• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004 Eastman RW1401p

fleet16b

IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_4085.JPG
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_4087.JPG
IMG_4088.JPG
IMG_4089.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG
IMG_4091.JPG

I bought this A2 brand new from Eastman in 2004
Since then it has flown over 2000 flight hours in vintage aircraft , been to airshows all over N America , and has been involved in all manner of aviation adventures
Had the zip repaired and knits replaced a couple of years ago but besides that it has served me well.
A true testament to the durability of a horsehide A2
The patch is the 34 th Bomber Sqd " Thunderbirds" some members belonged to the famed Doolittle Raiders
I had the privilege of meeting the last Raider Richard Cole a few years ago and he was nice enough to sign the inside of the jacket .

IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4084.JPG IMG_4085.JPG IMG_4086.JPG IMG_4087.JPG IMG_4088.JPG IMG_4089.JPG IMG_4090.JPG IMG_4091.JPG IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4084.JPG IMG_4085.JPG

Last edited:

johnwayne

Never been a fan of the 1401 due to its (IMO) slightly oversize collar but I have to say that is one nicely aged A2 that I'd be pleased to own, have you really not sanded it or HWT to get it looking like that? Does look like its a 40's original!

blackrat2

Very nice jacket
As DD says nice to hear it being worn as per originals
Patina is superb and the colour looks amazing

fleet16b

Never been a fan of the 1401 due to its (IMO) slightly oversize collar but I have to say that is one nicely aged A2 that I'd be pleased to own, have you really not sanded it or HWT to get it looking like that? Does look like its a 40's original!

Nope no sanding no hot water ..... the wear and tear is natural to the life it's lived. It goes with me everywhere
The lack of finish on the arms is from rubbing in aircraft cockpits
The back and shoulders are worn from aircraft shoulder harnesses
It's spent most of its time in pre 1945 aircraft ..... just where is should be.

B-Man2

I love it !!.. using a flight jacket for its intended purpose. It looks great in the cockpit . Great photo!!

A2 B3au

View attachment 1728 View attachment 1729 View attachment 1730 View attachment 1731 View attachment 1732 View attachment 1733 View attachment 1734 View attachment 1735 View attachment 1736
I bought this A2 brand new from Eastman in 2004
Since then it has flown over 2000 flight hours in vintage aircraft , been to airshows all over N America , and has been involved in all manner of aviation adventures
Had the zip repaired and knits replaced a couple of years ago but besides that it has served me well.
A true testament to the durability of a horsehide A2
The patch is the 34 th Bomber Sqd " Thunderbirds" some members belonged to the famed Doolittle Raiders
I had the privilege of meeting the last Raider Richard Cole a few years ago and he was nice enough to sign the inside of the jacket .

View attachment 1728 View attachment 1729 View attachment 1730 View attachment 1731 View attachment 1732 View attachment 1733 View attachment 1734 View attachment 1735 View attachment 1736 View attachment 1728 View attachment 1729 View attachment 1730
Absolutely cracking looking A2 you’ve got right there ,SaaWeeet

Grant

Really awesome looking 1401p! Also, really cool how the stitching has faded to a lighter almost khaki color in some areas.
Jimmy Stewart would approve!

Dom

Jacket looks Awesome!! I just started wearing my A2 in our biplanes during the cooler months and maybe in 2035 mine will look as great as yours!

Silver Surfer

when-if you need to consider replacing the zipper [again], ya might want to see if elc will replace it with a crown zipper, as that is what was originally used for this rw contract. whats more, im sure that gary, rob, et al would love to see how your jacket has aged.

fleet16b

when-if you need to consider replacing the zipper [again], ya might want to see if elc will replace it with a crown zipper, as that is what was originally used for this rw contract. whats more, im sure that gary, rob, et al would love to see how your jacket has aged.
Actually it had a Crown originally that eventually failed and ELC replaced it with a Talon saying it was more authentic. Gary and the boys have seen my jacket inperson in this condition