• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 in a box? Custom Goodwear cafe racer!

watchmanjimg

I recently took delivery of a jacket I'd been wanting for a long time but never got around to ordering. I've always been fond of the Buco J-100 and similar "cafe racer" designs, but I must confess to a strong preference for a heavier aluminum main zipper and rear-mounted sleeve zips as typically seen in motorcycle jackets of the 1960s and thereafter. Thus, I envisioned a jacket incorporating the trim design of the J-100 with a few minor changes. To put it mildly, I found the finished product breathtaking. Here are some quick shots:

As can be seen in the photos, the torso of the jacket follows JC's standard Californian "Racer" pattern. However, the sleeve zippers were fitted to the underside of the forearm instead of the outside per the traditional J-100. Additionally, JC used a sturdier nylon lining fabric and fitted a NOS #7 aluminum Talon main zip per my request. This lends more of a 1960s look that in my view really makes this jacket stand out.

Here are some pics of JC himself modeling the jacket on the GW website:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/C ... er_No3_44/

Overall I'm quite pleased with this jacket. The Italian horsehide exudes a lovely aroma and is already developing grain. The fit is excellent, with more than adequate freedom of movement despite the absence of any sort of action back (a real testament to the original pattern). Although I rarely get to wear jackets here in FL, this one is of a sensible weight for the occasional cooler nights.

I look forward to an opportunity to wear it!

CBI

agreed, John seems to be making the finest leather jackets just about anywhere on the planet. Military, civi, no matter - the best - hats off to him!!!!!

watchmanjimg

Guys, thanks for the kind words. I have other projects currently in the works that I'm sure you'll like . . .