• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 pattern summer flying gloves

Greg Gale

ELC offers this horsehide 1942 pattern summer flying gloves:

Eastman-Leather-1942-Pattern-Flying-Gloves.jpg

I own a pair and they're superb. However, I can't seem to find many pictures of pilots wearing this. How come? Was it usually too cold for these? I found some pictures but they are more yellowish - was that due to all the dirt that accumulated on the gloves?

This pilot seems to be wearing the same gloves:
nored56a.jpg

Blakeslee's gloves look similar, but much darker - is it just dirty?

f92756667b4bca697982e705fce87b6a.jpg

Does anyone have more pics/ info on these gloves, please?

Gio80

Does anyone have more pics/ info on these gloves, please?

Greg, may be I arrived late, but I see it now :)
I don't know why ELC call this gloves summer flying gloves, perhaps were used by pilots too, but they are famous because of US paratroopers in WWII.
They are known as Horsehide paratrooper/cavalry riding gloves and there were two patterns, 1938 with buckles, and 1942 with not.

The first pattern (1938) comes from gloves used by the cavalry, and were issued to the paratrooper and other branches of the us army like tankers in WWII. The second pattern (1942), was the late one and become famous in D-Day.

Some pics of original gloves took from web may help:
800px-Paratrooper_applies_war_paint_111-SC-193551cropped.jpg
gloves-riding.jpg

1938 pattern
SCARCE-1ST-PATTERN-CAVALRY-PARATROOPER-HORSEHIDE-GLOVES-2.jpg
SCARCE-1ST-PATTERN-CAVALRY-PARATROOPER-HORSEHIDE-GLOVES-3.jpg
SCARCE-1ST-PATTERN-CAVALRY-PARATROOPER-HORSEHIDE-GLOVES-6.jpg

1942 pattern like your:
i282600889596221795._szw1280h1280_.jpg

How is it said? Better late then... :)

Cocker

Never saw this tread before!

Indeed, I don't know why ELC advises thoe as flying gloves neither... I guess they sell more like this!

Gio80

Here you go. Pretty dirty already but still not yellowish. Maybe it needs more wear or elc got the color wrong?

Thanks Greg :)
Very very nice, I like how they got aged.
I always noticed that 1942 pattern ELC gloves are quite grey...like faded yellow. Strange.
By the way, they are really nice with good trim. I think they give a good feel wearing as well.

Here mine from SOF. Are the same gloves used for the FURY movie.
image1.jpeg

Gio80

Found this nice picture on web :) Pilot of 79th FS wearing 1942 pattern gloves.
Honestly, is the first time I see these gloves worn by a pilot, as already said 1939 and 1942 patterns were offen worn by paratroopers...of course tankers and pilots as well.

IMG_2557.JPG

B-Man2

Found this nice picture on web :) Pilot of 79th FS wearing 1942 pattern gloves.
Honestly, is the first time I see these gloves worn by a pilot, as already said 1939 and 1942 patterns were offen worn by paratroopers...of course tankers and pilots as well.

View attachment 45547
Great photo ... shows examples of an A2 , a B-6 , and a B-3 . Also notice how the skull on the patch on the A2 and the aircraft face the opposite of each other . Interesting .

B-Man2

If I learned one thing from putting the “ Hilts look on a budget “ thread together, it was you dont always have to buy ELC or top tier products at ridiculously high prices to achieve the look you’re trying to duplicate . So with that in mind Check these out and tell me what you think.

840FA59E-7A2D-4CA4-B6A5-B2E2AAC33AB8.png
9C8947FB-D440-403F-ACBE-7C1C0DAF12DF.png

Enigma1938

Great photo ... shows examples of an A2 , a B-6 , and a B-3 . Also notice how the skull on the patch on the A2 and the aircraft face the opposite of each other . Interesting .

What's it about the cuffs of the B3 on the photo? Did the man rolled them up or why does it look so "unusual"?

Gio80

If I learned one thing from putting the “ Hilts look on a budget “ thread together, it was you dont always have to buy ELC or top tier products at ridiculously high prices to achieve the look you’re trying to duplicate . So with that in mind Check these out and tell me what you think.

I am agree and I can understand, then it depends on how much you love the details and if you like to "invest" on them. :)
I don't think to be the right person can say something about, after seen pics from Grag Gale and Wholenineyards's gloves, I went for ELC glove as well EHEHEH!

BTW, one more pic of 55TH FS wearing those gloves

media-376954.jpg

Gio80

Some questions about ELC 1942 pattern gloves.
As I said above, I own a pair of them, I really like them, but I don't know yet if the size is it ok. I need a comparison and an opinion.

So the matter is that the circumference of my knuckles is 20cm, according to the ELC size chart, I am halfway between XS and S.
First, I went for XS, but unfortunately my hands did not enter inside the gloves, I exchange them with an S.

My doubt now is, may I should pull the XS much more and try that the hands get in? Because the gloves came really stiff (was not easy to close the hand as well), but wearing, the leather gets soft and a bit large.

I like that the leather "falls" a bit like in the old pics above, but I am afraid they are a bit large.
What's your experience?

Here two pics taken some months ago when gloves just arrived.
I will post how they are now, soon.

Guanto 1.jpeg

Guanto 2.jpeg

Thanks.

Gio80

i got these a couple of years ago at WPG "What Price Glory" - back then they where prettyx cheap - material is very flexible and thin but still sturdy after the years

FfPYm3O.jpg

just checked on their homepage but seems they are sold out ...
They are similar to mine from SOF. Do you use them to drive car or motorcycle? I like drive with gloves.
I will repost the ELC ones when they get used like yours... not yet, they are still a bit stiff like a dry fish... saw pics above? :)

Many of the above look like the gloves I use when driving my horses.
Yes, they were also called cavalry gloves. That's why I like them, they remind me of western movies too