• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 A-8B

Edward

6923E98B-16C2-4741-B218-3634C16FDBC6.jpeg

Edward

additional info about the rubber turret covers highlighted in the text below from the book Combat Flying Equipment by C.G. Sweeting

IMG_1590.jpg

Edward

I don't think I've ever seen any mic in an A-8B! :p I feel they didn't bother and just used throat mic or a T-17 handheld.

dmar836

Hey in the pic of the 91st navigator there is a manifold(or a fixed regulator) behind him with an O2 extension hose clamped to it! Not sure where it goes but maybe to another regulator he's using for the A8? Had never seen that before.
Dave

Edward

Hey in the pic of the 91st navigator there is a manifold(or a fixed regulator) behind him with an O2 extension hose clamped to it! Not sure where it goes but maybe to another regulator he's using for the A8? Had never seen that before.
Dave
nice catch and good eyes! some version of the Diluter Demand Oxygen Regulator. Bendix I believe made most if not all of them that were attached to tanks aboard the planes. looks like the standard A-10/A-14 oxygen hose. I wonder if there was an adaptor for the A-8B or if he is jacked into an A-8 or A-9 Bendix elsewhere.

dmar836

I’m assuming the later since I have never seen an adapter. It could very well be that the hoses like that one and those I have(fabric covered) were in service for other O2 lines long before the larger a-10/14 hoses and regulators came out. I’m sure if we keep the subject going more evidence will pop up.
Dave

Carl

Dave
Thats what i was on about Dave when i mentioned the end of your hose .

Edward

I'm cross threading from my other post but to cap off this thread (other than any new developments) I replaced the A-13 regulator on my A-4 walk around bottle with the earlier A-9A regulator so the A-8B oxygen mask hooks up to it.
I feel I have successfully completed my investigation and answered questions I had about the early walk around bottles, regulators and masks. thanks to all of you and the info found in the AN 03-50B-2 1943 AAF oxygen mask A-8B Handbook :D

IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG