:

..........like a real 23rd fg jkt? :eek:

You bet! :roll: :lol:

already found it...........as published in the McGuires book! still another one may surface on ebay...............you bet! :D :?

A

Anonymous

dujardin said:

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Treasure ... :lol: No point keeping this secret, it's a good source of entertainment.

TankBuster

There's plenty of put together/bad jackets in Mcguires book. There's a couple notorious ones, but I will not go any further! The 23rd patch on this jacket is not like any of the 3 other originals that I have seen which were all good with provenance. All were identical in construction.
No point in arguing though! If you like it, go for it. Hey, the sky is the limit.

Original patch:
23rd.jpg

A

Anonymous

I didn't see anything like this patch in Mcquires book nor any other reference book. I've never seen an origiginal 23rd patch like this before. The originals I've seen are leather multipiece, silk on silk edged in bullion and cloth. I've never seen an engaved one like this, in fact I don't think I've ever seen an engraved patch come out of the CBI, though I could be wrong.

DSC018061.jpg

TankBuster

Simon,
You are 100% accurate. Thus the YOU BET!!
Look at the original above. That's what all 3 I have seen look like. Again all with provenance. I'm sure there are other variants, but this patch is not correct at all!

Roughwear

This is the same guy who sold the size 38 Aero with the squadron patch which was discussed on the last forum. This Poughkeepsie is of course a 1942 contract and probably did not go into production until mid-late '42 at the earliest. I emailed the seller and explained this alone rules it out as being an authentic AVG jacket. He has not revised his description, perhaps hoping someone will pay mega bucks for this "real" Flying Tiger jacket!

TankBuster

Andrew,
I think you're thinking of the AVG. This patch is that of the 23rd fighter group. Succesors to the actual Flying Tigers. The 23rd flew until the end of the war. The time frame is OK. The patch itself is not.

A

Anonymous

You are right about the CBI using composite, however there are many variations and nothing is cast in stone.

A

Anonymous

MarkP40 said:
You are right about the CBI using composite, however there are many variations and nothing is cast in stone.

Variations such as? Dayglo goretex variant? Nice.

I think it prudent to determine fact based upon some form of documented evidence of provenance i.e. photography, interview etc.

Four types I'm reliably informed are considered to be correct: Silk on silk; silk on silk + bullion; cloth; and leather multipiece. The latter being the best known, same as the one Tankbuster posted above. Would love to see other variants, if they exist.

A

Anonymous

So you are saying it's not possible to have painted on insignias in the CBI theater of operations. I already did my research, I won't waste my time teaching or posting pics you can look it up yourself. ART OF THE FLIGHT JACKET page 147 20th air force CBI, page 130 427th night fighter squadron CBI, pages 141 and 142 83rd bomb squadron CBI, page 139 14th air force CBI, AMERICAN FLIGHT JACKETS PAGE 81 13TH bomb squadron CBI, page 85 89th fighter squadron CBI, pages 86,87,90,91,92,93, and 95 all are examples of hand painted chest patches in the CBI. My comment was that most were composite, however there are many variations in the CBI. You also have an attitude for no reason.