2 New Buzz's jackets but how many people will buy them?

Peacoat's pricetag is a fucking joke. You can still find near-pristine WWII examples VERY easily for $50 or under.
Now the WWI peacoats, different story...
 

tgd31968

Member
Both are out of line but if someone wants to pay for it, go for it.

$455 for a black m-65? Still have mine from the 1980's. Anyone want it, I'll make you a deal at $225, half the price of the Rickson, and already broken in. You won't have to put your new $455 jacket in a dryer full of rocks or whatever it is people do to age brand new $800 jackets.
 

Tim P

Active Member
I can beat your Black M-65 price.. lol it worries me that they are diversifying beyond the rational and charging the earth. the question is, is their customer base so up their own ass that they will buy these items at that price despite being able to get the same thing anywhere?
I am a big fan of black interpretations of classic jackets but some just beggar belief. alpha have that one covered and then some.
before a black M-65 I would like to see a range of B10's with white collars and red knits (Or an L2-A that doesnt have a skeleton decal) to choose from that doesnt change seasonally so you can get one when you can fund it.
 

dadgad

Member
kkochheiser said:
Wow, the Black A-1 even has genuine "buffaro Horn" buttons! :lol:

Kent
In Japanese, the "L" (and the "V" also) just doesn't exist, they pronounce "R" but not the English one because in English the "R" is pronounced in a strange way for we Latin speaking people.
 

Tim P

Active Member
I would like to know how a 44 in thta b-10 fits. if it fits like the 44 Navy deck zip I would be good with one.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
deeb7 said:
And on the other hand there's this, the biggest worry ... The BLAZING RED MA-1. I guess it could be useful if you're dressing up as Santa, but at the money, you'd want to be wearing it more than once a year.
I like it! Though admittedly, I'd probably want to see it in the flesh and try it on before committing...and then I wouldn't be looking to pay full price. Maybe it would feel out of place in NZ (?), but not in the slightest in Tokyo. I wonder if it fits like a regular MA-1 - as they tend to be too short on me - or if they've added a little extra in the body a la the Long William Gibson's.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
Miles_Archer said:
Peacoat's pricetag is a f*cking joke. You can still find near-pristine WWII examples VERY easily for $50 or under.
Now the WWI peacoats, different story...
Buzz's version is advertised as the 1910 model, and the price is 49,000 yen not $725.
 
asiamiles said:
Miles_Archer said:
Peacoat's pricetag is a f*cking joke. You can still find near-pristine WWII examples VERY easily for $50 or under.
Now the WWI peacoats, different story...
Buzz's version is advertised as the 1910 model, and the price is 49,000 yen not $725.
Hey Sherlock, here did I say that the price was $725? Also, the coat pictured on the HPA site is NOT the 1910 model, but the 30's/40's model. The WWI peacoat had four outer pockets. I'm sure you already knew this and just had a momentary bout of dementia.
 

deeb7

New Member
asiamiles said:
I like it! Though admittedly, I'd probably want to see it in the flesh and try it on before committing...and then I wouldn't be looking to pay full price. Maybe it would feel out of place in NZ (?), but not in the slightest in Tokyo.
I somehow knew that you'd like it Miles, just as soon as I saw it ... but as with some of your other colourful purchases, it could soon be back on eBay.

And I'm not scared of red ....

but BLAZING RED AND SHINY is another matter. :)
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
Miles_Archer said:
Hey Sherlock, here did I say that the price was $725? Also, the coat pictured on the HPA site is NOT the 1910 model, but the 30's/40's model. The WWI peacoat had four outer pockets. I'm sure you already knew this and just had a momentary bout of dementia.
No, I don't know anything about Peacoats; don't particularly like them myself...they always look sort-of anonymous to me. You said the WWI Peacoat was a rare item, so it would seem to make sense for Buzz to replicate one for the Japanese market (especially as Peacoats are popular in Japan), but not one of later ones what with them being widely available...and presumably these are not so very different from what you can get from Schott and other manufacturers? So have Buzz slipped up here and replicated the wrong model...they've got the buttons right but not the number of pockets?!

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/us_navy-0018.html
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
deeb7 said:
I somehow knew that you'd like it Miles, just as soon as I saw it ... but as with some of your other colourful purchases, it could soon be back on eBay.

And I'm not scared of red ....

but BLAZING RED AND SHINY is another matter. :)
Yes, I haven't forgotten the Buzz Lockheed jacket, an item I still actually really like but which just did not look good on me and ultimately I never wore.

Yes, it depends on the red. I think "shiny" comes with the material, nylon, but if it's too "blazing", hmmm...I'm hoping for a fairly deep red.
 

tgd31968

Member
on the HPA site, the price is $725:

Buzz Rickson’s
Pre-WWII U. S. Navy
Pea Coat
Price: $725.00
Shipping Costs: $22.75
UPS Ground and insurance within the continental USA.

Gift Certificates Available
Prices subject to change with out notice

Doesn't say anything about 1910, just pre-WWII. That generally means between the wars to most of us, but they are not specific in the description, at least not on the HPA site.
As far as arrogance, hey, they can charge whatever they want. If no one is willing to pay, they go out of business or the price comes down. Simple economics. Pea coats are not my thing anyway. If I wanted a heavy wool coat I would buy a Filson double mackinaw long before a Pea-coat.

The black m-65 still baffles me. As TP stated, Alpha has done that to death, and there is nothing particularly special about an m-65. I would think that $455 for something I can still walk into a surplus store and buy is not good business. I think every guy in the US has an M-65 hanging in the closet somewhere already. Just because it is based on some book series I never heard of until Buzz started mentioning it isn't much of a draw for me.

TD




Miles_Archer said:
asiamiles said:
Miles_Archer said:
Peacoat's pricetag is a f*cking joke. You can still find near-pristine WWII examples VERY easily for $50 or under.
Now the WWI peacoats, different story...
Buzz's version is advertised as the 1910 model, and the price is 49,000 yen not $725.
Hey Sherlock, here did I say that the price was $725? Also, the coat pictured on the HPA site is NOT the 1910 model, but the 30's/40's model. The WWI peacoat had four outer pockets. I'm sure you already knew this and just had a momentary bout of dementia.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
tgd31968 said:
on the HPA site, the price is $725:

Doesn't say anything about 1910, just pre-WWII. That generally means between the wars to most of us, but they are not specific in the description, at least not on the HPA site.
As far as arrogance, hey, they can charge whatever they want. If no one is willing to pay, they go out of business or the price comes down. Simple economics. Pea coats are not my thing anyway. If I wanted a heavy wool coat I would buy a Filson double mackinaw long before a Pea-coat.

The black m-65 still baffles me. As TP stated, Alpha has done that to death, and there is nothing particularly special about an m-65. I would think that $455 for something I can still walk into a surplus store and buy is not good business.
Buzz's website clearly states the Peacoat is a 1910's model; just follow the link in my earlier post. It's possible they have since changed their name for it, perhaps realising they were in error calling it such, and HPA's reflects this change...we will see.

The prices HPA charge are really nothing to do with Buzz, who obviously think - presumably based on sales of their previous William Gibson jackets - that they can sell enough black M-65's in Japan at 39,000 yen (plus tax) to make it worthwhile producing them. Perhaps those Japanese who buy such Buzz jackets wouldn't even consider a similar item made by Alpha?

But yes, it's hard to imagine HPA shifting too many of either of these...I wonder if they've made a mistake re. the price of the Peacoat as they don't have such a markup on Buzz flight jackets?
 

Tim P

Active Member
i took a look at the black M-65 and I will concede that it clearly has a quality of manufacture reminiscent of 60's mil spec so its not junk by any means. Put it next to an alpha or any one of a number of similar and I just don't think it will stand out that far. and when dollars go over the counter, the more go one way the more you expect back. I suspect that the peacoat will have such meticulous fabric sourcing issues that the price will be driven high? Still, not my cup of tea.
 

deeb7

New Member
Tim P said:
I suspect that the peacoat will have such meticulous fabric sourcing issues that the price will be driven high? Still, not my cup of tea.
Yes, and I don't think it will work out of Japan.

Mine came from the local surplus store, perfect condition, de-badged, ex French Navy .... $75.00 NZ.
 
Top