• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

23rd FG / 75th FS

A

Anonymous

DSC00492.jpg

DSC00495.jpg

A

Anonymous

They're the real thing, originals. So I guess an old guy in Karachi made them, circa 1942-44.

shedonwanna

Tranquility Base said:
They're the real thing, originals. So I guess an old guy in Karachi made them, circa 1942-44.

oh yes, that would be saed wajed ali. any maker's id on the back?

here's one made by an old guy in texas...

23rdfg5sheep.jpg

TankBuster

The 23rd looked good to me, the 75th honestly is the one that threw me, and made me think repro. There's a guy making some very convincing repros of both these patches.
Where did you find them? They are in super condition.

A

Anonymous

from a well known collector. would be useful if you post pics of the repros... there are some good ones but can usually (!) tell the difference if you have them in your hand to compare.

TankBuster

Simon,
I'll try to track some down. He uses period machines (when correct), and sometimes even materials on his various repops...When he started it was very easy to spot a couple things, but now he has some of the details down that I used to look for, very good.
Congrats on the patches! Outstanding condition! Linked to a pilot?

A

Anonymous

The 23rd came with a chit and is linked to a 76th sqn pilot, CATF 1942, x 2 kills.
The 75th is not related and has no link.

rob75IT

Here is a 23rd FG I made for a guy on the the forum.
Taken for the Tex Hill jackets pics.
Hand sewed, hidden points on the tiger. Of course as most of my patches is on incised leather. That may make the patch not so proper (even if the draw is perfectly correct) but I like the resolute. I'm actually working on the same patch for one of my jackets, the only different will be that it will be leather on
silk.

DSCN7720.jpg

Here is the link with other pictures
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/ ... 23rd%20FG/

Curahee

shedonwanna said:
Tranquility Base said:

oh yes, that would be saed wajed ali. any maker's id on the back?

here's one made by an old guy in texas...

23rdfg5sheep.jpg

That old guy, would that be David Lee Miller ? had one of his patches along time ago

Hamsterbear

Tranquility Base said:

Hold them under a black light, if the thread "glows", they are modern reproductions.
I hope for you, that they are originals, as they are mint and show absolutely no signs of age from 60+ years of storage, not even the slightest bit of yellowing. These look as if the Smithsonian stored them in a climate controlled enviroment.
If real originals, they are worth a lot of money in that condition.
-Brian
This is my 23rd FG patch:
Eastmanpatches.jpg

shedonwanna

That old guy, would that be David Lee Miller ? had one of his patches along time ago

yep, I am he. I enjoy this forum and visit daily eventhough I don't post a lot. saving my money for a GW and still painting and gleaning inspiration from the likes of jerome and roberto. here is another recent piece:

icwatce.jpg

rob75IT

shedonwanna said:

yep, I am he. I enjoy this forum and visit daily eventhough I don't post a lot. saving my money for a GW and still painting and gleaning inspiration from the likes of jerome and roberto. here is another recent piece:

icwatce.jpg

Hi David
Nice to see you on the forum!!!

A

Anonymous

rob75IT said:
The 23rd looks like made form the same draw of the one on Tex Hill jacket.

Hi Roberto - yes I think so, and the same as on web-birds.

http://www.web-birds.com/14th/23/23.htm

Scroll down the photos and you'll see another near mint one, brought back by Lt. Pearsall:

PiersallA2Banner002-2.jpg

Hamsterbear said:
These look as if the Smithsonian stored them in a climate controlled enviroment.

Thanks. Yes, they're both in great condition. They've been looked after and stored well. Here's the chit associated with the 23rd patch. An early one before the addition of the word 'American' in parenthesis.

DSC00494.jpg