• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 orange summer flight suit

MauldinFan

I got this a while back, really inexpensively and it fits me very well.

Tag reads:
Coveralls, Flying, Men’s, Summer
Specification MIL-C-5309(wep)
Contract No. DSA-1-3938-64C

51665068398_786aa6fccc_c.jpg

There's no ghosts for patches ever being sewn onto it. Looks like it's in unissued condition, no wear on it anywhere.
I know the DSA # means it's a 1964 flight suit but the rest makes me think maybe it's USN?
Looking at this shot of the Mercury Seven, only the Navy guys are wearing them (with their classic brown shoes).
No Velcro patches, which confirms my theory that flight suits at one point came without them sewn on from the factory.
I know I shouldn't, but if I ever find a good original NASA patch from the mercury era, I'd be awfully tempted to sew it onto this...

917_k

Likewise, I prefer collecting USAF kit, but some early Navy stuff is interesting.

4D839D69-EC12-44C3-B21C-AA4952184B6C.jpeg

Here’s the period correct G-1, gloves, Mk-2 life preserver and flight helmet that a Navy flier might have worn with their orange flight suit. Photographed these earlier in the year, but didn’t have the flight suit with me at the time. I’ve also got the correct g-trousers to go with this.

ausreenactor

I got this a while back, really inexpensively and it fits me very well.

Tag reads:
Coveralls, Flying, Men’s, Summer
Specification MIL-C-5309(wep)
Contract No. DSA-1-3938-64C

51665068398_786aa6fccc_c.jpg

There's no ghosts for patches ever being sewn onto it. Looks like it's in unissued condition, no wear on it anywhere.
I know the DSA # means it's a 1964 flight suit but the rest makes me think maybe it's USN?
Looking at this shot of the Mercury Seven, only the Navy guys are wearing them (with their classic brown shoes).
No Velcro patches, which confirms my theory that flight suits at one point came without them sewn on from the factory.
I know I shouldn't, but if I ever find a good original NASA patch from the mercury era, I'd be awfully tempted to sew it onto this...
Have one and some original rank from the period. It's insanely bright.