• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 USN Ground Crew / Deck Jacket, Navy Contract NxsX96660

Bluebottle

Thought I'd take a few photos of this jacket at the weekend, although I acquired it back in 2006.

A not so common US Navy Deck Jacket, brought in to replace the more common heavy blue drill deck jackets, and I think the immediate predecessor to the ubiquitous N-1 Deck Jacket?
This example is from early 1945 according to the Navy Contract NxsX96660 number just inside the collar.
If anyone has more info on this type of jacket I'd love to hear it! I've only seen one other photo of them.
I was told they were ground crew jackets? Maybe shore based rather that for ship use? (Hence the exposed zip?)
No USN markings at all, unless they've all faded!
I always thought it was a civilian jacket, it's only in the last couple of years I've been told it is USN issue.

The zip and knits were replaced. The jacket is threadbare in the usual places from a lot of wear, but still gets an airing occasionally.

US Navy WW2 Ground Crew / Deck Jacket
by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

B-Man2

That’s a new one for me. Never knew they existed. Great jacket to start researching.

Tom Bowers

When I worked at an old school Army Navy store many many years ago (almost 30) we had one of those come in and could not figure out what it was

Yours is only the second one I've ever seen.

Wonderful jacket

Tom Bowers

MeachamLake

As we proved with the photos of the Seabees jackets, it seems that there are still quite a few jackets out there that we know very little about. This looks to be really cool - never seen this before myself!

Carl

Thought I'd take a few photos of this jacket at the weekend, although I acquired it back in 2006.

A not so common US Navy Deck Jacket, brought in to replace the more common heavy blue drill deck jackets, and I think the immediate predecessor to the ubiquitous N-1 Deck Jacket?
This example is from early 1945 according to the Navy Contract NxsX96660 number just inside the collar.
If anyone has more info on this type of jacket I'd love to hear it! I've only seen one other photo of them.
I was told they were ground crew jackets? Maybe shore based rather that for ship use? (Hence the exposed zip?)
No USN markings at all, unless they've all faded!
I always thought it was a civilian jacket, it's only in the last couple of years I've been told it is USN issue.

The zip and knits were replaced. The jacket is threadbare in the usual places from a lot of wear, but still gets an airing occasionally.

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

by Mike, on Flickr

@Bluebottle bingo !!!!!!! I dont know if this is going to be of any help , but while searching for N1 jacket makers , i have noticed some manufacturers record US Navy contracts for a "field jacket" and lo and behold ive found the contract details for your jacket shown !!!

BINGO

Bluebottle

Good bit of detective work Carl! I'll be very interested to see what the contract details are.

@Bluebottle bingo !!!!!!! I dont know if this is going to be of any help , but while searching for N1 jacket makers , i have noticed some manufacturers record US Navy contracts for a "field jacket" and lo and behold ive found the contract details for your jacket shown !!!

BINGO

Carl

Good bit of detective work Carl! I'll be very interested to see what the contract details are.
this is all i have , so i hope it helps . This is how it is listed in my list

Bradford Clothes Inc New York Jackets trousers XSX 96660 award date 3/45 completion date 10/45 contract value $503K

Thomas Koehle

These things are rare as chickenteeth - I saw that other post on denimbro some time ago but never not any details

Cool find

Giantbear Simmers

jacket.jpg
Good Afternoon, I am new to the forum and I have a plethora of questions, I am sure most of which someone has already asked. So, please accept my apology in advance. I have a jacket that I have purchased many years ago. I initially purchased it for my son who wore it for a short time and then he passed it to his younger brother who wore it a handful of times and complained it was itchy. The jacket was in retirement for sometime until my wife was looking to purchase a new jacket or something...She scoffed at wearing it...I love it. Unfortunately for me the jacket is like six times to small. (I have a natural winter coat year around...) Okay, the jacket is missing the tag from natural wear, it is of the N-1 variant I am sure...I am in the process of taking some photos for more details. One big question is about stenciling....The back of the jacket has been stenciled. I am not sure if the format of the stencil is a common way for a particular year, duty station, or perhaps ship? It is this that brought me to your forum. Thank you for your time and efforts in the matters.View attachment 12596

B-Man2

Please post some additional photos of the full front of the jacket and the label. The stenciling is typical of a military stencil, possibly WWII or Korean War but we need to see the front and label to give you an accurate response.

Thomas Koehle

View attachment 12597 Good Afternoon, I am new to the forum and I have a plethora of questions, I am sure most of which someone has already asked. So, please accept my apology in advance. I have a jacket that I have purchased many years ago. I initially purchased it for my son who wore it for a short time and then he passed it to his younger brother who wore it a handful of times and complained it was itchy. The jacket was in retirement for sometime until my wife was looking to purchase a new jacket or something...She scoffed at wearing it...I love it. Unfortunately for me the jacket is like six times to small. (I have a natural winter coat year around...) Okay, the jacket is missing the tag from natural wear, it is of the N-1 variant I am sure...I am in the process of taking some photos for more details. One big question is about stenciling....The back of the jacket has been stenciled. I am not sure if the format of the stencil is a common way for a particular year, duty station, or perhaps ship? It is this that brought me to your forum. Thank you for your time and efforts in the matters.View attachment 12596

Well as per my knowledge there was not a real standard issued for the stenciling of gear/garment at the USN.

So there are a lot of different varieties out there. Just for example check on EBay for deck jackets and you can find a lot of other examples there.

Finally as far as I know deck jackets have not been issued as individual equipment/ garment but issued to vessels/ departments / crews and therefore mostly marked with ship names or other sometimes really cryptic abbreviations.

Bluebottle

Please forgive the long absence from the forum guys! I've got a few interests, this one took a back seat for a while.

I've got someone interested in this jacket, so I've been looking around trying to work out a value. I love the jacket to bits, but it's a tad small for me. I wear a second hand Pike Bros deck jacket as a kick around in winter. It's perfect as I can use properly and not feel precious about it. As for value, I kick figures around but as I'm not desperate to sell it just goes back in the cupboard and I forget about it. I think the worst thing is I see some deck jackets go for really high prices, in the thousands, and I think is this rare jacket in the same league?? Or are these just vintage dealer chancers? I understand rarity doesn't always equate to value! If no ones heard of it there's no demand ;-)

While I was looking online I found this jacket turned up on ebay. No new info, and all their reference seems to have been picked from this thread or the Denimbr one. Similar condition, but original knits I think. I thought I'd tack it on here though.

Last edited: