• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Greenbrier J-CWFS

watchmanjimg

Stony said:
My 1976 model only has MIL-J-83388A on the label, so what would you call those jackets before the CWU-45/P?

MikeyB-17 said:
OK, so as I understand it, the CWU-17/P had a hood and the means to attach it, the CWU-45/P didn't. You could retrofit a hood to a 45/P using the buttons supplied with it. I assume the 'CWU-45/P (mod)' in 'Suit up!' is a -45/P with a retrofitted hood? Would a -17/P say so on the label?

Gentlemen, these are good questions. I've never owned nor seen any examples of jackets produced under the original MIL-J-83388 spec so I can't comment on what the label says though I suspect it would not bear the CWU-17/P designation. I also find it odd that repeated Google searches fail to turn up so much as a single photo--even the excellent LJ Militaria website incorrectly states that the first winter CWU pattern was produced under MIL-J-83388A. However, we at least know the following:

1.) Per the USAF Technical Order concerning maintenance of Nomex flight gear (originally printed on 15 October 1972 and reprinted 16 January 1984 as Army TM 10-8400-202-13/Air Force TO 14P3-1-112) as well as the 1982 US Navy Rate Training Manual for Aircrew Survival Equipmentman (links to both publications are supplied earlier in the thread), the CWU-17/P is distinguished from the CWU-45/P insofar as it was supplied with a detachable hood and presumably manufactured with a means of attaching it.

2.) Jackets dated 1975 and 1976 are stated to have been produced under MIL-J-83388A specs dated 5 September 1973, are devoid of any "CWU" labeling, and lack attaching points for a hood, although instructions for modifying these jackets to accept a hood are provided in the above-referenced Army/Air Force technical publication.

3.) Jackets produced under MIL-J-83388A from 1977 on are expressly labeled "CWU-45/P," as are subsequent cold-weather versions.

Based on the foregoing, my best guess is that the CWU-17/P was unlikely to have been labeled as such although I imagine it must have been labeled MIL-J-83388 versus the later A revision. However, we do know that the A revision ultimately bore the CWU-45/P designation so I have no problem calling the '75 and '76 jackets "pre-CWUs" or "early CWU-45s." In any case it now appears safe to say that the 83388A jackets are not CWU-17/Ps.

MikeyB-17

Jim, many thanks for your input on all this. I've been puzzled for a long time about the various incarnations of the -45/P.

watchmanjimg

MikeyB-17 said:
Jim, many thanks for your input on all this. I've been puzzled for a long time about the various incarnations of the -45/P.

Mikey, the pleasure was all mine. Here's hoping we'll all move forward with a greater understanding of the development of the CWU series. Enjoy your new jacket!

Stony

Thank you for posting the information Jim. My version of the jacket from now on will be referred to as a MIL-J-83388.

watchmanjimg

Stony said:
Thank you for posting the information Jim. My version of the jacket from now on will be referred to as a MIL-J-83388.

You're welcome, Stony, but isn't your jacket a MIL-J-83388A?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
Gentlemen, these are good questions. I've never owned nor seen any examples of jackets produced under the original MIL-J-83388 spec so I can't comment on what the label says though I suspect it would not bear the CWU-17/P designation.

In their little chart at the end of the section, Suit Up lists the first model as follows:

• J-CWFS (CWU-17/P)

Designation/Specification

Jacket-Cold Weather Flyer's System (Detachable Hood)
    Type CWU-17P, mIL-J-83388

I'm guessing their bracketing of CWU-17P means that it doesn't appear on the label, so you all seem to be in agreement.

MikeyB-17

Peter Graham said:
MikeyB-17 said:
HHjackets said:
what is the fabric/size of the orange flag?

It's a rough square of silky fabric, Rayon or similar, measuring about 50 inches by 52.

That's a fair size. Bet you didn't get it folded up so small after you measured it. :)

It's not too bad-it has a network of clearly defined creases, so it's just a case of making sure you fold it up the right way-it's like folding up a map! Not a thing I will be making a habit of though-the edges are unfinished and threads are already coming loose.

herk115

MikeyB-17 said:
OK, so as I understand it, the CWU-17/P had a hood and the means to attach it, the CWU-45/P didn't. You could retrofit a hood to a 45/P using the buttons supplied with it. I assume the 'CWU-45/P (mod)' in 'Suit up!' is a -45/P with a retrofitted hood? Would a -17/P say so on the label?

Okay, you guys may have just cleared up a minor mystery for me. When I was issued my flying gear in 1985 at Little Rock AFB, I recall being issued a hood. As I recall the hood was green, nylon-like, had fur (mouton?) around the edges, and had a loop of wire sewn inside so it could be shaped to fit. I was a bit curious about being issued a hood with no coat, but chalked it up to the air force's mysterious ways. My assumption then was that it was meant for my field jacket, but this was a flying gear issue, and my field jacket already had a hood. I didn't lose sleep over it and tossed the hood into my B-4 bag where it languished for who knows how long. It would pop up every now and again, and I'd wonder about it. I don't recall if there were any buttons or velcro for attachment. I don't recall being issued any kit containing buttons or velcro for that purpose, just a jacketless hood. But the hood came in the same issue as my nomex flight jackets, so this could very well have the hood you guys are discussing. I don't know whatever became of it, but it's long gone now.

Second, what is this "Suit Up!" you guys are talking about? Never heard of it.

Cheers,

Larry

MikeyB-17

'Suit Up! The Flight Jacket' by Kesaharu Imai, World Photo press ISBN4-8465-2012-9.

A book in Japanese but full of pics of flight jackets. No longer the definitive resource it once was, but still very informative and interesting and well worth picking up.