• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Cagleco G1

m444uk

I've got a foster 7823 daily wearer size 46. The dimensions are similar apart from 21" shoulder and 24 1/2 chest. In other words a modern cut from a jacket made in the 1950's.

Peter Graham

Beautiful. What a find. Your dilemma now is, keep it stone mint or start wearing it ? The cleaner the jacket, the bigger the dilemma. Don't let anyone throw that box in the trash !

CBI

I was not making a value judgement on the price (if its was/is too much to pay. To find a jacket like this, I guess any amount is worth it. Admit kind of hard seeing that sort of price for a Navy jacket but you don't see these everyday (in the box!). Good point about what to do. its SO mint, do you wear it? You almost might need to buy a more used one to actually wear :)

Your jacket is a museum piece for sure. I don't think a custom made jacket could fit you any better!

Enjoy .............................

Dr H

CBI said:
I was not making a value judgement on the price (if its was/is too much to pay. To find a jacket like this, I guess any amount is worth it. Admit kind of hard seeing that sort of price for a Navy jacket but you don't see these everyday (in the box!). Good point about what to do. its SO mint, do you wear it? You almost might need to buy a more used one to actually wear :)

Your jacket is a museum piece for sure. I don't think a custom made jacket could fit you any better!

Too fine to be a wearer IMHO - I wouldn't even trust myself to lose the packing creases...

767fo

CBI said:

John, you have a very valid point on the price of the jacket. I still cannot believe I spent this much :eek: I have been wanting a Navy jacket for about two years now. About four weeks ago JC sent me a Monarch M-422 for sizing and I got hooked. Between the good reviews on this forum and the pics along with John's discription on his cd I thought the Cagleco contract new in the box was worth the risk. I just got very lucky on the fit.

I would like to put the jacket in storage but I know that won't happen. It will get some wear along with the Monarch when it arrives. I can tell you that after seeing this jacket I am even more impressed with John's work. His workmanship and materials are equal to the Cagleco in every way. It's just not 54 years old :)

Peter Graham

767fo said:
I would like to put the jacket in storage but I know that won't happen. It will get some wear along with the Monarch when it arrives.
Good man. It's too nice to hide away.

Rutger

Wow, incredible, unwrapping that must have been an enormous thrill & pleasure.

Time warp machine indeed!

I guess on ebay the price might easily have been more than that, how often in your life can you expect this to happen?

watchmanjimg

Rutger said:
Wow, incredible, unwrapping that must have been an enormous thrill & pleasure.

Time warp machine indeed!

I guess on ebay the price might easily have been more than that, how often in your life can you expect this to happen?

This jacket may or may not have brought more money on Ebay, but in any case I agree with you. How many such examples exist in the entire world anymore? $1700 is a lot of money, but Allen wound up with a lot of jacket. For the $650 difference between this Cagleco and Goodwear's Monarch Allen scored a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so once again I applaud his decision to purchase.

I don't always say this about vintage militaria, but in this case I agree that Allen should wear the jacket. Unfortunately leather will eventually break down no matter how hard we work to avoid it, so why not enjoy the process?

RCSignals

m444uk said:
RCSignals said:
CBI said:
OMG on Stuart's site it was/is $1,700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well yeah, sealed in the box complete with 1957 air. I hope Allen saved the air.

When I opened my airtight bag I probably got a whiff of 1950's anti-mothing agent. Probably
something horrible like DDT ! See the bottle of moth killer here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddt

Oh no doubt a good whiff of mothing agent.
I suspect you'll be OK. As with anything the biggest problem with DDT is indiscriminate use, it remains controversial but has had benefit controlling disease.

Clark J

Nice jacket no doubt!,,,,but what do you do now????wear it and it goes down in $$,,do you just put back in the box?DON"T get me wrong it's a great piece but it's just an early G-1.I know these early models don't grow on trees but even a real nice used large LW goes for around 400 bills tops!$1700ish for this even if you have the $$$,,,,I guess I'm not getting it even if it's NIB.

watchmanjimg

Clark J said:
Nice jacket no doubt!,,,,but what do you do now????wear it and it goes down in $$,,do you just put back in the box?DON"T get me wrong it's a great piece but it's just an early G-1.I know these early models don't grow on trees but even a real nice used large LW goes for around 400 bills tops!$1700ish for this even if you have the $$$,,,,I guess I'm not getting it even if it's NIB.

Clark, I hear you but Allen's jacket is "just an early G-1" like your beautiful '62 Impala is "just an old car." It's all in the eye of the beholder.

As to the price, we're not talking about a repro here be it new or used. If we were, the closest comparison is probably the Goodwear Monarch M-422 at $1050 new. When you look at the situation this way it's not really a question of the $1700 but rather the difference in cost between the two jackets. If we consider the cost of some of the Buzz Rickson or Few jackets Allen may have actually saved money.

I agree that it will go down in value if he wears it, but so what? The true value of the jacket lies in the opportunity to own 1957 in a box--or out of it. Just my 170,000 cents . . . :D

Andrew

When you spot another one of these in a 46 from the same period in good nic for $400 drop me a line please Clark. I've been looking in all the wrong places :cry:

RCSignals

it's one of those puzzles. What good is it in the box? What good is it if it isn't worn once opened?
He's bought it, opened it, tried it on, why not wear it once in a while?
Who wouldn't be tempted to do just that?

Weasel_Loader

Agree. I don't see a thing wrong with price paid or close to it. Especially when you consider people paying almost that same amount for Japanese repro leather and nylon. :shock: